Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is everyone so ready to trade Kearns or Willy Mo?

Why is everyone so ready to trade Kearns or Willy Mo?

It would be ridiculous to trade either of them in spring training, when you're going to get nothing more than a minor league prospect(s) for them. You buy low and trade high. Neither of these players have proven that they will live up to their potential over a whole season. Why not give them the chance to play everyday prove their worth to your own team, and other teams as well. Yes, there is a chance that they could have horrible seasons, however I don't buy that their value will lower much from what it is now. They will only be one year older and still be viewed as players with potential that has been untapped. I think Kearns and Willy Mo will have solid years (if they are able to avoid injuries). I believe the risk/reward is greater giving them a season of starting for this team. The only way I do trade one of them is if they become malcontent, which shouldn't really be a problem if they are both getting consistent starts.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 02-24-2006 at 09:12 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why is everyone so ready to trade Kearns or Willy Mo?

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker
    It would be ridiculous to trade either of them in spring training, when you're going to get nothing more than a minor league prospect(s) for them. You buy low and trade high. Neither of these players have proven that they will live up to their potential over a whole season. Why not give them the chance to play everyday prove their worth to your own team, and other teams as well. Yes, there is a chance that they could have horrible seasons, however I don't buy that their value will lower much from what it is now. They will only be one year older and still be viewed as players with potential that has been untapped. I think Kearns and Willy Mo will have solid years (if they are able to avoid injuries). I believe the risk/reward is greater giving them a season of starting for this team. The only way I do trade one of them is if they become malcontent, which shouldn't really be a problem if they are both getting consistent starts.
    Have you seen the starting rotation the past couple of seasons? We could keep Kearns and Willy Mo and still finish under .500. The only way to fix it is deal an outfielder for a pitcher or pitchers that can upgrade the staff.

It is up to Krivsky to fix that problem. Until then keeping Kearns and Willy Mo isn't going to make this team a contender.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Are we one starter away from a decent season? With a fairly potent offense, could we be over .500 if we added on good starting pitcher. I look for improvement out of most of our guys.

thorn

Because Kearns has had the Potential tag for several years, when is he going to loose that tag and live up to some of it? This is his last chance, IMO to be something more than potential. Many people will be willing to trade a SP or SP ready "With Potential" right now. If Kearns flops again, we will be lucky to get a Casey type deal done. And if he does bust out, why would we want to trade him? And as far as Pena goes, he better learn to lay off breaking pitches and play some defense. He's been playing the OF for 7 years now, how long do you need to learn to play a position? He is a little younger, so I would give him one more year to see if he can adjust, otherwise he'll never be anything more than a fast ball hitting, horrible defense playing OF.

I'm pretty sure nobody wants to deal one of them just to deal them. However, we also realize that the staff needs an infusion of talent and we have OF depth. If somebody is willing to give us a pitcher with similar upside to one of those guys (ie. all-star potential), it would have to be strongly considered.

Let me ask you this then. What are the chances that we can get a #1 or 2 starter (with mlb experience) for Kearns or Willy Mo right now? I'd say none. What's the point in adding more 3 through 5's (with mlb experience) to this team, or one or two minor league prospect that may never see their potential or the big leagues. I don't think they can get a #1 or 2 for them right now. Now if one of them has a breakout season and bats .310 with 30hr's and 100rbi's, I think their trade value significantly increases. Like I said I think the risk reward right now is greater with Kearns and Willy Mo playing full seasons with the Reds.

At this point I would keep 'em and see how the season plays out. Not like trading either would make this team a pennant contender. They are far more likely to raise their trade value than lower it.

Can they pitch? That's not to say I'm particularly eager to trade them. At some point though the Reds will need to hold the opposition to fewer runs than the Reds score.

A 3 through 5 would be a whole lot better then what we have now. Wilson and Milton are like 8's or 10's. If Kearns could have had Clement a few weeks back then we should have pulled the trigger. If Pena/Kearns his 30 homers w/ 100 RBI people will scream if they get traded for anything less than Prior/Peavy. If you can still get Clement I still make the trade, if you can get anyone close to Clement caliber I make the trade.

It is good to see some new folks joining the board and posting in this thread. I think with the state of the pitching and the principle of trading from a strength to plug a weakness, if we could land a "3", or consistently average young starter for the price of Pena or Kearns, you have to do it in the name of "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." This all comes about because there is nothing in the system that allows us to hold onto the offense and wait for the young guy to develop to the point of helping the big league club.

I don't think anyone really wants to trade either of them because both have shown flashes of star potential, but I think its a matter of the Reds have to trade one of them eventually. Of course, I said that last year and they're both still here, so who knows.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker
    Let me ask you this then. What are the chances that we can get a #1 or 2 starter (with mlb experience) for Kearns or Willy Mo right now? I'd say none. What's the point in adding more 3 through 5's (with mlb experience) to this team, or one or two minor league prospect that may never see their potential or the big leagues. I don't think they can get a #1 or 2 for them right now. Now if one of them has a breakout season and bats .310 with 30hr's and 100rbi's, I think their trade value significantly increases. Like I said I think the risk reward right now is greater with Kearns and Willy Mo playing full seasons with the Reds.
    Well, the Reds could have had RHP Jake Westbrook from the Indians for Kearns and the Reds turned that down. IMO, I don't think Westbrook is that bad and he is a sinkerball pitcher which would be suited for the Reds. So, I would revisited Kearns trade talks with Cleveland but if I was Krivsky, I would shoot for Sabbathia, even if it means spicing up the deal.

You add Sabbathia to go with Harang and Claussen and you have a solid three. As for the fourth and fifth starters, if Wilson and Milton could rebound that would be great. But then you have several young arms you can look at.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Well, the Reds could have had RHP Jake Westbrook from the Indians for Kearns and the Reds turned that down. IMO, I don't think Westbrook is that bad and he is a sinkerball pitcher which would be suited for the Reds. So, I would revisited Kearns trade talks with Cleveland but if I was Krivsky, I would shoot for Sabbathia, even if it means spicing up the deal.

You add Sabbathia to go with Harang and Claussen and you have a solid three. As for the fourth and fifth starters, if Wilson and Milton could rebound that would be great. But then you have several young arms you can look at.
    That is who I see as the target arm if I'm trading with the Indians as well. Westbrook, blech, reminds me too much of Paul Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Well, the Reds could have had RHP Jake Westbrook from the Indians for Kearns and the Reds turned that down. IMO, I don't think Westbrook is that bad and he is a sinkerball pitcher which would be suited for the Reds.
    trading their OF surplus for expensive(Westbrook, Clements, etc) average or slightly above starters is no way to build a winner. They need to focus on young guys so the Reds can take advantage of their cheap years. A guy like Harang is going to get expensive next year and i Claussen develops is not far behind. They need to figure out how to get a Liriano type pitcher from somebody(like the Twins did from the Giants) instead of trading for a 30ish expensive average pitcher. I think a guy like Belisle(serious GB pitcher) is a better bet than trading for a Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    trading their OF surplus for expensive(Westbrook, Clements, etc) average or slightly above starters is no way to build a winner. They need to focus on young guys so the Reds can take advantage of their cheap years. A guy like Harang is going to get expensive next year and i Claussen develops is not far behind. They need to figure out how to get a Liriano type pitcher from somebody(like the Twins did from the Giants) instead of trading for a 30ish expensive average pitcher. I think a guy like Belisle(serious GB pitcher) is a better bet than trading for a Westbrook.
    But that strategy worked so well the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    But that strategy worked so well the last few years
    ... DanO just wasn't given enought time.

Turn Off Ads?