Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: UC vs. Villinova update

  1. #1
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,042

    UC vs. Villinova update

    Game tied 72-72 with less than 1 minute left.

    Go Cats!!
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    No defense by McGowan at all on the inbound pass cost UC the game, un-friggin-believeable.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  4. #3
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,042

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    74-72 Final.

    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  5. #4
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    I didn't agree with Majerus on the charge. I didn't think it was an offensive foul. I thought it was questionable whether or not he was there first and the replay showed he turned leaning his left side forward.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  6. #5
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I didn't agree with Majerus on the charge. I didn't think it was an offensive foul. I thought it was questionable whether or not he was there first and the replay showed he turned leaning his left side forward.
    It was close, and in a close game like that it's usually a non-call. Under those circumstances (tied, under one minute) unless it's a blatent foul you should just let them play.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  7. #6
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    OMG, what a game!

    But a heartbreaking loss... it would have been HUGE if they could have pulled it off at the end.

    I love this team. They play with such heart.

    And Hicks... man ya gotta love the guy. He's all broken and still toughs it out... and effectively too.

    Might have ended up differently had White not fouled out.

    I was surprised to hear them say UC had the 7th toughest schedule.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 02-24-2006 at 12:12 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  8. #7
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    A win there and UC is in the tournament. As it stands now, I think they're out.

    Tood bad, with a healthy Kirkland, I think they win 22-23 games this year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  9. #8
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    A win there and UC is in the tournament. As it stands now, I think they're out.

    Tood bad, with a healthy Kirkland, I think they win 22-23 games this year.
    They aren't out, if they win one game of the last 2 they are in. Even though tonight was a loss the fact we gave Nova everything they could handle could actually help our NCAA resume.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    End of the bench
    Posts
    751

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Welcome to th era of moral victories.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

  11. #10
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,000

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I didn't agree with Majerus on the charge. I didn't think it was an offensive foul. I thought it was questionable whether or not he was there first and the replay showed he turned leaning his left side forward.
    Watching the replay it absolutely was a charge IMO - if Downey had jumped straight up in the air versus going forward into the defender when shooting - it would've been different. But he was out of control and didn't pull up, instead just plowed right into the guy. I don't know why anyone would question that, even the fans didn't.

    Poor, bonheaded mistakes like that in the last seconds (Downey falling down, McGowan losing his man/assignment, and then Downey's charge and Hicks not dishing it off to Jihad on the final shot) doomed them.

    Great game otherwise, just hate to see it end as a result of boneheaded mistakes. AK's team is making a habit of blowing last second chances this year. Well, at least that's 2 of them I can recall off the top of my head.

  12. #11
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,507

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Heart. They have it. They define it.

    What a game, sooooo close!

    Beat Seton Hall or WV and they're in. They will get in.

    Oh yeah, Nancy..give Andy the contract he deserves.

  13. #12
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Heart. They have it. They define it.

    What a game, sooooo close!

    Beat Seton Hall or WV and they're in. They will get in.

    Oh yeah, Nancy..give Andy the contract he deserves.
    I think they beat both Seton Hall and WVU. WVU hasn't been looking too good as of late and if they aren't hitting 3's they are very beatable, they can't rebound either.

    As for Kennedy, I'm conflicted. This program needs a great recruiter over the next few years more than it needs a great game coach, and sadly that's a huge question mark with Andy. If it works out, great, but if it doesn't the program will be a Big East doormat and it's hard to recover from something like that. If we can get a big name coach to come in here I think we gotta let Kennedy go, but if they plan on going the mid-major route than just hire Kennedy instead.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  14. #13
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,507

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Wasn't Andy the guy who recruited most of these guys under Huggs?

  15. #14
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,345

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    As for Kennedy, I'm conflicted. This program needs a great recruiter over the next few years more than it needs a great game coach, and sadly that's a huge question mark with Andy. If it works out, great, but if it doesn't the program will be a Big East doormat and it's hard to recover from something like that. If we can get a big name coach to come in here I think we gotta let Kennedy go, but if they plan on going the mid-major route than just hire Kennedy instead.
    I don't know how much recruiting Kennedy has done since he's been at UC. I'm sure Huggins did a lot of it himself but a head coach can't do all the recruiting. Before all this stuff went down it looked like UC had a pretty good class coming in. How much of that was Kennedy's doing is anyone's guess. But UC has advantages that it didn't have during the Huggins era. They are in the Big East conference and they have a lot more games on national TV. Pretty much every year they are guaranteed to play at least a game in Madison Square Garden. While I haven't seen a lot of UC games this year I believe they run a bit more of an up-tempo style. That may bring in more kids who wouldn't have wanted to play under the style offense Huggins ran.

    They are going to have some problems that would have occured even if everything was status quo. This isn't Conference USA any more. Instead of playing Tulane and Houston they are playing Georgetown and Connecticut. They aren't going to dominate like they did. They will be recruiting against those schools as well. There may be some years they are in the upper rung of the Big East but it isn't likely it's going to happen every year like in Conference USA.

    Even getting a "big name" coach there may not be the solution. He may stay a few years and then go off to greener pastures like a bigger college gig or the NBA. Plus Zimpher may not want to hire a "big name" so he doesn't have that control over the program that Huggins did.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  16. #15
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I don't know how much recruiting Kennedy has done since he's been at UC. I'm sure Huggins did a lot of it himself but a head coach can't do all the recruiting. Before all this stuff went down it looked like UC had a pretty good class coming in. How much of that was Kennedy's doing is anyone's guess. But UC has advantages that it didn't have during the Huggins era. They are in the Big East conference and they have a lot more games on national TV. Pretty much every year they are guaranteed to play at least a game in Madison Square Garden. While I haven't seen a lot of UC games this year I believe they run a bit more of an up-tempo style. That may bring in more kids who wouldn't have wanted to play under the style offense Huggins ran.

    They are going to have some problems that would have occured even if everything was status quo. This isn't Conference USA any more. Instead of playing Tulane and Houston they are playing Georgetown and Connecticut. They aren't going to dominate like they did. They will be recruiting against those schools as well. There may be some years they are in the upper rung of the Big East but it isn't likely it's going to happen every year like in Conference USA.

    Even getting a "big name" coach there may not be the solution. He may stay a few years and then go off to greener pastures like a bigger college gig or the NBA. Plus Zimpher may not want to hire a "big name" so he doesn't have that control over the program that Huggins did.
    You are right the Big East does bring it's advantages, it also brings some disadvantages. Like a guy with 1 year under his belt recruiting against Pitino, Calhoun, etc with national championships and final fours within the last few years. There is no margin for error in this league, if UC doesn't establish itself the next few years they will be bottom feeders and that is nearly impossible to recover from when you have 16 teams competing against you.


    Matt,

    Kennedy helped recruit them, but it's a lot easier to convince someone when you can use the name of a future hall of fame coach instead of using your own.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25