Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Draft thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Latest From Team One.....8:26am

Just talked with Jeff Spellman of TEAMONEBASEBALL.COM
    He tells me it appears the Padres have a deal done with SS Matt Bush.
    He now says he thinks the Reds will take SS Chris Nelson or RHP Homer Bailey.
    Lance McAlister
    1360 HOMER WCKY

Re: Latest From Team One.....8:26am

Quote Originally Posted by Lance McAlister
    Just talked with Jeff Spellman of TEAMONEBASEBALL.COM
    He tells me it appears the Padres have a deal done with SS Matt Bush.
    He now says he thinks the Reds will take SS Chris Nelson or RHP Homer Bailey.

If the Reds take Nelson M2 needs to be given a parade or something. He called that six months ago, at least.

I'd still take a college starter though.

Sounds like my idea of a good draft.

Baseball America said Bush signed for 3.1 million, a little bit less than league average.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Boy...I sure hope he's right. Nelson is special by all accounts.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

With our current prospects at SS (none) and the state of the position in ML baseball, in which Mark Belanger and Roger Metzger types are becoming standard fare again (Adam Everett and Rey Ordonez, just to name a few are employed, for example), if Nelson is all that and a bag of chips, sounds like a good grab.

Re: 2004 Draft thread

I don't want a Weaver - madness is hereditary, after all.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Weaver falling to 23 = amazing.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Draft starts at 1pm, correct? I'm hoping we get either Nelson or one of the college pitchers.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If Sowers somehow falls to us at #7, I can NOT imagine the Reds pass on him for just about anyone...agree?

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    If Sowers somehow falls to us at #7, I can NOT imagine the Reds pass on him for just about anyone...agree?
    I would hope the Reds would pass on him if Niemann was still there.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

With all of the great college pitching and all of the trouble we've had with HS arms, I just do not understand why the Reds would pass on a college pitcher like Townsend or Sowers for Bailey or even Nelson if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    With all of the great college pitching and all of the trouble we've had with HS arms, I just do not understand why the Reds would pass on a college pitcher like Townsend or Sowers for Bailey or even Nelson if it comes to that.
    I agree, however, I don't like hearing in write ups that Townsend and Diamond project as closers. If that's the case, don't draft either of the two. We need a legit "STUD" starting pitcher, and not a reliever that can get to the majors quickly like Wagner last year.

If no STUD starting pitching options are there, take Nelson.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I agree, however, I don't like hearing in write ups that Townsend and Diamond project as closers. If that's the case, don't draft either of the two. We need a legit "STUD" starting pitcher, and not a reliever that can get to the majors quickly like Wagner last year.

If no STUD starting pitching options are there, take Nelson.
    I agree about staying away from relievers. OTOH, if the Reds think Townshend and Diamond can cut it as starters, then I'd be highly interested.

As for the pecking order, while I understand the organization needs all the pitching it can get, there's 0% doubt in my mind that Nelson is the signature player in this draft, a major league All-Star level SS in the making. To put this in terms Cincinnatians can easily identify with -- Matt Bush will be playing Akili Smith to Chris Nelson's Donovan McNabb in the future.

Nelson's the guy with star written all over him. In this case, I'd be label shopping.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

M2,

Here's why I'd still go college pitching, even if Nelson is still around. If you stockpile arms, you can always trade some to fill needs.

Much easier to move pitching for offense then offense for pitching.

Baseball America also lists draft-and-follows and 5th-year college players recently signed. It's not as glamorous as the draft, but guys like Calvin Medlock, David Shafer and Derek Hawk (all on the Dragons now) were draft-and-follow signees. The Reds didn't get anybody via draft-and-follow this year, but they did sign three 5th-year college guys:

OF Jeremiah Piepkorn recently started with the Dayton Dragons
    OF Ashley Farr
    LHP Adam Lingenfelter

I don't know anything more about these guys, although there is a thread about Mr. Piepkorn for the interested.

Turn Off Ads?