Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Commission approves plan for new Yankee stadium (2/22)

Commission approves plan for new Yankee stadium (2/22)

February 22, 2006
    Commission approves plan for new Yankee stadium

NEW YORK (AP) -- A city commission voted on Wednesday to approve a plan to build a new stadium for the New York Yankees in the Bronx.

The unanimous approval by the City Planning Commission sends the plan for the privately financed $800 million project to the City Council, which must vote on final approval within two months.

"A new facility would be a benefit to both the Yankees and the city," Commission Chair Amanda Burden said. "The commitment by the Yankees to invest $800 million to construct this new stadium immediately north of the existing stadium is representative of the new faith in a resurgent South Bronx."

The new ballpark will be just north of the current stadium, which opened in 1923, and the Yankees have said they hope to break ground this spring.

"This project will create thousands of jobs, new and improved parklands and benefits and opportunities for the residents of the Bronx, the City of New York and visitors alike," Yankees president Randy Levine said after the 12-0 vote.

The current Yankee Stadium is the third-oldest ballpark in the major leagues, trailing only Boston's Fenway Park (1912) and the Chicago Cubs' Wrigley Field (1914).

Last summer the Yankees unveiled a model of the planned ballpark, which on the outside will be treated with limestone and resemble Yankee Stadium before its 1974-75 renovation. The ballpark will seat from 50,800 to 54,000 people; the current ballpark seats about 57,000.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Commission approves plan for new Yankee stadium (2/22)

Last summer the Yankees unveiled a model of the planned ballpark, which on the outside will be treated with limestone and resemble Yankee Stadium before its 1974-75 renovation.
    That sentence alone makes me support their efforts to build a new Yankee Stadium. They ruined the park with their mid-70s efforts to make it look "modern". If only architect Babe Ruth were still around, we could ask his opinion.

Not holding the tax payers up makes me smile.

Heck the yanks could afford to build every team a stadium.
    Go Gators!

Spirit of 1976

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but there just is something not quite right about replacing the House the Ruth Built. Yankee Stadium is arguable *the* most revered place in baseball, and in a sport that so reveres its tradition, it seems fitting that the stadium be used as long as the integrity of the building allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldonado
    Maybe I'm just old fashioned but there just is something not quite right about replacing the House the Ruth Built. Yankee Stadium is arguable *the* most revered place in baseball, and in a sport that so reveres its tradition, it seems fitting that the stadium be used as long as the integrity of the building allows.
    I agree.

I've been there many times and just thinking about it being imploded brings tears to my eyes. I wish they'd at least make the new one an exact replica.

IMHO, Yankee Stadium has it all over Wrigley.

Sounds like it's going to be one pricey place. $800 million! And that's only the Yankees' portion. I wonder if there are additional "investors".
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Haunted by walks

The Yankees money will come out of the revenue sharing they're already paying.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    That sentence alone makes me support their efforts to build a new Yankee Stadium. They ruined the park with their mid-70s efforts to make it look "modern". If only architect Babe Ruth were still around, we could ask his opinion.
    The original architects are http://www.osborn-eng.com/markets_sports.html

Pay attention to the open sky

Spirit of 1976

"Sounds like it's going to be one pricey place. $800 million! And that's only the Yankees' portion. I wonder if there are additional "investors"."

Has there ever been a sports facility to break the billion dollar mark? I don't think I've heard of one. Sounds like the new Yankee Stadium will do it.

WOW...The Yankees organization are making a push for new facilities with all of their teams...The Clippers, their AAA affiliate in Columbus will be getting a new stadium in Downtown Columbus in two years.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

They should name the new place, "Revenue Sharing Exemption Stadium."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Okay, so then the contractor was Babe Ruth. I know he had somthing to do with it. Otherwise, they wouldn't call it The House That Ruth Built.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003

Exactly.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    I stopped minding when the Reds stopped getting revenue sharing
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?