Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Idol...your thoughts on who got cut

American Idol...your thoughts on who got cut

Bobby Bennett and the tall pale girl were no-brainers. Could see those cuts a mile away.

Becky O'Donahue's early departure surprised me...although I never thought she had a chance to win the whole thing.

I won't miss any of the three mentioned above.

I was surprised/disappointed to see Patrick Hall go so early. I thought he had great potential and would have liked to seen him go at least a couple more rounds to see what he could bring.

My fam thought David (the crooner) would get cut tonight. Still think he will soon.

We think there are about six or eight contestants with legit shots at the title:
    Chris (probably a long shot but we like him a lot)
    Mandisa (another long shot but we really like her too)
    Katherine (could easily win the whole thing)
    Lisa Tucker (will probably finish in the top three because her vocals are so strong)
    Paris (has to be a clear favorite)
    Ace (probably the leading male candidate)
    Elliot (think he lacks appeal--needs to lose the Amish look)
    Kelly (no way she wins it all but she's so adorable and her story will carry her a long way)

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by max venable; 02-23-2006 at 10:11 PM.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: American Idol...your thoughts on who got cut

Still early...but leaning towards Paris ...kelly is fun to watch
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

Horrible, just Horrible. They all need to go. And start over by scratch.

According to CNN, Becky and her twin sister are in a photo spread for MAXIM. According to CNN it includes bikini shots and open baseball shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    According to CNN, Becky and her twin sister are in a photo spread for MAXIM. According to CNN it includes bikini shots and open baseball shirts.

So, you think these pics had anything to do with her getting whacked? You think American Idol just said, "You're gone?" Or do they even care about stuff like that?

No wonder Becky didn't seem to mind getting cut. She's already getting paid.

I am pulling for Kelly to make at least the top Six for the Ladies. She has a great story and a pretty good voice when she not nervous.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I was surprised/disappointed to see Patrick Hall go so early. I thought he had great potential and would have liked to seen him go at least a couple more rounds to see what he could bring.
    This is why you don't do "stretch" songs. That song swallowed that guy whole. "Come to my Window" needs to be done by a strong voice and poor Patrick just didn't have the chops for that song. He said he didn't want to be remembered for "If," but unfortunately that's his thing. He should have stuck with something similar.

I hate the crooner. He is horrible and was lucky to survive tonight. That style of singing has been over for oh, 50 years, and how he thinks he can make it through on that one trick pony is beyond me.

Also the guy who sang "Shout" is awful. Just dreadful.

Taylor Hicks is a major wild card here. That guy killed ""Levon" last night- with the exception of a few bad notes, he was dead-on. The show loves him, too. They always save him for last because they know people will wait until the end to see him.

Chris has a much better shot than you are giving him credit for- best voice and I'm guessing the most versatile. So what if he just stands there- everytime those guys dance they get criticized for how bad they are. I'd super glue my feet to the ground and let the voice work for itself. Let the Bobby Brady dude kill himself with those cheesey moves and songs.

Ace is another major player here. "Father Figure" was killer.

The women all blend together to me with the exception of the little girl who sang "Midnight Train to Georgia." Real presence and confidence.

And just to repeat: the crooner needs to go. Now.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-23-2006 at 10:38 PM.

Just found this...

Apparently you can bet on anything (as if we didn't know). Here are the official odds for winning American Idol (as of last Friday):

Ace Young 7/2
    Katharine McPhee 4/1
    Paris Bennett 5/1
    Chris Daughtry 8/1
    Kellie Pickler 8/1
    Taylor Hicks 10/1
    Lisa Tucker 11/1
    Heather Cox 22/1
    Will Makar 24/1
    Stevie Scott 27/1
    Jose 'Sway' Penala 29/1
    Patrick Hall 31/1
    Becky O'Donohue 45/1
    Mandisa 47/1
    Ayla Brown 65/1
    Bobby Bennett 65/1
    Brenna Gethers 65/1
    Bucky Covington 65/1
    David Radford 65/1
    Elliott Yamin 65/1
    Kinnik Sky 65/1
    Gedeon McKinney 65/1
    Melissa McGhee 65/1
    Kevin Covias 65/1

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner

I hate the crooner. He is horrible and was lucky to survive tonight. That style of singing has been over for oh, 50 years, and how he thinks he can make it through on that one trick pony is beyond me.

Also the guy who sang "Shout" is awful. Just dreadful.

Taylor Hicks is a major wild card here. That guy killed ""Levon" last night- with the exception of a few bad notes, he was dead-on. The show loves him, too. They always save him for last because they know people will wait until the end to see him.

Chris has a much better shot than you are giving him credit for- best voice and I'm guessing the most versatile.

