Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Future

The Future

For some reason I got excited just seeing this picture....there is light at the end of the tunnel!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Future

Looks like he has the Brian Reith deer in the headlights look.....

According to all projections, he'll lose that pretty soon.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Take it slow
    Go Gators!

Im all for taking it slow, but why is everyone scared of him starting at AA? Are they afraid that since he is in AA that they might call him up to make a few spot starts late in the season? Or do they just not want him in AA? I think it would be awful if they put him in AA and call him up for a few starts but i dont think it would be terrible if they put him in AA for a whole season then AAA next year if he holds his own in AA. And then next year maybe a few spot starts. But i agree they need to take it slow but i dont see him starting out at AA as being terrible.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k
    Im all for taking it slow, but why is everyone scared of him starting at AA? Are they afraid that since he is in AA that they might call him up to make a few spot starts late in the season? Or do they just not want him in AA? I think it would be awful if they put him in AA and call him up for a few starts but i dont think it would be terrible if they put him in AA for a whole season then AAA next year if he holds his own in AA. And then next year maybe a few spot starts. But i agree they need to take it slow but i dont see him starting out at AA as being terrible.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really see the point to starting him in Double-A. I think it's a bad idea for pitchers to skip levels unless they're just utterly dominant, and Bailey hasn't been. Start him in High-A where he should be, and if he's made serious progress and is ready for Double-A, it'll be obvious soon enough. And I'm not sure I'd promote him even then. The Reds have acted in the past as if their philosophy of pitcher development is the Peter Principle -- if a guy starts to succeed, promote him until he crashes and burns -- as opposed to letting the guy sustain success and move him up when you know he's ready instead of hoping he's ready.

If Bailey spends the whole season stomping the Florida State League like a used cigarette, that won't hurt him a bit.
    Not all who wander are lost

Homer looks like Jimmy Fallon in that picture.

The future:

Oops. Let's hope Homer turns out a little better than our other future stars.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really see the point to starting him in Double-A. I think it's a bad idea for pitchers to skip levels unless they're just utterly dominant, and Bailey hasn't been. Start him in High-A where he should be, and if he's made serious progress and is ready for Double-A, it'll be obvious soon enough. And I'm not sure I'd promote him even then. The Reds have acted in the past as if their philosophy of pitcher development is the Peter Principle -- if a guy starts to succeed, promote him until he crashes and burns -- as opposed to letting the guy sustain success and move him up when you know he's ready instead of hoping he's ready.

If Bailey spends the whole season stomping the Florida State League like a used cigarette, that won't hurt him a bit.
    I really agree with that. Let Bailey have some sustained success at one level before promoting him too quickly.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I've seen nothing in Homer Bailey's performance that would lead me to believe that he's capable of pitching at a higher level this season.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I've seen nothing in Homer Bailey's performance that would lead me to believe that he's capable of pitching at a higher level this season.
    If you truly believe every word you just said, then I'm guessing you have never seen him pitch, unless you mean "at a higher level" is MLB. I personally would have him at high-A this year to start, then move him up if he is still taking care of biz. His main problem is his control, I would like to see him get a hold of that before he hits AA bc if he is wild in AA, he might get rocked.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    The future:
    Buzz killer :
    Go Gators!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    If you truly believe every word you just said, then I'm guessing you have never seen him pitch, unless you mean "at a higher level" is MLB. I personally would have him at high-A this year to start, then move him up if he is still taking care of biz. His main problem is his control, I would like to see him get a hold of that before he hits AA bc if he is wild in AA, he might get rocked.
    I think you're getting your cart ahead of your horse here. :

Wheels said "performance," which means actual results and not hype or potential. Based on his pro career to date, there's no reason to believe Bailey's ready for Double-A yet; he hasn't pitched at High-A and wasn't dominant at Low-A. You said yourself he needs to improve his command before he's going to succeed there. Granted, he could move quickly if his command improves, because he can miss bats -- but he needs to earn his promotions on results and not wishful thinking.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    I think you're getting your cart ahead of your horse here. :

Wheels said "performance," which means actual results and not hype or potential. Based on his pro career to date, there's no reason to believe Bailey's ready for Double-A yet; he hasn't pitched at High-A and wasn't dominant at Low-A. You said yourself he needs to improve his command before he's going to succeed there. Granted, he could move quickly if his command improves, because he can miss bats -- but he needs to earn his promotions on results and not wishful thinking.
    Thank you very much.

That's what I was trying to get across.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Have you seen him pitch? If so, please provide details of why you make this statement. If not, you should ask yourself why you feel the need to critisize a person for things you cannot back up with some type of objectivity.

I'd like to see him start at AA.....

Turn Off Ads?