Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: UC vs. Villinova update

  1. #16
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Kennedy helped recruit them, but it's a lot easier to convince someone when you can use the name of a future hall of fame coach instead of using your own.
    I was always under the impression that Bob Huggins recruited the majority of his players himself. He was gone on recruiting trips all the time during the offseason.

    That said, I'm sure Andy's gotten a lot of recruiting experience under his belt as I don't think Huggins did any of his recruiting in a vacuum.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 02-24-2006 at 06:55 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I was always under the impression that Bob Huggins recruited the majority of his players himself. He was gone on recruiting trips all the time during the offseason.

    I'm sure Andy's gotten a lot of recruiting experience under his belt as I don't think Huggins did any of his recruiting in a vacuum.
    Huggins scouted a lot of games, things like that. Andy knows what's involved in recruiting kids, he wasn't recruiting for himself, big difference. If Kennedy's hired keeping Corie Blount is going to be key IMO, it will really be a big help to have a 11 year NBA vet to go with you on the trail.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    End of the bench
    Posts
    751

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Even getting a "big name" coach there may not be the solution. He may stay a few years and then go off to greener pastures like a bigger college gig or the NBA. Plus Zimpher may not want to hire a "big name" so he doesn't have that control over the program that Huggins did.
    Conversely, a big name coach won't want to coach in a program under Zimpher's control. The only big name coach that would consider UC is one making his last curtain call.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

  5. #19
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    One thing to remember about getting a "big name" coach is that Bob Huggins came from Akron and built the UC program to an extremely high level. Akron is about as mid-major as you can get.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  6. #20
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    One thing to remember about getting a "big name" coach is that Bob Huggins came from Akron and built the UC program to an extremely high level. Akron is about as mid-major as you can get.
    Cincinnati wasn't a top 10 all time program when he came here either, and didn't play in the best basketball conference in the country.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  7. #21
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Cincinnati wasn't a top 10 all time program when he came here either, and didn't play in the best basketball conference in the country.
    So UC's success was because they didn't play in a strong conference rather than because of Huggins' coaching and recruiting skills?

    Anybody is going to have a tough time coaching UC primarily because they are in the Big East. Coach K would have difficulty. Look at Pitino. He's having problems this year. I'm not saying hiring a coach from a mid-major school should happen, all I'm saying is that coach could be the next Bob Huggins or Coach K - who came directly from Army which it would be charitable at best to call a mid major. Ohio St. seems rather happy with Thad Matta who came from Butler after a stopover at Xavier. Both universities are mid major programs and the Big 10 is one of the top 2-3 conferences in the country.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  8. #22
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    So UC's success was because they didn't play in a strong conference rather than because of Huggins' coaching and recruiting skills?

    Anybody is going to have a tough time coaching UC primarily because they are in the Big East. Coach K would have difficulty. Look at Pitino. He's having problems this year. I'm not saying hiring a coach from a mid-major school should happen, all I'm saying is that coach could be the next Bob Huggins or Coach K - who came directly from Army which it would be charitable at best to call a mid major. Ohio St. seems rather happy with Thad Matta who came from Butler after a stopover at Xavier. Both universities are mid major programs and the Big 10 is one of the top 2-3 conferences in the country.
    UC went mid-major then because they didn't have a choice, UC was not a national program and had just gone through the Yates years and had zero chance of landing a high profile coach. The current situation isn't even in the same ballpark. The biggest barrier to getting a high profile guy, with no question marks on recruiting, to take this job is going to be Nancy Zimpher. I don't think this program can afford to hire a "could be", we don't need to take that chance anymore, and honestly we don't have to. This program is now at the point where it can hire a sure thing, Bob Huggins did that for us.

    Bob Huggins is the reason we are in the Big East (the haters will love me saying that!), UC basketball was nothing when here came here. The fact there hasn't been a Huggins appreciation night this season, or something to honor all he did for this program, is disgusting to me.