Ace is another major player here. "Father Figure" was killer.

The women all blend together to me with the exception of the little girl who sang "Midnight Train to Georgia." Real presence and confidence.

And just to repeat: the crooner needs to go. Now.
    Agree with most of what you wrote, Dom. The crooner is bad. And I REALLY like Taylor. Hope he sticks around for a long time. He's fun. Hope you're right about Chris. He's probably my favorite. Seems like a great guy (genuine and real).

Ace is the whole package and he did nail Father Figure. Found this out about him and thought it was interesting: Ace has opened for Brian McKnight and New Edition. He has also done some modeling, and he guest starred on an episode of UPN's 'Half and Half' as himself 'Ace'

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

And I REALLY like Taylor. Hope he sticks around for a long time. He's fun.
    He's going to be.

And how is anyone going to vote against that little kid who looks like Charlie Brown?

His voice is twenty times bigger than he is. Nerdy is cool sometimes, especially when you compare him to the other teen boys, like that crooner dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    And how is anyone going to vote against that little kid who looks like Charlie Brown?

His voice is twenty times bigger than he is. Nerdy is cool sometimes, especially when you compare him to the other teen boys, like that crooner dude.

This dude? Charlie Brown? I guess I see it but I like the Chicken Little comparison better.

I can't believe I actually watched it last night. My wife is a die hard. Anyhow, if we're talking strictly about vocal ability, the tall dude who got cut (not the Manilow guy) is considerably more talented than any of the other guys. Again, if we're talking solely about vocal quality. But I don't think he really showcased his voice this week. Keep in mind, I'm someone who really doesn't like Rock of any kind, nor much of the popular music of the last few decades. For some odd reason, anything hard has never really appeared to me. Being involved in music and musical theatre most of my life and being a piano player, I've always preferred music where people can actually sing, in the conventional sense of the term. That's not a rip on today's music as much as it's just a fact that popular music anymore is about the overall sound and not the vocals. For some reason it never resonated with me.

But the guy who was cut has an amazing vocal talent and could sing circles around most of the rest of the guys. He could sing things the rest couldn't even dream of singing. But it wouldn't be in the genre that sells today. His type of vocals is not the kind that would sell very well and definitely is not a good fit for the show, so I have no problem with him getting the boot. Plus, he didn't seem to have much personality which AI is about more than ability anyhow.

The brunette chic that was booted.... holy smokes. She's got super model written all over her. Unfortunately, she seemed to know it which is a total turn off for me. But I have to admit she is drop-dead gorgeous. But she was never long for this competition anyhow. But the cocky girl from New York REALLY needed to go. She's a *****, plus she was HORRIBLE.

The very last girl to perform RAWKED, IMO. She's EXACTLY the type of vocalist I would love to listen to, at least singing the type of song she sang that night. It's one of the few over the years I listened to and was REALLY impressed by (I'm hard to impress when it comes to singing because I've been around some amazing female singers in my life, including my wife). I absolutely loved the bluesy lounge type of selection. I just hope she sticks with that style and doesn't go all R&B on use like 99% of the women who have ever been on the show. That's been my problem over the years with the women is that they all sound the same, there's been nothing original. If she continues to sing the type of songs she did this week, I might actually watch this season.

Oh yeah. I GET IT! ACE IS NICE LOOKING. THEY'RE MAKING SUCH A SPECTACLE ABOUT IT THAT IT'S BECOME EMBARASSING!!! MOVE ON ALREAD. And sure he can sing a little, but he's not that talented vocally. He's OK and that's about it.

And kinda like last year where it was clear from the beginning that Carrie was gonig to win, Paris is going to win this year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I like Taylor. If this were the 70s, he'd sell a lot of albums.

I agree about the crooner. He was awful

The guy who did Earth Wind and Fire in falsetto was horrendous. I finally had to mute it. It was painful to listen to.

The guy who did Bon Jovi was really good, as was the guy who did the Stevie Wonder.

The Greg Brady guy is annoying as hell and I thought his MIchael Jackson song was cheesy. He can sing OK, but he's too cheesy.

I know everyone likes Kellie, but if she's the one who sang the country song (I think it was How Far), she missed ALOT of notes in a bad way.

The dorky young guy I thought was pretty bad. He sounded good on a few notes, but has no control or polish at all. He was off pitch conssitently throughout his whole performance.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    So, you think these pics had anything to do with her getting whacked? You think American Idol just said, "You're gone?" Or do they even care about stuff like that?
    I wasn't saying anything about the reasons why she got cut I'm just saying I saw the article (being in Australia have never actually seen her or American Idol) and based on the comments in the figure skating thread thought you'd all be interested.

I dawned on me who Elliott looks like:

Turn Off Ads?