Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Draft thread

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: 2004 Draft thread

The White Sox picked themselves a stud. Fields is an incredible athlete, wait until he plays baseball full time.

The anti-Drew Henson

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Time is the Revelator.

MLB.com on Bailey: MEDIUM-LONG FRAME. GOOD BODY. LONG, SLENDER, BUILD. HIGH WAISTED. LONG ARMS. LARGE HANDS. LOOSE, EFFORTLESS ARM. COMFORT ZONE 93-95 W/ LATE SINK. BALL EXPLODES OUT OF HAND. 11/5 CB W/ TIGHT ROTATION, SHARP K ZONE BITE WHEN OUT FRONT. EXCELLENT MOUND PRESENCE. YOUNG RHP W/ EXTREMELY HIGH CEILING. EFFORTLESS POWER ARM W/ PLUS PITCHABILITY.

23. Yankees
    Philip Hughes - RHP (HS)

Quote Originally Posted by SYCMiniBus
    We get one of the best arms in the draft, a guy who could be Wood, Beckett, Penny, or any other HS arm and people immediatly say he will blow out his arm. Amazing lets give the guy a chance.
    We have no choice but to give him a chance. Doesn't change it from being a pick with an exceptionally low chance of working out.

On a separate note, you'd think the league would give the Expos a draft budget since they're about to be sold. Bill Bray? Nice little pitcher, but no way he's going at #13 for any other reason than signability.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

They need both pitching and position talent. Position talent is thin this year, college pitching is abundant. That should have pushed them toward Nelson and college pitchers in later rounds. Just hope they did not pass on another Jeter.

Wonder if they have a deal already worked out with Homer? Could have been the deciding factor.

24. A's
    Landon Powell - South Carolina

And the A's slew of picks begin...

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Oakland takes Landon Powell, C, U. of South Carolina.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I'd say for all of us who do and don't agree with the pick, what's done is done.

I hope, and I hope everyone else feels the same way, that Homer proves our pessism unfounded and goes lights out for Billings this summer.

25. Twins
    Stephen Waldrup (sp?)

Landon Powell is a player, that's one guy I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by SYCMiniBus
    Please tell me u are joking because if you arent this makes NO sense at all. He is the top HS arm means a few things: 1). NOT CHEAP, 2). At 7 not an overdraft, 3). He might have been the best guy available depending on who you talk to.
    well, I was partially joking, but signablity was going to play a huge part in whoever
    the Reds sign, and the ordering of their depth chart. It always has. No reason to think
    that has changed, since Allen is still in charge.

I was hoping for the SS that M2 liked, mainly because we have no position player talent in
    the minors other than Edwin Encarcion.. and we seem to have a very poor record at
    developing any pitching (HS Or college).

It doesn't bother me though that he's a high school pitcher instead of a college pitcher,
    like it does some posters.

So, in summary, I'd rather they grabbed Nelson (SS, is that his name)? And then grabbed
    a bunch of arms later.

But hopefully Homer becomes the ace we are looking for. I'm pulling for him to get signed
    and wish him the best.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

26. A's
    Richard Robnet (sp?) - Fresno State

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

The the A's take a college OF out of Fresno State two picks later.

Damn, I was hoping Powell would slip to us in the 2nd round.

Question, If Drew is sitting there in the 2nd round (not likely) do you take the chance of taking him?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    A couple of things to consider:
    2. Alot of posters have not extensively scouted these players, yet are ready to jump off the bridge because their "guy' wasn't picked. I'm assuming that our scouts know more than alot of us. Homer was highly rated, and it's not a reach. He's a power arm.I'd rather go with him, than draft a college pitcher who's projected to be a reliever and has probably already maxed out his potential.
    Heck, using that philosophy we can't have an opinion at all unless we've scouted these players.

Are these the same scouts who scouted Chris Gruler and Ty Howington? The same scouts who wanted Brandon Larson over Lance Berkman?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?