    Coach K seems to do just fine at Duke, he'd do just fine in the Big East too. Having 14 final fours on your resume doesn't hurt.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  9. #23
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    I know UC is in a position where it could get a name coach. Just don't be terribly disappointed if they don't. A name coach could fail just as easy as an unknown coach could.

    I do agree that UC has not treated Bob Huggins well. The ascent of the basketball program under his tenure is the main reason they are in the Big East conference right now. Perhaps one of these days when there is a new administration, they can bring him back to receive the thanks he so richly deserves. You know what they say, time heals all wounds.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  10. #24
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I know UC is in a position where it could get a name coach. Just don't be terribly disappointed if they don't. A name coach could fail just as easy as an unknown coach could.

    I do agree that UC has not treated Bob Huggins well. The ascent of the basketball program under his tenure is the main reason they are in the Big East conference right now. Perhaps one of these days when there is a new administration, they can bring him back to receive the thanks he so richly deserves. You know what they say, time heals all wounds.
    Oh I won't be disappointed, I don't expect this administration to do anything that makes much sense. In fact I think they will use one of the Reds old tricks, throw out some big names and maybe even interview one (Prosser, Montgomery, Paul Hewitt has been mentioned) and then hire the cheapest guy available and claim you couldn't afford the others. The current situation has worked out perfectly for Nancy & Co, Kennedy is the fan favorite and he's also the cheapest.

    The question is will they put aside the Huggins connection for Kennedy? If they do they should allow Mick Cronin to interview as well, his resume as a UC assistant and recruiter is more impressive than Kennedy's, plus he's a UC grad. Line up all the options and I'm sure the worst one will happen, this program just can't seem to catch a break.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  11. #25
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    The fact there hasn't been a Huggins appreciation night this season, or something to honor all he did for this program, is disgusting to me.
    I'm sure that's not been allowed to happen.

    I'm wondering if he's even allowed on campus as the only game he's been seen at so far was downtown in the colliseum (or whatever it's called now).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  12. #26
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I'm sure that's not been allowed to happen.

    I'm wondering if he's even allowed on campus as the only game he's been seen at so far was downtown in the colliseum (or whatever it's called now).
    It will never happen as long as Nancy Zimpher is at UC, and that is very sad. It's part of the reason many UC fans are still bitter and angry, they haven't had the chance to say goodbye in an official way.

    I doubt Huggs has been back on campus, if he had that would have been all over TV. Bob did say in several interviews that he's seen every game this year though, he was at the crosstown shootout at the Cintas Center, was in Pittsburg a couple weeks ago for the game, etc. I think he's going to be at Madison Square Garden for the Big East tourney as well, if UC makes the NCAA's I'm sure he'll show up.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  13. #27
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,791

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    It will never happen as long as Nancy Zimpher is at UC,
    I've said this before, but I'll say it again.

    I heard from a reliable source that UC trustees UNANIMOUSLY supported Zimpher's call for Huggins' ouster.

    In other words... She's not alone in her opinion that Hugs had a net-negative effect on the UC brand. And more direct to your point, she's not the only one you'd have to convince in order to see UC do some sort of salute to Huggins.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

  14. #28
    Member Gainesville Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,163

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Little off subject, How has James White been? I haven't really kept up since he left Florida.

  15. #29
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: UC vs. Villinova update

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I've said this before, but I'll say it again.

    I heard from a reliable source that UC trustees UNANIMOUSLY supported Zimpher's call for Huggins' ouster.

    In other words... She's not alone in her opinion that Hugs had a net-negative effect on the UC brand. And more direct to your point, she's not the only one you'd have to convince in order to see UC do some sort of salute to Huggins.
    The BOT doesn't run the day to day operations of the University, Nancy does. If she says it's ok then it will happen, the BOT members are spineless (if they supported the move they've left Zimp twisting in the wind for it) and they wouldn't have a pair big enough to veto a Huggins appreciation night. If the public ever found out about it needless to say it wouldn't be pretty.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25