Thread: 2004 Draft thread

Re: 2004 Draft thread

18th Round
    Charles O'Neil LHP CHIPOLA JC in Georgia
    and that pick ends the Reds first day of the draft

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds
    That HS shortstop was Milton Loo from Molokai.
    Gotta wonder about the level of play on an island known more for Father Damian than sports.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Why is picking a college guy (with presumably less upside) in the long run less risky than a higher ceiling HS pitcher? And why does the "sorry state" of our farm system factor into that descision?

regardless of the state of the farm system, you want to draft the guy who's got a high upside with less risk. If the experts think that's a HS guy, I'm fine with that.

A number #7 pick must be utilized on a very high ceiling guy, and if the Reds scouts felt that none of the college pitchers projected to #1 pitchers, I'd say that Homer was a decent descision.

Who said Bailey had a significantly higher ceiling than other options available?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Well it's pretty obvious the Reds think that.

http://www.chipola.edu/extrac/athl/b...harles2003.htm

I doubt the listed weight is correct for O'Neal.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Not that I'm a HS pitching advocate in anyway - but for example - Humber threw 12 innings this weekend.

Niemann was in for 2IP in relief before starting on Sunday.

I saw a feature this weekend on the Florida St where he said essentially that the kids would have to 'tough it out' about pitching a lot of innings during the CWS because the team was not deep in the bullpen.

That's not representative in anyway of College baseball as a whole, just an interesting side note.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds
    http://www.chipola.edu/extrac/athl/b...harles2003.htm

I doubt the listed weight is correct for O'Neal.
    mlb.com only has him at 165

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Over 6 ft and 165lb?

Get that kid a steak

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Who said Bailey had a significantly higher ceiling than other options available?
    Some of the college starters (Townsend in particular) were projected as relief pitchers in the majors.

A reliever can never project as high as a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Why is picking a college guy (with presumably less upside) in the long run less risky than a higher ceiling HS pitcher? And why does the "sorry state" of our farm system factor into that descision?

regardless of the state of the farm system, you want to draft the guy who's got a high upside with less risk. If the experts think that's a HS guy, I'm fine with that.

A number #7 pick must be utilized on a very high ceiling guy, and if the Reds scouts felt that none of the college pitchers projected to #1 pitchers, I'd say that Homer was a decent descision.
    First off I categorically reject the notion that Townshend or Diamond have less upside. Try equivalent upside. For instance BA also noted that Townshend "has the stuff to pitch in the front of a big league rotation."

Second, obviously that's the way the Reds' scouting folks felt about this pick, much the same way they felt about Ty Howington and Chris Gruler. What's the track record here? Know it. Learn from it. Or repeat it endlessly expecting different results.

Rocky - But that trick never works.
    Bullwinkle - This time for sure.
    (Lion's head pops out of hat)
    Bullwinkle - Must've grabbed the wrong hat.

Third, the sorry state of the farm system means the organization could stand a little self-awareness. When you can't throw money at problems it helps to have a lot of talent in the high minors to replenish your team and to trade in contention years. The Reds picked a guy who may not provide them with either option for years to come. That's not Bailey's fault, it's just that he's an 18-year-old pitcher and they really ought to come with buyer beware tags.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

The high school pitching selections don't surprise me. In many ways, they were predicted on the Danogram, er planogram which the regime was hinting at. But the amount of college bats were surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    I've got to wonder, with the new Reds pitching philosophy in the lower minor levels, if they actually WANT high school pitchers instead of college pitchers.

Personally, I've always been a fan of drafting college pitchers (there's really no reason to add why, since all the reasons have been stated in here). But I can see why the Reds may not want to follow that philosphy currently.

The Reds philosophy now is to only allow their pitchers to pitch a set number of pitches, regardless of how well the game is going for them. The reason: to protect the pitchers health.

Now, if they draft a college player, they would want to make sure that the college coaches haven't pitched them over the Reds current limits. Which is probably unlikely.

It may not be the course that I currently like, but if that is their reasoning, and they are so 'sold' on this new philosophy, then I like the thinking outside of the box.
    Sure, we have no idea if they did anything like this, but the key is that we don't know. Who's to say they don't know more about this than we think? Great way of looking at it, CQ.

And, FWIW, I think it's been a solid draft thus far. We'll see in 2007 :GAC:

I'd be surprised if three years from now, people here on RedsZone who weren't around for this draft or who didn't pay much attention will be shaking their heads asking this question, "You mean we could have had Chris Nelson and we ended up taking homer Bailey?" Wow!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    woy posted this on another thread, but I thought it was pertinent to this question.

""When we took over, we needed to restock the organization quickly and do it with college players...People forget I am a scout, first and foremost. I look forward to the day when we've come far enough as an organization that we draft a high school player in the first round."
    --J.P. Ricciardi, Blue Jays general manager (ESPN.com)

Turn Off Ads?