Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your (Or Someone You Know's) Weirdest Habit/Hangup

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Your (Or Someone You Know's) Weirdest Habit/Hangup

Everybody does something that they just can't stop doing- or at least knows someone who has a habit like this. Or, we all know someone who has weird rules for themselves, like someone who will only take showers but not baths.

I, for instance, cannot stop cracking my thumbs. I crack them all the time, and have ever since I had surgery on one of them. I don't crack my index finger or anything other than my thumbs.

Also, I don't mind drinking after someone, but I absolutely cannot do it if it's milk. I have no idea where this came from, but milk is in a separate category for me.

I will also not watch any animal being harmed on television, no matter if it's real or not. I'll watch those National Geographic specials all day but once they show the slowest zebra getting attacked, I'm out. I understand it happens in real life, but my theory is we all use the bathroom in real life, too, and no one wants to see that on television either. If I wanted reality, I wouldn't be watching television, I'd just go look out the window.

One of my best friends has a rule where he cannot sleep with a girl if he knows anyone else that has had relations with her. He also applies this rule to famous people, so if he knows, for example, that Matthew Broderick has had sex with Sarah Jessica Parker, then he doesn't find her attractive at all because of this. It is the most annoying and strange thing I have ever seen.

Me: Would you do Eva Longoria?
    Him: Nope. That dude from 'N Sync was with her. That's gross.

He'll apply it to his personal life, too. The girl doesn't have to be the big 'v," he just cannot be familiar with the guy who was with the girl. If he sees the dude, she's crossed off his list.

This may tank as a thread idea, but I thought I'd throw some of these out there to see if anyone else some strange stuff to pass along.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your (Or Someone You Know's) Weirdest Habit/Hangup

Man Dom, you're weird. :

Not really. Actually I do some of the same stuff. But I'm not going to say what.

But I am a no bath person. It just grosses me out. Showers only. And I have never understood how people can take a shower at night, go to bed, then just get up and get dressed. Ick. Morning shower.

And I buy a new toothbrush at least once a month, if not more often. Usually more often.

I'm sure there are more.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    And I have never understood how people can take a shower at night, go to bed, then just get up and get dressed. Ick. Morning shower.
    I'm a morning shower person too, but I have to interject that this is a weird hangup.

Unless you sweat like a pig in your sleep or unless you never wash your sheets, are you really going to get "dirty" in a 7 hour period where you basically don't move? (I realize I'm setting you up for a retort of "well ya know, chili, not all of us just LIE THERE in bed all night... heh heh)

I have one showering quirk, myself. We keep our house at 65 or colder all winter, and I can handle that. But I hate being cold when I get out of the shower (cold + wet = chili-not-happy). As a habit, I try to lay out every piece of clothing that I'm going to wear the next day... socks, tie, underwear, etc., put it on a hanger and hang it in the bathroom. That way I can be "cold" for only a few seconds. After four years of marriage, my wife is still amused by getting up to wee wee in the middle of the night and seeing undies and socks staring at her from the towel rack.
    Stick to your guns.

here is just a very small sample of my "issues" and believe me, there are lots more...some are just too embarrassing to write down...
    -i always take some breath mints to work...but the weird thing is that it must be an even amount...i have literally counted out 30 mints for a weekend trip..

-a no "number 2" rule at work...if mother nature calls, i drive all the way home to oblige...then must take a shower afterwords...

-constantly washing hands...if no soap, then i have those anti-bacterial wipes with me...if eating out in a restaurant, the salt & pepper shakers get wiped down, as well as the ketchup bottle...

-never touching a door handle or shopping cart with my bare hands...this is why we have paper towels...if no paper towels...in an emergency, some part of your shirt will do...

-most people's feet gross me out, but yet, i'm compelled to look at their toes whenever they wear sandles...

I sleep under 3 blankets with the ceiling fan on. All but the coldest of nights. And I still wake up sweating, especially in the spring/ summer. It's the humidity, I think.

