Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lewis wants to cut Bengal who leaked outburst (2/25)

Re: Lewis wants to cut Bengal who leaked outburst (2/25)

I'm a little torn on this... part of me agrees with Chip and thinks that Marvin should just let this little escapade fade away while another part of me agrees with Marvin that this is something that shouldn't be allowed to slide...

I think the story being embellished is what really got his goat... would I be willing to jettison T.J. over the matter if it was him? Nope.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    So how does he know if he's releasing the right guy? What if he releases, for example, Chris Perry and it was really T.J. who was the leak? Marvin may be a good coach but he's stupid bringing this up again. If he's true to his word and releases the player who leaked this, what's Bengal Fan going to say if it was Rudi or T.J.? What if it was Carson - which is highly doubtful since he had problems of his own? More to the point, what is Mike Brown going to say if Marvin tells him to cut someone he owes a vault full of money to? What if he doesn't follow through with his threat/promise? Then it loks like he's either got a double standard or he's a liar or he's weak. They need to let sleeping dogs lie here. Nothing good is going to come from bringing all this back up. Marvin needs to plug leaks on his defense and not worry about leaks to the media.
    My sentiments exactly buddy. And he certainly doesn't need to be "advertising" or talking to the media about what actions he is gonna take. I understand that his intent is to get a message of unity across to the team, while also dealing with the "perpetrator(s)"; but he could have accomplished both of those objectives within the clubhouse, and not by speaking to the media over it. I think that, in and of itself, doesn't help that unity.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    My sentiments exactly buddy. And he certainly doesn't need to be "advertising" or talking to the media about what actions he is gonna take. I understand that his intent is to get a message of unity across to the team, while also dealing with the "perpetrator(s)"; but he could have accomplished both of those objectives within the clubhouse, and not by speaking to the media over it. I think that, in and of itself, doesn't help that unity.
    That would be great if it was your locker room, but its not. Sounds to me like Marvin is trying to smoke the varmint out using the press. Since there are many management styles that accomplish the same goal, I'll defer to the one in charge here and say that his track record with personnel issues has been successful.

As for Chip's concerns with Brown footing the bill for such a move if it was someone due a lot of money, he has let Marvin and Katie run the show since he hired him. I think he would be smart enough to trust his manager here too. That trust got him his first playoff appearance as owner, after all.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    So how does he know if he's releasing the right guy? What if he releases, for example, Chris Perry and it was really T.J. who was the leak?
    Are you kidding? Do you think he would fire someone without that person admitting they were the one who said it, once he knew who to confront? You actually think he's just gonna take some wild guess and pull the hatchet out?

Retired

Marvin isn't stupid, he's probably got a pretty good idea who leaked it. He wouldn't have made the statement about cutting the player otherwise, he isn't going to set himself up to look like an idiot.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Marvin isn't stupid, he's probably got a pretty good idea who leaked it. He wouldn't have made the statement about cutting the player otherwise, he isn't going to set himself up to look like an idiot.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. He knows- he's just waiting to make an example-or perhaps he doesn't know and is trying to scare somebody and lessen the chance of it happening again.

[QUOTE=traderumor]That would be great if it was your locker room, but its not. Sounds to me like Marvin is trying to smoke the varmint out [QUOTE]

Then Marvin should have called me. If anyone has experience in "smoking out varmits", then it's me.

I have always felt that Marvin has done a good job at controlling the clubhouse. And that is hard to do with any coach when one thinks of all the differing personalities and egos present.

I just personally think he shouldn't have mentioned this to the press, but possibly said "No comment. We are handling this in house."
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I just personally think he shouldn't have mentioned this to the press, but possibly said "No comment. We are handling this in house."
    I agree with you there. I think it would be best if Marvin just clamped down on the talk to the media and handled things behind the scenes. If someone wants to talk after they get cut, so be it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Then Marvin should have called me. If anyone has experience in "smoking out varmits", then it's me.

I have always felt that Marvin has done a good job at controlling the clubhouse. And that is hard to do with any coach when one thinks of all the differing personalities and egos present.

But here's the thing. Since Marvin's policy is hush hush whenever possible when it comes to media, he could be given the benefit of the doubt that he is attempting to use the media as a tool for handling this situation rather than simply looking at it as airing dirty laundry. Since he has a track record of not generally being a hypocrite, I think its all a part of his stragety for handling the situation.

Turn Off Ads?