Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Draft thread

Re: 2004 Draft thread

I know catcher is a weak position in the organization, but I'm not sure I follow using two picks in the first six rounds on that position.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The way I see it, this is a marathon, not a sprint. We won't know the success of this draft for 3-5 years at a minimum. I'm willing to give Dan O a chance. This isn't completely the same group that has drafted the busts of the past. I'm willing to wait and see, and take a risk on a potential Ace with a lot of upside high schooler in the first. Time will tell.

Grand Master means you are at the top of your chosen endeavor. It's used for many different things.
    You can be a grand master Mason, chess player, rapper (flash), about anything.

I wish him nothing but the best but these are the exact same things I heard about Ty Howington at age 20 (and still do now by a few people)...

[QUOTE=Clemson]
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaholic
    Homer Bailey is not Josh Beckett or Kerry Wood, but he's not Chris Gruler either. For goodness sakes people, he's one of the most talented pitchers in this year's draft. QUOTE]

By the way, lets not exactly right off Chris yet. This was a kid who was taken 3rd overall and was showing some serious potential when he had his surgery. Yes the injury is a setback, but Chris is still no more than 20 years old and rehabbing and progressing nicely I am told

Im guessing the C was Lonny Roa from PR.
    COMMENT: LARGE FRAME. SOLID, DURABLE BUILD. STRONG FROM TOP DOWN. MUSCULAR CHEST. STRENGTH IN LEGS. HIGH REAR. BIG, STRONG HANDS. WIDE, CLOSED STANCE. SETS UP DEEP TO HIT. SHORT STRIDE. SLIGHT UPPERCUT SWING W/PWR TO HIT BALL OVER THE FENCE. AGGRESSIVE BAT, WANTS TO HIT. BALL JUMPS OFF BAT. ADEQUATE RECEIVER. BLOCKS BALL IN DIRT. COURAGE ON PLAYS AT PLATE. LEADERSHIP QUALITIES. EXPERIENCE AT 1B & OF. from mlb.com

Man, I love the baseball draft. It's at the end of the 6th round in under 3 hours. WE'd be on pick 15 of the first round of the NFL draft in that time fram :MandJ:

Knock off the insults - I see plenty of people debating with you, but no one insulting you as you just did.

Quote Originally Posted by SYCMiniBus
    So future baseball GM what is the correct philopshy? Since obviously taking the best player available is not the way to go what do you say is the way?? Please grand master show me the light!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    and the A's lost to the Twins in the playoffs, that is all that matters.
    Just so I have this correct, you're making the argument that the Twins have been more successful thatn the A's based on their single playoff series win, which was decided in the 5th game. Is that right? So you would rather Terry Ryan as GM than Billy beane based on htat one game? Am I reading you correctly. This is what you believe?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Honestly you can't say the A's are that much better a franchise than the Twins right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter
    Having a knuckle curve, and his velocity as a pitcher could make Gonzalez a very interesting pitcher to watch these next few seasons.
    I like the Gonzalez pick too. Good talent, reasonable price. High ceiling.

BTW, I forget who asked, but it does indeed look like Dester Fowler is still on the board. If it's signability that's making him drop, I'd snag him soon and try to sell him on second round money. The Reds have what should be a bargain draft at the moment.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Felipe Valesquez(spelling?) from Montreal

Thanks M2, I was the one wondering about Fowler.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Just so I have this correct, you're making the argument that the Twins have been more successful thatn the A's based on their single playoff series win, which was decided in the 5th game. Is that right? So you would rather Terry Ryan as GM than Billy beane based on htat one game? Am I reading you correctly. This is what you believe?
    Both are terrific, and Ryan's up on Beane right now partly due to his series win and partly because he saved an entire franchise that was destined to be flushed. Yes, that's what I believe

Phillippe Valiquette -LHP Canada with the 7th rounder
    COMMENT: MEDIUM-LARGE FRAME. SLENDER, ATHLETIC BUILD. SLOPED SHOULDERS. HIGH WAIST. FLAT CHEST. LONG ARMS, LEGS. DEFINED THIGHS. ROOM FOR ADDED DEVELOPMENT. SIMILAR TO JARROD WASHBURN. NO WINDUP DELIVERY, 3/4 RELEASE. LOOSE, FLUID ARM. EXCELLENT ACTION. BALL JUMPS FROM HAND. FB LATE TAIL & SINK, MOST 91 EARLY. 3/4 ROTATION CB, OCCAISIONAL LATE BITE. STRAIGHT CHANGEUP TAILS, KEEPS ARM SPEED. GOOD EXTENTION OVER FRONT SIDE. PROJECTABLE BODY. LHP W/ QUICK, LIVE ARM. GOOD DELIVERY. WILL HAVE 3 QUALITY PITCHES. MATURITY & EXPERIENCE WILL HELP PITCHABILITY. FUTURE LHS AT MAJOR LEAGUE LEVEL.

The Cards took a guy in the 5th round that has a great baseball name:

Wes Swackhammer, an OF from Tulane.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?