Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Draft thread

Re: 2004 Draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Forget about the HS vs. college arm debate if a guy like B.J. Upton's on the board. One might be for the Reds. His name is Chris Nelson. That's the pick you make if you want to banish risk from the equation.
    Agreed, but my point is that the top prospects in baseball are pretty much all high schoolers-

BBA Top 25-
    4.Edwin Jackson
    8.Greg Miller(blew his arm out though I think)
    12.Scott Kazmir
    13.Adam Loewen
    14.Zack Grienke
    17.Cole Hammels
    18.Dustin McGowan(blew his arm out)
    23.Gavin Floyd

Tsao is ranked 24th. After that, its mostly foreign developed players or college pitchers(Kyle Sleeth at 36).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    M2 i've never heard that Nelson is even close to Upton. I'm not discounting you at all, just wondering why you feel that way? Thanks.
    Like Upton, he does everything - speed, quick bat, short stroke, great arm, big range, great hands, great eye at the plate. When he plays in an All-Star tournament, he hits cleanup, plays SS and walks away with the tournament MVP trophy. Had he not had TJ surgery, he'd be at the top of everyone's boards. Someone's going to get a steal in the late single-digit picks this season.

BTW, per BA - "Nelson is more frequently compared with such shortstops as Derek Jeter and B.J. Upton." That's the class he's in.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Hopefully the Reds are just playing it close to the vest and just putting out rumors they're interested in a HS arm like Bailey or Rogers when they really want Nelson.

What if both Nelson and Sowers are available? Who would you want then?

Nelson.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I think the Reds should take Nelson, but they probably will take Sowers or (grits teeth) Bailey. I'm okay with Sowers, but I'm not as intrigued.

How's this for a view. I don't care who the Reds take with the first pick. Nelson, Bailey, Drew, Sowers, high school, college, pitcher, whatever.

But: please no reaches (Gruler at 3) or unsignables (Sowers three years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    That year, you had some great HS arms. It's possible to argue that the choice of Gruler wasn't necessarily a bad choice, but that the Reds worked him too hard, leading to surgery. It's plausible that the new 75-pitch limit (and perhaps other allowances made for newly drafted HS arms???) will curtail the risk of injury to young arms, making Bailey or Rogers safer choices now than Gruler was under a previous regime.
    I don't think it's fair to blame the Reds for Gruler's injury, given how long they had him before he went down. More likely, it happened during his youth baseball career, and the rigors of pitching more frequently as a pro simply finished him off. That's the risk with high school pitchers.

The reward, though is high. Kerry Wood, Roy Oswalt... And you have development time for young athletes to grow physically and in maturity, whereas college pitchers in general have less ceiling. Trust thy scouts, I guess.

I want Sowers, then Neimann, and then, maybe Nelson.

I'd rather draft Weaver and lose him than take Bailey.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I want Niemann (who I think will be special as a SP), then Nelson, then Sowers.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Why Zombie? Have you ever seen Bailey pitch?

You are really painting yourself in a corner as a team if you will NEVER draft a high school pitcher. I'm amazed that people here are so sure that Bailey will faulter without most likely never seeing him pitch.

Callis is now saying the Reds might be taking Woodinville (Wash.) HS outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo at No. 7.

Who???
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

From the latest Draft Blog Update at BA...

Crazy Last-Hour Rumor Dept.
    The Reds may be considering Woodinville (Wash.) HS outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo at No. 7. He's one of the nation's top quarterback recruits and a very good athlete, but it's hard to believe Cincinnati would pass up players like Georgia HS shortstop Chris Nelson and Texas HS righty Homer Bailey to take him. Cincy probably could get Tuiasosopo in the second round, unless the Yankees take him at No. 42. New York reportedly is interested.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

He's the Raiders QB's little brother.

He's got a letter of intent to go to Washington, but he wants to play minor league ball and college football at the same time.

That better be just crap they are throwing out there instead of a serious pick. No OF's in the first round, please. Especially ahead of Nelson and Bailey.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Washington qb signee, brother was a star and now with Raiders. Is said to be above average in every facet of the game.

Turn Off Ads?