Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Your "I just don't get it" list

Your "I just don't get it" list

Aren't there just some things in life that you just "don't get"? Aren't there those things that large numbers of people are fanatical about, and you just don't understand what the big deal is all about? It may be a movie, a food or drink, a sport, a celebrity, or whatever.

Here's my list, off the top of my head. I'll add more later if I think of them. Oh, and this is all in fun, so don't take it too seriously.

Prime Rib: It costs more than other steaks, and some people get all watery-mouthed just thinking about it. I think it's ugly, and prefer not to eat it. I guess I just don't get it.

Dave Matthews Band: I've never understood why people like this band so much. I'll stop with my comments right there to avoid offending fans of DMB, but suffice to say that I just don't get it.

Hockey/Soccer: I've tried more than once to develop an appreciation for these sports, and I just can't do it. Millions go crazy for a hockey game, and the entire planet is fanatical about soccer, it seems. I don't get it.

Jessica Simpson: I don't think she's really that pretty, she certainly isn't intelligent, and watching her pained expressions and jerky movements when she sings is more annoying than long fingernails on a chalkboard. Yet many males I know don't hesitate to list her among today's top hotties. Needless to say, I just don't get it.

Outfield seats: I just don't like the view of the game from behind the outfield wall. I feel disoriented. As long as I'm between the bases, I'd rather be up high than be behind the wall. What am I missing here?

Reality television: When will this ever run its course? As soon as I found out that shows like The Bachelor and Survivor were scripted, I lost what little interest I had. Yet I know people who live and die with such shows (especially Survivor). Give me a good documentary on TLC or The History Channel, or a good ballgame of course. No fake reality television for me. I just don't get it.

Bowl Games: I have friends that get fired up looking forward to camping out in front of the set for bowl games all day January 1. Why? Why waste your day watching meaningless exhibition football games that no one will remember two months from now? I don't get it.

Bath and Body Works: Okay, some of that hand soap and body lotion smells really good, but at the prices they charge, it should. $4.00 for a little bottle of hand soap because it has little bead thingies in it? And what's the appeal of smelling like a cucumber? My wife has tried to explain, but I don't get it.

Hunting and fishing: Yes, growing up as a country boy, I tried both. I got into the fishing thing for a time, but never became addicted as some of my friends did. I always thought there was too thin a line between fishing and just sitting in a boat looking stupid. As for hunting, I had that experience forced on me as a kid, and hated every minute of it! What's so exciting about getting up at 3:00 or 4:00am and going out into the cold, just for the chance to kill something? I know hunting is needed to control the herds, and I'm all for the ones who want to do it, but I don't get the appeal.

What is it that you don't get?
    Last edited by macro; 02-11-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Queen Christine

Re: Your "I just don't get it" list

I agree with you on everything on your list. Especially Dave Matthews band. But I am gonna have to somewhat disagree with the Outfield Seats, As a female, I enjoy the seating simply because they are close to the relief pitchers and some of them are nice to look at.

I just don't get Linda Cropp's intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Aren't there just some things in life that you just "don't get"? Aren't there those things that large numbers of people are fanatical about, and you just don't understand what the big deal is all about? It may be a movie, a food or drink, a sport, a celebrity, or whatever.

Here's my list, off the top of my head. I'll add more later if I think of them. Oh, and this is all in fun, so don't take it too seriously.

Prime Rib: It costs more than other steaks, and some people get all watery-mouthed just thinking about it. I think it's ugly, and prefer not to eat it. I guess I just don't get it.

Dave Matthews Band: I've never understood why people like this band so much. I'll stop with my comments right there to avoid offending fans of DMB, but suffice to say that I just don't get it.

Hockey/Soccer: I've tried more than once to develop an appreciation for these sports, and I just can't do it. Millions go crazy for a hockey game, and the entire planet is fanatical about soccer, it seems. I don't get it.

Jessica Simpson: I don't think she's really that pretty, she certainly isn't intelligent, and watching her pained expressions and jerky movements when she sings is more annoying than long fingernails on a chalkboard. Yet many males I know don't hesitate to list her among today's top hotties. Needless to say, I just don't get it.

Bud Light: I'm assuming this must be the top-selling brew in the U.S.? Why? It sure tastes like sugar water to me. Why do so many make it their drink of choice? I don't get it.

Outfield seats: I just don't like the view of the game from behind the outfield wall. I feel disoriented. As long as I'm between the bases, I'd rather be up high than be behind the wall. What am I missing here?

Reality television: When will this ever run its course? As soon as I found out that shows like The Bachelor and Survivor were scripted, I lost what little interest I had. Yet I know people who live and die with such shows (especially Survivor). Give me a good documentary on TLC or The History Channel, or a good ballgame of course. No fake reality television for me. I just don't get it.

Bowl Games: I have friends that get fired up looking forward to camping out in front of the set for bowl games all day January 1. Why? Why waste your day watching meaningless exhibition football games that no one will remember two months from now? I don't get it.

Bath and Body Works: Okay, some of that hand soap and body lotion smells really good, but at the prices they charge, it should. $4.00 for a little bottle of hand soap because it has little bead thingies in it? And what's the appeal of smelling like a cucumber? My wife has tried to explain, but I don't get it.

