Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oh this is funny. Bowden offered Soriano to the Reds for...

Re: Oh this is funny. Bowden offered Soriano to the Reds for...

I still wouldn't trade Dunn for Soriano.

He strikes out too much
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would only do this if Soriano was a sure bet to resign with the Reds.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Looks like the Nats getting Soriano wasn't one of the stupidest trades ever after all. He put up a pretty good year for them.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I would only do this if Soriano was a sure bet to resign with the Reds.
    The key to this topic, Soriano is making 17mill this year, who else would have had to go to pay for that?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Looks like the Nats getting Soriano wasn't one of the stupidest trades ever after all. He put up a pretty good year for them.

Since they didn't get anything for him last year, I think that was pretty dumb.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Jimbo got a draft pick that he can use on a 7 tool guy
    Go Gators!

Getting Soriano was a shrewd move.

Letting him go to free agency and getting only a draft pick in return was a sad failure.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Jimbo got a draft pick that he can use on a 7 tool guy
    Do tell more.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    ADAM DUNN...NOT ONCE BUT 3 different times. Man this guy must have really thought DanO was an idiot.
    Well, he did give Eric Milton 3 years & $27 Million.

If that doesn't make you a card-carrying member of the Idiot Association, I don't know what does.

Speaking of idiots, whatever happened to the Idiot Mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Was getting Guzman in 1999 a dumb move? After all, he walked and they didn't get anything. What about getting Greg Vaughn? Was that a dumb move?

The point is that everyone said it was dumb to trade for Soriano. He put up a great season. That's entirely different from the decision to trade Soriano for the best offer in July or take a draft pick. Teams grab one year rentals all the time.

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Getting Soriano was a shrewd move.

Letting him go to free agency and getting only a draft pick in return was a sad failure.

It all depends on what Bowden was offered for Soriano.. If it was just a couple Brian Reiths, a draft pick was better.

Also, Bowden is able to extract high prices in trades because he occasionally will just sit on the guy and let him walk as opposed to always settling for the best offer. It may have helped him get more for Vidro and Hernandez later.
    It's part of the cost of his style.

Also, we don't know if the ownership made a legitimate effort to try to resign Soriano or not..

The point is, that just taking the best offer available isn't necessarily the best move.

It all depends on what Bowden was offered for Soriano.. If it was just a couple Brian Reiths, a draft pick was better.

Also, Bowden is able to extract high prices in trades because he occasionally will just sit on the guy and let him walk as opposed to always settling for the best offer. It may have helped him get more for Vidro and Hernandez later.
    It's part of the cost of his style.

Also, we don't know if the ownership made a legitimate effort to try to resign Soriano or not..

The point is, that just taking the best offer available isn't necessarily the best move.
    I understand that, but there were plenty of teams looking for big bats at the trade deadline last season, and many of them could well afford to re-sign Soriano. I doubt the best offer he received was on par with a couple of Brian Reiths.

I think it's a safe assumption that Jimbo received offers involving better prospects than he could find in the draft, but he held out for a blockbuster deal that never materialized.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post

I think it's a safe assumption that Jimbo received offers involving better prospects than he could find in the draft, but he held out for a blockbuster deal that never materialized.

Yes, I'm sure he was holding out for the motherload return and didn't get it.

My point is, the next time he negotiates with those teams, they'll realize that he will walk from the table if he doesn't get what he wants. That's worth something too.

Let's say instead of a handful of Reiths, he was offered a Freel and a Coffey.
    That's better than a first round pick (due to the odds of a first round pick making it).. On the other hand, would adding a Freel and Coffey to the Nationals make that much of a difference? I can see him holding out for an impact player..

My point is, the next time he negotiates with those teams, they'll realize that he will walk from the table if he doesn't get what he wants. That's worth something too.
    That's worth something to the other GM's as well, they know that if Bowden keeps at that he'll be fired before long
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    That's worth something to the other GM's as well, they know that if Bowden keeps at that he'll be fired before long
    I would've probably taken the best offer that was respectable too..

But I wouldn't have had the gall to ask for Kearns and Lopez for Maj and Bray.
    I'd be too worried the other GM would die laughing.

He did well in the Hernandez and Vidro trades as well, IMO.

I can understand why people don't like Bowden, but he is good at the trading game when he's not forced to trade someone due to a salary dump.

Turn Off Ads?