Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Draft thread

Re: 2004 Draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Why Zombie? Have you ever seen Bailey pitch?
    No; but to think that this org will suddenly develop this raw arm when they've failed so many times before is foolish. I'm not saying it's impossible for Bailey to, someday, succeed, but rather that if the Reds take him they'll grind his arm into powder before he ever reaches the bigs.

And I thought he sounded like a little turd in his interview on MLB.com.

Yep, that's it. :mhcky21:
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the Reds reach on their first pick, I will be very upset. The first draft for a new regime should send the right message. Taking a second round talent in the first round would infuriate me. :thumbdn:

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Callis is now saying the Reds might be taking Woodinville (Wash.) HS outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo at No. 7.

Who???
    Yes, that's Marcus' brother. The Raider backup was at the QB "Shootout" golf tourney this weekend (here in Portland) and was interviewed on the radio. Marcus talked about how Matt was going to play college FB unless he was drafted pretty high in the 1st round, etc

If the Reds actually select him @ #7...this place could get ugly
    Never overlook the obvious

haha, I like your honestly man!

12:13 PM ET: Crazy Last-Hour Rumor Dept.
    The Reds may be considering Woodinville (Wash.) HS outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo at No. 7. He's one of the nation's top quarterback recruits and a very good athlete, but it's hard to believe Cincinnati would pass up players like Georgia HS shortstop Chris Nelson and Texas HS righty Homer Bailey to take him. Cincy probably could get Tuiasosopo in the second round, unless the Yankees take him at No. 42. New York reportedly is interested.
    -- Jim Callis

12:25 PM ET: Has Drew Found A Home?
    Florida State shortstop Stephen Drew may not tumble too far after all. The Orioles appear to be closing in on Drew at No. 8. The ripple effects: The Rockies take Georgia HS shortstop Chris Nelson at No. 9, and the Rangers could ponder taking Rice righthander Wade Townsend rather than Missouri HS lefty Scott Elbert at No. 10. At No. 13, the Expos would take Townsend, and if he's not there, likely William & Mary lefty Bill Bray or New Orleans righty Thomas Diamond. If Montreal winds up with Bray, the Diamondbacks would take Oklahoma lefty David Purcey at 15, and the Blue Jays would take Texas A&M lefty Zach Jackson if Purcey is gone at 16.
    -- Jim Callis

Roy Oswalt was a college pitcher when he was drafted.

The reward, though is high. Kerry Wood, Roy Oswalt... And you have development time for young athletes to grow physically and in maturity, whereas college pitchers in general have less ceiling.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Why do I have a sense of doom with this draft? I don't trust Reynolds much.

I hope the rumors are a smokescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds
    Why do I have a sense of doom with this draft? I don't trust Reynolds much.

I hope the rumors are a smokescreen.
    Well, within a half hour we'll find out. I kind of have the same feeling about Reynolds, but I'm hoping its all been smokescreen and they take one of the high ceiling players (Nelson, Sowers, Bailey) that is sure to be there ahead of a reach pick like Tuiasosopo.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I should add that seeing Nelson being drafted #9 and the Reds rumored to take an OF that has a football scholarship and brothers in the NFL does not make me feel good.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Who knows, maybe this Tuiasasopo is the "Jeremy Brown" of the 2004 draft. :MandJ:
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Well, within a half hour we'll find out. I kind of have the same feeling about Reynolds, but I'm hoping its all been smokescreen and they take one of the high ceiling players (Nelson, Sowers, Bailey) that is sure to be there ahead of a reach pick like Tuiasosopo.
    Yeah, but you would think that if the Reds were trying to be crafty they wouldn't throw out a "you gotta be kidding me!" name like Tuiasosopo, which no one is going to believe.... which means it just might be true.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

It's not that out of the world, he's rated top 35 I believe from BA and honestly he's mucher higher on position player charts.

There is no way the Reds can take a guy like Tuiasosopa with the first round pick. He is going to college to play football. Even if he plays in the summer like he wants the Reds can't take the chance to develop him for four years and then have him go to the NFL. Not when John Allen stated the purge was so as to build thru the draft. Not after Dan O states the Reds are not signing free agents to stay the course and build a farm system. You have to take the best player on the board when you pick (i.e., Chris Nelson) to back up that plan.

Now I know that no matter who the Reds pick they are going to claim he was the top rated guy on their board at that slot - but Tuisosopa is a risk, a risk that he won't stick with baseball and a risk that he won't develop.

Now in the second round, OK, maybe - but with the seventh pick, no freakin way.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Agreed, but my point is that the top prospects in baseball are pretty much all high schoolers-

BBA Top 25-
    4.Edwin Jackson
    8.Greg Miller(blew his arm out though I think)
    12.Scott Kazmir
    13.Adam Loewen
    14.Zack Grienke
    17.Cole Hammels
    18.Dustin McGowan(blew his arm out)
    23.Gavin Floyd

Tsao is ranked 24th. After that, its mostly foreign developed players or college pitchers(Kyle Sleeth at 36).
    Yet in just two months we can already perform a where-are-they-now on these guys.

Jackson - AAA 5.13 ERA, Majors 1.80 ERA (one start)
    Miller - Blowout
    Kazmir - High A 6.23 ERA, feared injured
    Loewen - Low A 3.48 ERA
    Greinke - AAA 2.51 ERA, Majors 2.37 ERA
    Hamels - High A 1.13 ERA, started season on DL
    MCGowan - Blowout
    Floyd - AA 2.59 ERA

Already you're seeing a high attrition rate. And this is from the guys who've risen to be the cream of the crop. My guess would be that two of these eight turn into significant pitchers. Just a guess, but if you go through past BA Top 100 lists you'll see a high flameout rate for guys like them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?