Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oddity about Chipper Jones

Haunted by walks

Oddity about Chipper Jones

He has played 12 years in the majors and has never finished out of first place.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oddity about Chipper Jones

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    I hadn't thought of that. Of course, with six divisions, that remarkable feat is easier to achieve than when there were two leagues with no divisions. Had the AL had three divisions throughout his long career, Yogi Berra probably would have never failed to have been on a first place team, either.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

That is odd....The braves run has been pretty amazing...as much as I dislike Bobby Cox gotta respect what he has done.
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    Equally odd, even though he has finished first 12 years, he has only won one World Series ring.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Yet still more odd, he is a grown man with the given name of Larry, yet chooses to be referred to as "Chipper."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Yet still more odd, he is a grown man with the given name of Larry, yet chooses to be referred to as "Chipper."
    Just like Pokey, Gookie, etc., I'm sure Chipper has been his "name" all his life; rather than a conscious choice, I'm sure it just stuck.... right Chip?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    That is odd....The braves run has been pretty amazing...as much as I dislike Bobby Cox gotta respect what he has done.
    why do you dislike Bobby Cox?
    School's out. What did you expect?

i hate the braves, but Chipper is my favorite player

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Just like Pokey, Gookie, etc., I'm sure Chipper has been his "name" all his life; rather than a conscious choice, I'm sure it just stuck.... right Chip?
    Sorry, No offense to Chip. I just like picking on Chipper Jones. On the one hand, he bugs me, as do all Braves players, after having had to watch them for so many years as my primary outlet for Reds baseball. On the other hand, I do get a kick out of Skip Caray's incredibly nasal "CHIPPAH JOHNES" call.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

When the Reds were closing in on the record for most games without being shut out, Atlanta came to town. This was in 2000 or 2001, IIRC. Anyway, it got to be the ninth inning, and the Braves had scored and the Reds hadn't. Desperate to extend the streak, if not win the game, a rally materialized when Chipper Jones muffed one at third. The Reds eventually scored an unearned run to continue their charge toward the record, and even rallied to win the game.

I was surrounded by Braves fans. I wasn't very charitable, I'm afraid.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    why do you dislike Bobby Cox?
    partly the wife beating thing, mostly envy
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    partly the wife beating thing, mostly envy
    fair enough.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    I was surrounded by Braves fans. I wasn't very charitable, I'm afraid.
    The Reds were beating the Braves 6-3 in the bottom of the 8th on May 21, 2003. I was sitting next to the most arrogant Braves fans imaginable. Anyway, after hearing for the whole game how the Braves most certainly would not lose two in a row to the loser Reds, Dunn comes up to pinch hit with Stinnett on 2nd base and Lopez on 1st base. That's when the "he strikes out too much" chorus began. I just took another pull on my Bud Light and told them that Dunn was going yard in this particular at bat. The laughter, on their part, ensued at that point, but you know what they say about laughing last and the loudest. I don't recall the particular count, but sure enough Dunn blasted one out of GABP to put the game out of reach for the Braves and thus giving the win to Chris Reitsma. Who, ironically, would eventually be traded for the guy who gave up Dunn's pinch hit HR. None other than our very own Jung Keun Bong.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Why was he pinch hitting?

Great story, BTW.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Obviously because Reggie Taylor needed playing time
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?