Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Palm Beach Post: Reese finds solace on diamond

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Palm Beach Post: Reese finds solace on diamond

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins...LINS_0224.html

I know we were all aware of Pokey Reese's poor upbringing and I also seem to recall his fiancee dying in a car accident when he was in the minors, but does anyone else recall the other incident from this article? I sure don't.

Perhaps if some of this had been made more public, Reds fans might have had a slightly different outlook on Pokey's various adventures in Red. I'm not suggesting that past trauma excuses loafing on a major-league baseball diamond when you're paying someone millions to play a kids' game, but still. Fans in Cincinnati detested Reese by the end of the 2001 season. Just hated his guts mercilessly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Palm Beach Post: Reese finds solace on diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins...LINS_0224.html

I know we were all aware of Pokey Reese's poor upbringing and I also seem to recall his fiancee dying in a car accident when he was in the minors, but does anyone else recall the other incident from this article? I sure don't.

Perhaps if some of this had been made more public, Reds fans might have had a slightly different outlook on Pokey's various adventures in Red. I'm not suggesting that past trauma excuses loafing on a major-league baseball diamond when you're paying someone millions to play a kids' game, but still. Fans in Cincinnati detested Reese by the end of the 2001 season. Just hated his guts mercilessly.
    Yeah, that's too bad, but it doesn't excuse him tanking it in 2001 because he didn't get as much money as he wanted.

The thing is, after 1999 he was one of the most popular players on the team. Then he threw a multi-million, long term contract away. Maybe it was because McKeon wasn't there anymore. But most players play for more than one manager in their careers so they are going to have to adjust to new managers every now and then. Lots of players go through tough times and have had bad things happen to them and their loved ones. That's a shame but the good ones get over it.

I'd rather have Tony Womack start 162 games at 2nd than have Pokey on my team. At least I know Womack will try.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Skeeter Barnes says Pokey Reese is just one of those ballplayers who thinks he's much better than he really is.

''Apparently, he thinks a lot of himself,'' said Barnes, a Cincinnati native, who played fo r the Reds in 1983-84 and 1989.

But, more important, Barnes calls Reese a terrible father - and he has first-hand knowledge . Christy Jones , 26, is Barnes' stepdaughter and the mother of four-year-old McKayla .

And Pokey Reese is the father.
    http://www.cincypost.com/2001/aug/17/furman081701.html

Four-month-old McKayla Reese will undoubtedly confront her father sometime in the next 15-20 years to demand to know why he is so overprotective of her.

At some point, her dad, Reds infielder Pokey Reese, will have to explain why he and her mother, Christy, are insistent on spending so much time with her.

''I love her so much, man, and I know that anything can happen at any time,'' Reese said.
    http://www.cincypost.com/sports/1998/reds022898.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R

The thing is, after 1999 he was one of the most popular players on the team. Then he threw a multi-million, long term contract away.
    Thank God!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If we'd paid Reese we wouldn't have been able to afford Graves

Go Gators!

I always liked Pokey. I hope he has another nice year before his career is over and I wouldn't mind seeing him have one more stint with the Reds before its all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    I always liked Pokey. I hope he has another nice year before his career is over and I wouldn't mind seeing him have one more stint with the Reds before its all said and done.
    I think he burned his bridges here... at least I hope so.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I think he burned his bridges here... at least I hope so.
    If Pokey Reese is the answer, I don't want to know the question.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Pokey Reese can play road games for my Uruguayan soccer team any time.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    If Pokey Reese is the answer, I don't want to know the question.
    What if the question is "What's not the answer?"
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    What if the question is "What's not the answer?"
    ...then the answer would include half of the Reds active roster.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    I wouldn't mind seeing him have one more stint with the Reds before its all said and done.

GAAAHHHHHH!!!

Wait.

Is there a "Reds" team in Japan? Please?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

considering how bad the defense is reputed to be and how good the offense is, I'd bat him 8th just to see if his D could help the pitching staff.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Pokey Reese can play road games for my Uruguayan soccer team any time.
    F.C. Soylent Green?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Funny, I always thought he was finding solace IN diamonds, not on them.

BLING!

GL

Turn Off Ads?