Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dennis Weaver of TV/movies dies at 81

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Dennis Weaver of TV/movies dies at 81

These things seem to happen in 3's...

Just heard on CNN that Dennis Weaver has died (last Friday I believe).

He was great as Chester in the early Gunsmoke TV series.

No link to give you yet.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dennis Weaver of TV/movies dies at 81

no more Sam McCloud.

McCloud and the Night Stalker join Commissioner Stewart McMillan in the afterlife.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...home-headlines

From the Los Angeles Times
    Actor Dennis Weaver Dies at 81
    From Associated Press

9:41 AM PST, February 27, 2006

Dennis Weaver, the gimpy, slow-witted deputy Chester Goode in the TV classic western "Gunsmoke" and the New Mexico deputy solving New York crime in "McCloud," has died, his publicist said today. The actor was 81.

Weaver died of complications from cancer on Feb. 24 at his home in Ridgway, in southwestern Colorado, publicist Julian Myers said.

A struggling actor in Hollywood in 1955, Weaver was earning $60 a week delivering flowers when he was offered $300 a week for a role in a new CBS television series, "Gunsmoke." He learned that another actor had turned down the same role at $400 a week. Weaver summoned his courage and asked for and got $400. By the end of his nine years with "Gunsmoke," he was earning $9,000 a week.

When Weaver first auditioned for the series, he found the character of Chester "inane." He wrote in his 2001 autobiography, "All the World's a Stage," that he said to himself: "With all my Actors Studio training, I'll correct this character by using my own experiences and drawing from myself."

The result was a well-rounded character that appealed to audiences, especially with his drawling, "Mis-ter Dil-lon."

At the end of seven hit seasons, Weaver sought other horizons. He announced his departure, but the failures of pilots for his own series caused him to return to "Gunsmoke" on a limited basis for two more years. The role brought him an Emmy in the 1958-59 season.

R.I.P. Weaver was always good. I remember him starring in "Duel," a TV movie made in the early 1970s by a young director by the name of Steven Spielsberg.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

La Dolce Vita

The other day when I saw an online headline that mentioned an actor who had played a deputy had died, I immediately thought of Dennis Weaver instead of Don Knotts for some reason. Now another favorite is gone.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    R.I.P. Weaver was always good. I remember him starring in "Duel," a TV movie made in the early 1970s by a young director by the name of Steven Spielsberg.
    that was one nasty, possessed truck.

Dennis Weaver is one of my favorites... I absolutely loved McCloud and watched it on WGN up until recently, when they discontinued showing it with any frequency.

He's been in a lot of TV movies that I liked as well. Last year he played the grandpa on Wildfire... I wondered why the character is no longer on the show this year; now I know.

You will be missed, Mr. Weaver.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Man another one gone. I really liked him as McCloud. I saw Duel not that long ago and he was very good in that off beat movie.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 02-27-2006 at 01:30 PM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    That director later changed his name to Steven Spielberg
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    That director later changed his name to Steven Spielberg
    I never claimed to be a good typist
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I met Dennis Weaver many times in the mid to late '80's when he would visit our office. The company I worked for at the time was pretty socially active and Dennis Weaver and Valarie Harper spent a lot of time there on behalf of L.I.F.E. (Love Is Feeding Everyone). Dennis was very likeable and always seemed to be smiling. He was also very committed and was one of the few people I've met that not only championed a cause but lived it. He was a good man and I'm not sure anyone can say anything more complimentary about someone. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Rem

another actor i greatly respected.
    first think i thought of when i heard he died was his roll as the off-beat hotel clerk in A Touch of Evil, then his magnificent roll in Duel
    then, of course, there was McCloud.
    Dennis, you will be missed.

Turn Off Ads?