Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else here hate auto racing?

Does anyone else here hate auto racing?

i know there is a lot of craftsmenship involved with mechanics,the car makers etc....i just cant get into watching cars drive in circles for hours and then watch these guys in jump suits with 500 decals on their outfits walk around like they are somebody because they can drive a car in circles real fast???

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: does any1 else here just hate auto racing??

I don't really hate it, but I can't say that I'm a fan either. I don't care for the racing on large oval tracks because for the most part it bores me to tears, but I caught a Formula 1 race on tv one day and it looked somewhat interesting for no other reason than there was some variety to the track. If Nascar ran on those kind of tracks, maybe I could get into watching it, but watching cars go around an oval doesn't do much for me either.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Cannot stand any type of auto racing. It's not a sport. Kids don't go into their backyards to play NASCAR.

When I interned at 700 WLW a very long ime ago, Seg Dennison was the first man I ever met to even remotely like racing. There were so many racing posters in the office that I had to have him explain the fascination with it to me.

Seg was a wonderful guy, but his explanation didn't make me like it any better.

I've watched more episodes of General Hospital than I've seen auto racing events on t.v.

Just a boring, boring, thing.....
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner

I've watched more episodes of General Hospital than I've seen auto racing events on t.v.

Robert Scorpio's been back, you know......
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

So has Rick Springfield and now Emma Samms...oh the days of the ice princess.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Some people are bored to tears by baseball. To each his own, I guess.

As for racing, I love it.

There is a lot strategy involved. When to pit, how many tires to take, who to draft with, when to make your move.

It's so much more than driving in circles.

And the athlete part. I think anyone who can sit in a car that can reach temps in excess of 120 degrees for 3 - 4 hours while driving with 42 other cars going 150mph are more athletic than David Wells or Danny Graves.

JMHO.
    Last edited by creek14; 02-25-2006 at 06:21 AM.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

It ranks up there with Professional wrestling to me. I would rather attend a week long symposium on" Plate Techtonics" than watch 10 minutes of auto racing.

Could the "sport" (using the term loosely) be any more comericalize? Can they possible get any more ads on their car or uniforms?
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

I think anyone who can sit in a car that can reach temps in excess of 120 degrees for 3 - 4 hours while driving with 42 other cars going 150mph are more athletic than David Wells or Danny Graves.
    Just let me know the next time a gym class goes and plays NASCAR.

Forget politics, we have our first topic of debate for June, creek.

And the athlete part. I think anyone who can sit in a car that can reach temps in excess of 120 degrees for 3 - 4 hours while driving with 42 other cars going 150mph are more athletic than David Wells or Danny Graves.
    Richard Petty says that driving today is easy... back in his day before power steering... blah, blah, blah....

I grew up in the car crazy 60's and 70's.. I know whats under the hood, I driven 120 miles an hour on the highway.

But racing to me makes the NBA look like MLB and I haven't watched an NBA game for longer than 10 minutes in 15 years.

i don't think i've ever watched more than 2 minutes of racing in my life...funny thing, there is a professional track less than a half hour from my house...people come from all over the country just to watch that crap in person...amazing...i just don't get it at all

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Auto racing is a funny thing, people can't often relate to it like they can sports like baseball, football, or things like that because the majority of people who say they don't like it have never actually participated in the sport. people play baseball growing up and can appreciate the skills it takes to be a good player, while in racing you have no idea what it is really like. I've had the chance to take an inside look at NASCAR, and i have to say, it is a very complex and interesting sport to me, but i'm a mechanical engineering student. The excitement of driving 180 miles an hour and having to make split second decisions that could mean the difference between crashing and winning excites me. If you don't like complex sports then auto racing isn't for you, if you like the strategy and technical skills that go into the sport, than it is for you. I can tell you this, the drivers are every bit an athlete as anybody from any other sport. Take Mark Martin for example. The veteran of NASCAR works every day to get stronger and improve his hand-eye cordination. From personally talking with him, it's amazing how hard he has worked to stay on the top of the sport. I'm not trying to convert anybody, if you don't like the sport you don't like it and that's fine, but the criticism of drivers and saying it is a wimp sport when you have never tried it to me is pretty unfair.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I actually found some of the Daytona 500 interesting.

I'm not sure what was wrong with me last Sunday.

I think it's probably fun to go on a Friday night dirt track date, but sitting in the southern heat and humidity for four hours of noise, cheap beer, and tons of fat and skin that belongs covered up is not my idea of a good time.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    It ranks up there with Professional wrestling to me. I would rather attend a week long symposium on" Plate Techtonics" than watch 10 minutes of auto racing.

Could the "sport" (using the term loosely) be any more comericalize? Can they possible get any more ads on their car or uniforms?
    It's either that or charge $300 per ticket to the races. Each race costs thousands upon thousands of dollars per team to put on, and that cost goes up for any given team that gets a $100,000 race car demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago
    i don't think i've ever watched more than 2 minutes of racing in my life...funny thing, there is a professional track less than a half hour from my house...people come from all over the country just to watch that crap in person...amazing...i just don't get it at all
    And how would you expect to get it by observing it for less than two minutes in your life? Did your first drink of beer taste good?

I think the vast majority of people who bash racing have never been around the sport or have never taken the time to understand it. Their minds are closed and that is that. It's kind of an attitude of "If I looked at it for fifteen minutes one time and didn't find it interesting, then it must be mind-numbing and pointless." But you've gotta figure, there's something that brings 160,000 to 200,000 people to some race tracks at $40-$150 per ticket just to watch a single event, and many of them drive six or eight hours to do it. Are these people just too ignorant to realize how pointless and boring racing is, or could it be that they might have some insight into what is going on in the pits and on the track that the casual observer does not?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Kids don't go into their backyards to play NASCAR.
    Only because we don't put real race cars in their toyboxes. :
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?