Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pitching schedule

Pitching schedule

Lancaster notes that Germano will be getting a start in the first week of games in March. He kind of dissapeared last year in September. Everyone thought he would be getting a call-up at the end of the season once he was traded here, but when he didn't get that call, everyone kind of forgot about him. I would love to see him do well this spring and really challenge guys for the 5th spot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pitching schedule

He can have Milton's spot right now
    Go Gators!

Friday, February 24, 2006

SARASOTA -- Just to make Jerry Narron happy, let me emphasize right up top that all of what follows is extremely tentative -- "not even written in mud," as he said. Nonetheless, the Reds have set up some probables for their first stretch of exhibition games, and the little boxes on the calendar point to one conclusion: Aaron Harang is in line to be the Reds' Opening Day starter.

Harang is slated to start the Reds' game at Legends Field against the Yankees a week from tomorrow. With the traditional four days' rest, you can plot out his starts all the way to a scheduled turn April 3 against the Cubs at Great American Ball Park. None of this is locked in, mind you, but all signs point in that direction.

"Aaron Harang definitely deserves a chance at it," said Narron, "but we’ll see what happens."

As for the starters in the other exhibition games next week, here's the (tentative) rundown:

Tuesday vs. Kia Tigers -- Dave Williams

Wednesday's intrasquad game -- Brandon Claussen (and TBA, I assume)

Thursday at Detroit -- Eric Milton

Friday split-squad vs. Detroit and at Minnesota -- Justin Germano and Mike Gosling
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

got alil captain in u?

i have no problem with that schedule im interested to see how germano and gosling do against to teams who could contend in the AL central

who will be our closer? I am hearing different things.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    who will be our closer? I am hearing different things.
    Closer will be 'by committee' until someone (anyone, please) establishes him(her)self. I imagine everyone will get a shot and whoever doesn't blow the save will get another shot, and so on, and so on...

Soto is apparently teaching his circle change to some of the pitchers in camp...if any of them can throw it like Mario, it will change their career. If Milton can get his legs back under his fastball AND throw a decent circle change he could be a different pitcher this season...and there's no denying he needs to be a different pitcher.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

I wish young Wagner could win the closer's spot. I think it would be huge for this team to have a young closer, and a guy thats up and coming instead of a guy that couldn't possibly be around too much longer (weathers)

I hope they just go with the hot hand as closer, split the saves up.
    Go Gators!

Monday, February 27, 2006
    Coffey: Future closer?
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. - Todd Coffey is used to the closer questions.

"You're about the nine millionth person to ask me about it," the right-handed Coffey said.

Coffey, 25, has been anointed by former Reds ace Mario Soto as the closer of the future. General manager Wayne Krivsky and CEO Bob Castellini have mentioned Coffey as a potential closer as well.

Not that manager Jerry Narron, who will make the final call, hasn't put Coffey at the top of his closer list.

"The only thing I've said about him closing is he did it in the minor leagues," Narron said. "I don't think I've said he's in the running any more or any less than anyone else to be a closer on this team."

That's OK with Coffey.

"I'm just trying to make the team," he said. "Whatever role Jerry uses me in is fine. I'm going to pitch the same no matter if it's the fifth or ninth inning. I'm going to do whatever it takes to help the team win."

Coffey had a decent 2005. He went 4-1 with a 4.50 ERA. But he was very hittable at times. He gave up 84 hits and only struck out 26 in 58 innings.

Compare that with 2004 - when at two stops in the minors he allowed 51 hits and struck out 64 in 59 innings.

The Reds sent Coffey to the Instructional League to try to get back his split-finger fastball in hopes that it would make him harder to hit.

"It's coming along pretty good," Coffey said. "Obviously, this is the first time I've thrown it to hitters. It's hard to tell because they know what's coming. I'll continue to play with it."

Narron gave it a similar review.

"It looks OK," Narron said. "It's something he used in the minor leagues effectively."

"He's trying to add it to his repertoire," added Narron. "We'll see how good it is when he faces Albert Pujols."

Coffey also has been working with Soto on the circle change-up.

"It's kind of the same as the one I threw before," Coffey said. "But little things make a big difference. It comes out of my hand just like a fastball. Guys knew it was coming but still swung and missed."

Last year was an interesting one for Coffey. He was horrible in his first stint - 11.25 ERA in three outings from April 19-26. But he was much better the second time around, posting a 4-1 record and 4.00 ERA in 54 outings from May 9 to the end of the season.

"It was a dream come true - in the big leagues, one of 750," he said. "I learned a lot. I learned so much from (David) Weathers and (Kent) Mercker."

Coffey's arm is first-rate. But it's his attitude and work ethic that first impressed Soto, who is in camp as a guest instructor.

"I didn't know him," Soto said. "But the first time I saw him I liked his arm and the way he pitches. He throws strikes. But he loves to pitch. I like that."

Narron says similar things about Coffey but he doesn't want to raise the expectations too high.

"We're just trying to get him ready for the season," Narron said. "We're looking for him to pitch well enough to make the club.

"We're going to go with match-ups (as far as closing). Weathers and Mercker are the most experienced guys. If someone else can step and do it, great."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...602270369/1071
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I don't understand all the Coffey closer talk we're getting these days. He didn't even look like a good setup man last year. He's got a long way to go

Same reason we're hearing a lot about Homer Bailey: ain't much to talk about.

That, and all of the hope resides in the kids. The vets stink.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?