Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Draft thread

Re: 2004 Draft thread

You know the Expos are moving when they allow a Quebec guy to slip through seven rounds.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All dyslexics must untie!

Re: Draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    As you wish. If he takes Homer Bailey, he will NOT be Terry Reynolds. He ran a lot of drafts but never took a HS pitcher with the first pick
    What's gotten into Terry this year? So far, he's scooping up HS pitchers (and position players) and leaving the college arms on the board.
    Never overlook the obvious

either he was due, gm or he's trying out a reverse Costanza. I'm hoping for the latter

Quote Originally Posted by Clemson
    The pessimism right now is downright absurd. I hope you all have a great day, I am done posting in this thread as every other post is a doomsday one. You can't judge a draft during that day, it takes years. Hopefully this one works out. Thats all you can ever hope for.
    I'm sorry for the pessimism. I don't believe that being a fan requires liking every move they make. If being pessimistic means that I question a drafting philosophy that hasn't worked for just about anyone over the past several decades, then I'm sorry I'm a pessimist. If being a pessimist means I want the team to change the way they do things that has resulted in not developing a single starting pitcher in 15 years, then I'm guilt on all counts. I plan on being around RedsZone for a long time.

Believe me, I don't WANT to be pessimistic. I would love nothing more than to be optimistic (like I was after last year's draft) about the draft. But I don't think it's fair to call people *absurd* because they don't agree with the drafting philosophy of current management. It's a reasonable opinion and one shared by many people who have spent a lot of time over the years studying this stuff.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Maybe the Dodgers success with high school talent recently has turned minds

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    and the A's lost to the Twins in the playoffs, that is all that matters.
    I think both organizations are well-run (and I was one who wanted the Reds to hire Wayne Krivsky this offseason). That said, the main difference is the A's turned their ship around in the course of three years while it took the Twins seven to eight seasons to do it. As a fan, I much prefer the quicker turnaround.

BTW, going back to something that was discussed at the start of this thread, if the Reds had a deeper farm system, I'd be much more inclined to speculate with the #1 pick. Problem is the team specualted in 1999, 2001 and 2002.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    either he was due, gm or he's trying out a reverse Costanza. I'm hoping for the latter
    (A couple of other possibilities)

O'Brien and Bennett locked Reynolds in the closet

Aliens have taken over TR's body

He has more years remaining on his contract than O'Binder

Clemson

MWM, I didn't mean to call you personally absurd, just as you weren't juding individual players talent as opposed to the philosophy of drafting them. I was juyst frustated by the fact that we cant judge a draft before we ever see the guys on a field. whether we get everyone we think we want or not, we won't know how we did untila few years down the road, when hopefully we'll all be here to celebrate on redsZone.

pessimism is totally fine, but on a thing such as the draft we can't judge until its well over a few years down the road

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds
    You know the Expos are moving when they allow a Quebec guy to slip through seven rounds.
    Excellent point.

Another HS arm (again, one I like). IMO they ought to gobble up some college pitchers in the coming rounds just so they can field a team in Billings this season.

BTW, here's a guy I'm hoping the Reds draft - "3B Beau Mills, Fresno State's top recruit, is the son of former big leaguer Brad Mills, now a coach with the Red Sox. Mills has the requisite baseball savvy and a solid lefthanded bat, generating good bat speed. He showed off his raw power potential in 2003 by hitting three balls into McCovey Cove at then-Pac Bell Park in San Francisco, when his father's Expos came through on a road trip "
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Honestly you can't say the A's are that much better a franchise than the Twins right now.
    That's a different argument altogether that I don't want to get into on this thread, but I disagree strongly with that. The A's have lost a lot more than the Twins over the years, yet they've continued to win their division. And they have more in htepipeline than do the Twins.

The Twins have been to the playoffs twice, both times benefitting from playing in a very poor division. In 2002, they were the only team over .500 in their division. In 2003, there were 3 teams over .500, but they were the only team more than 10 games over .500.

The Twins would not have made the playoffs either year playing the AL West. In both years, they would have been in third place (and only one game out of 4th in 2002).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

My question is are you guys all actually A's fans? Do you root for them? Just wondering.

Here are some more HS vs college pitcher facts:

David Schoenfield reported, among other things, the following:

From 1985 through 1997, 93 pitchers from four-year colleges were drafted in the first round, and 72 of them (77.4 percent) have reached the majors.

From 1985 through 1997, 61 pitchers from high schools were drafted in the first round, and 35 of them (57.3 percent) have reached the majors.

The college pitchers who have reached the majors have thrown more innings with a lower ERA than the high-school pitchers who have reached the majors.

Over that same 13-year span, only one high-school first-rounder (Kerry Wood) has a career ERA under 4.00; 16 college first-rounders do.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    BTW, here's a guy I'm hoping the Reds draft - "3B Beau Mills, Fresno State's top recruit, is the son of former big leaguer Brad Mills, now a coach with the Red Sox. Mills has the requisite baseball savvy and a solid lefthanded bat, generating good bat speed. He showed off his raw power potential in 2003 by hitting three balls into McCovey Cove at then-Pac Bell Park in San Francisco, when his father's Expos came through on a road trip "
    LHH 3rd baseman? Nice. With the Red's IF luck, he'd probably project as a 1bman. Got any info on his defensive abilities? Hopefully he'd become "Willie Green with a clue"

Nope. I don't root for the A's at all. I tend to be anti-West Coast (except for the Padres). I'll admit, I somewhat wanted to see the A's win at least a post-season series over the last couple of years, so ridiculous comments about how his approach doesn't work would stop. But I have no love for the A's, other than that.

weasel

Is Andrew Brackman still on the board?

Turn Off Ads?