Hunting and fishing: Yes, growing up as a country boy, I tried both. I got into the fishing thing for a time, but never became addicted as some of my friends did. I always thought there was too thin a line between fishing and just sitting in a boat looking stupid. As for hunting, I had that experience forced on me as a kid, and hated every minute of it! What's so exciting about getting up at 3:00 or 4:00am and going out into the cold, just for the chance to kill something? I know hunting is needed to control the herds, and I'm all for the ones who want to do it, but I don't get the appeal.

What is it that you don't get?
    good list macro.

i'd like to add that I don't "get" Olives.
    School's out. What did you expect?

There are many of life's mysteries that have perplexed me from time to time but only one confuses me like no other:

The Reds Front Office and Ownership. :mhcky21:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

EMO, rap, nu-metal. Basically all that new crap on the radio. Don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    fishing:
    It's all about spending the day floating in a boat or sitting on shore, good book in hand, cold beverage between feet - a quiet day away from life.

This is pretty good. I'll have to come up with a list when I'm thinking clearly.

Good Stuff, Macro.

I don't get aggressive driving and speeding. Surely these people realize that their weaving in and out at high rates of speed is not likely to get them to their destination any quicker than me, especially after they take their trip to the hospital or the funeral home.

I also don't get those who develop and send computer viruses. Wouldn't it be more fun to go down to the school and throw rocks through the windows, or tp someone's house?

I don't get the liberal mind. Oy, better not go any further there .

I don't get parades. Let's take some time out of our day, maybe even sit in the rain and/or snow and cold to watch a bunch of people throw candy, march, ride real slow in a car or on a decorated trailer, and have our brains blasted by a fire engine horn.

I don't get low rider jeans. So many of these girls should be trying to do everything they can to hide those bellies, not bare them for all the world to see them jiggle. And there's nothing attractive about someone's butt crack showing.

I don't get tatoos. Permanent reminders of a drunken stupor or the name of some chick that dumped me are not what I'm looking for.

I don't get nail polish and those tip thingies. It smells up my house both at painting and removing time. And five year old girls like to experiment with their younger brothers using the stuff.

Ouzo. Yuk.

Hollywood action movies. Same old formula.

Paris Hilton. I feel the same about Jessica Simpson.

RealityTV. Never "got it" enough to give it a try. I want escape in my TV.

Light beer. A few less calories and a lot less taste.

The need to spend the exact same $ on everyone of the same status on your Xmas buying list.

The fear some liberals have of letting Christmas be a religious holiday. My faith is very weak, if it even exists, but it is a religious holiday, you know!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

The miracle of life

Abortion

Music blaring from car speakers

rap music

Why my golf scores don't keep going down

Homosexuality

The Opera

Drinking so much that you get sick, then bragging about it.

Men's sandles

Lawn statues

Liberals

Taking drugs

Sunday drives (spent many a Sunday afternoon on these, and disliked every minute)

Parents who let their children run wild

Cats

People who think they are superior to, better, or smarter than others

Bad manners

not taking care of possesions (house, car, lawn, pets, toys.......)

Child and spouse abuse

Self absorbed people

atheists

People who litter

Neck ties ( I wear 'em but I sure as heck don't understand 'em)

Why things cost so much (Why does a gallon of milk cost $4.00?)

Evangelical Christians (get off my lawn, stay away from my doorbell)

America's Middle East policy under Bush

Henry Kissinger

Pinochet

taking bubble baths

Milton

Rilke

Tennyson

Nascar

Hockey

Hippies

Wal Mart--sure it's cheap, but it's also crap.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Glenn Braggs

Very good list macro.

I especially share your sentiments about hunting & fishing. My list of things that I don't get would also include:

Drivers who are not signalizing when they change lanes
    Yeah, must be real hard to either find and/or then even use that lamp-signaller.

Golf
    The most boring sport in the world, and there are actually people making millions of $$$ playing it? I don't get it.

Buying an animal without having a clue about its needs
    I have two dsungarian hamsters (the ones which are smaller than the common Goldhamsters) and I'm really amazed, what crappy cages along with much too small wheels are available in pet shops. Sometimes it's so obvious that this crap absolutely doesn't fit the needs, that it makes me mad. Why don't have manufactureres and people who even buy this stuff any sense of responsibility?

P.S.: If you are looking for an animal I'd recommend to check the local animal rescue first. I got one of my hamsters there, too.

Thought of another one:

I don't get why wanted unborn human beings are commonly referred to as "babies" and "him/her" while unwanted unborn human beings that become abortion victims are commonly referred to as "fetuses" and "it"????????????

Off the top of my sleepy head:

High Heels - they're torture devices probably invented by men.

Facial piercing - "Good luck with that job interview, cool dude."

Intolerant people

Wine coolers - decide between soda, kool-aid or wine, you noncommittal person.

Golf - needs a defensive person to try to catch the ball and throw it back.

Bear hunting - you don't eat the meat. It isn't sporting to make a big pile of donuts and junk food then wait for the bear. Not much of an excuse for it.

People that duck hunt without retrieving the ducks.

Companies that build lakes and greenery around their buildings then discourage the geese from the property.

People who don't use their turn signal. I'll let you in if I know you're coming.

Ignore lists.

Those annoying postcards found in magazines.

Cell phones - I don't want to be that accessible.

Glenn Braggs

Facial piercing - "Good luck with that job interview, cool dude."

Intolerant people
    Hmmmm, I think somehow both points don't fit very well together .

Turn Off Ads?