This thread will simply show the Jerry Seinfeld, George Constanza, Elaine Benis, and Kramer in all of us.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago
    here is just a very small sample of my "issues" and believe me, there are lots more...some are just too embarrassing to write down...
    -i always take some breath mints to work...but the weird thing is that it must be an even amount...i have literally counted out 30 mints for a weekend trip..

-a no "number 2" rule at work...if mother nature calls, i drive all the way home to oblige...then must take a shower afterwords...

-constantly washing hands...if no soap, then i have those anti-bacterial wipes with me...if eating out in a restaurant, the salt & pepper shakers get wiped down, as well as the ketchup bottle...

-never touching a door handle or shopping cart with my bare hands...this is why we have paper towels...if no paper towels...in an emergency, some part of your shirt will do...

-most people's feet gross me out, but yet, i'm compelled to look at their toes whenever they wear sandles...
    Wait a minute.... I know you! Why the &*%# did you fire Sharona?!!!!!

Stick to your guns.

I always sit on an aisle seat. I feel absolutely trapped and a little freaked out when I can't. In fact, I'd rather stand ..... which I've done at games.

I never take the top or the front item in a store. For example, I'll lift the top newspaper in a stack and get the next one.

Also, leftovers expire rapidly in my mind. Leftovers can only be a day old, unless they were frozen.

..... and cutting the mold off cheese or bread so you can eat it is just ghastly. You people know who you are!

I'll cut mold off cheese, if it's just a little bit. Not bread tho.

This week, we had a couple of loaves of bread go bad started to ferment somehow. No visible mold, but the bottom of the loaves were damp and smelled of alcohol.

Red in Chicago - the pairs thing - I'm with you there. But mine are M&M's and Pringles. I have to match up M&M's in same-colored pairs to eat them. If there aren't even pairs, then they have to be matched in complementary colors. If there is an extra, it can go with a pair, as a family.

And Pringles just have to be eaten in pairs. No singles.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I always sit on an aisle seat. I feel absolutely trapped and a little freaked out when I can't. In fact, I'd rather stand ..... which I've done at games.

I never take the top or the front item in a store. For example, I'll lift the top newspaper in a stack and get the next one.
    I'm with you on the above, especially the need to sit on an aisle seat. I really do not like to sit in the middle of an aisle or seat, be it at a sporting event, movies, church, or just riding in a vehicle.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago

Are you sure your name isn't Adrian Monk?

Ooops, I didn't read the later posts. Looks like someone else had the same idea.

I guess that's one of my "things"... I respond to posts right away as I read them.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I used to have this one, too, but I must say that by tossing it out the window (the habit, not the byproduct ) it has made life so much easier. I can shop for longer, be comfortable at work longer- and all due to a Dateline report that basically showed that the toilet would have to be absolutely hideous for you to even have a chance of catching something.

I also used to hate for anyone to hear me doing my thing, but I just don't care anymore and it's great. Not that I try to be loud or anything, but I no longer exert force only between restroom visitors.

never touching a door handle or shopping cart with my bare hands...this is why we have paper towels...if no paper towels...in an emergency, some part of your shirt will do...
    I used to worry about this sort of thing, too, RIC. Then I realized that this is what we have skin for. It's the largest organ of the body and it's job is to protect our insides from dangerous things. If I place a paper towel on something, then I have to be careful not to touch the paper towel, and there are just some times when that's not practical. If I am throwing paper towels away, then I am coming in contact with more trash receptacles...it just seems like an endless cycle of worrying about something I have no control over. Germs not only exist on things, they float through the air, so the paper towel probably isn't helping.

Again, after watching Dateline and seeing just how much of other people's feces and germs we come in contact with and how there is just no way around it- I just let go of worrying about this stuff.

RIC- you rock for posting all of this.

I'm a lot like RIC.

I must have an apple juice a day, I know it's a joke around here but it's true..I used to ONLY drink it..now 1 a day..it keeps me calm
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?