Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Harang likely to be opening day starter

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Harang likely to be opening day starter

Notes: Harang likely to start opener
    No confirmation yet, but Narron hints at righty getting nod
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- All signs are favorably pointing towards Aaron Harang being the Reds' Opening Day starting pitcher.
    Harang was Cincinnati's most consistent starter in 2005, going 11-13 with a 3.83 ERA in 32 starts. He was the lone member of the rotation to surpass 200 innings, working 211 2/3 frames.

Reds manager Jerry Narron declined to make any confirmations, but he certainly hinted about which way he was leaning.

"Aaron Harang definitely deserves a chance at it, but we'll see what happens," Narron said.

Tentatively, Harang's first exhibition start will be March 4 against the Yankees at Tampa. If given the expected four days rest between starts all month, it would put the right-hander perfectly in line to pitch the April 3 regular-season opener against the Cubs at Great American Ball Park.

Keenly aware of Cincinnati's lengthy baseball tradition and the attention the first game usually generates from the fans, Harang was prepared for the assignment.

"It's the oldest franchise in Major League Baseball," Harang said. "For anybody to get that Opening Day start, it's an honor. But I'm going to go out and get ready for the season, build up some innings and get my arm in shape this spring."

The last time the Reds had the same pitcher start openers in back-to-back years was Pete Harnisch in 2000-01. Paul Wilson made last year's Opening Day start.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harang likely to be opening day starter

Poor Aaron. We hardly knew ye.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I'll belive it when I see it..I still think it's Milton.
    Go Gators!

It would be nice to send the message that Opening Day starter is earned on merit. Although the choice of Wilson last year was defensible, since he was the best returning starter, as Harang is this year.

no love for Williams (kidding, kidding)

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Well Aaron did have a complete game vs. the cubbies last year. Plus the other than Pierre the Cubs still have a pretty free swinging lineup
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

This scares me to death. Every year the opening day starter is named because they were the most consistent the year before. Then they tank.
    I'm sure this isn't always the case but I've still got the heebie-jeebies from the years that Jimmie Haynes and Paul Wilson got opening day nods. I like Aaron too much for this to happen to him. Why can't Milton be named starter? Who would notice if he sucked this year? Or maybe if the worst pitcher from last year starts opening day, he will have a good year this year.
    It's worth a shot isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by fourrunhomer
    This scares me to death. Every year the opening day starter is named because they were the most consistent the year before. Then they tank.
    It's the Opening Day Starter curse.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I've still got the heebie-jeebies from the years that Jimmie Haynes and Paul Wilson got opening day nods.
    Joey Hamilton!!!! Don't forget Joey Hamilton!!

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Joey Hamilton!!!! Don't forget Joey Hamilton!!

That NEVER happened. And you can't convince me that it did.

(Please stop making me leave my happy place)...
    Last edited by membengal; 02-25-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Why can't Milton be named starter? Who would notice if he sucked this year?
    I think this is why:

"It's the oldest franchise in Major League Baseball," Harang said. "For anybody to get that Opening Day start, it's an honor."
    Plus, Narron has not yet said it's etched in stone:

Saturday, February 25, 2006
    Harang gets the early nod
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. - Reds manager Jerry Narron went beyond his it-isn't-written-in-cement comment.

"It isn't even written in mud," he said.

But right now the plan is for Aaron Harang to be the Opening Day starter April 3 when the Reds start the season with the Chicago Cubs at Great American Ball Park.

"Aaron Harang deserves a chance at it," Narron said. "We'll see what happens. We have to get aligned by the middle of March. It might even be lined up now."

Harang was the Reds' best starter last year. He went 11-13 with a 3.83 ERA.

He's not marking Opening Day on his calendar yet.

"For anyone, it would be exciting," he said. "But I'm going to go out and prepare myself for my start - no matter when it is."

Being the Opening Day starter in Cincinnati is a big deal, given the tradition and pomp and circumstance of the day.

"It would be an honor," Harang said. "This is the oldest franchise."

Incidentally, one of the hallmarks of the club in recent years has been different Opening Day starters every year.

Harang would be the sixth different Opening Day starter in six years: 2005 - Paul Wilson; 2004 - Cory Lidle; 2003 - Jimmy Haynes; 2002 - Joey Hamilton; 2001 - Pete Harnisch.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Headed South

Compared to how the rest of the scrubs we've run out there the last dozen opening days, Harang is in the upper end at this point.

Of course, this is all retrospective. I like the Harangatang now, but I'm not sure I'll feel the same way in a year or two.

The art of losing isn't hard to master.

- e.b.

Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone12
    Compared to how the rest of the scrubs we've run out there the last dozen opening days, Harang is in the upper end at this point.

Of course, this is all retrospective. I like the Harangatang now, but I'm not sure I'll feel the same way in a year or two.
    Nice Bishop sig.

Nice Villon quote.

Good points. I think the point of view is rather distorted by the audacity of Harang being competent.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I think this is why:

Plus, Narron has not yet said it's etched in stone:

There is no doubt in my mind that Harrang deserves it at this point. I was just being funny. And lamenting over recent string of bad luck that opening day starters have had lately for the Reds. One bright spot though is I believe that Harrang is truelly a good pitcher and did not have the best season last year by default or an aging veteran who put together one more decent year.

Turn Off Ads?