Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Castellini Battle Steinbrenner for Piniella?

Reds Chick Baseblogger

Will Castellini Battle Steinbrenner for Piniella?

The New York Daily News has an article today talking about George Steinbrenner's interest in Lou Piniella. I talk about the article and my feelings about Piniella on RHM:

http://www.red-hot-mama.com/comments.php?id=373_0_1_0_C

Before, the primary thing that scared me about Piniella was how he seemed to fall apart in Tampa Bay. Of course, that was unfair of me: Tampa Bay is about as dysfunctional an organization as there is.

Now the thing that scares me most is that Steinbrenner may well drive up his price.
    Endeavoring to make "Javier Valentin" a household name since 2005.

Check out this week's podcast.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Castellini Battle Steinbrenner for Piniella?

I think Tampa Bay WAS a dysfunctional organization that had an incredible knack for drafting high quality future superstars...too bad Lou caught on with the wrong group.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

In a bidding war with the Yanks we should quit before we start.
    Go Gators!

Reds Chick Baseblogger

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    In a bidding war with the Yanks we should quit before we start.
    It's fine as long as we lose.

Are the Yankees getting rid of Torre? or vice versa.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Reds Chick Baseblogger

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    The NY Daily News article says:
    If Torre doesn't win it all this year, it wouldn't be at all surprising for Steinbrenner to pay him the $6 million he's owed for '08 and pay a like amount to Piniella just to keep him from signing on someplace else. Hey, it's only money.

Last time we were in a bidding war with the Yankees was when the Reds signed Eric Milton. If that kind of incompitence happens again I say absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    It will really depend on how they perform this year. But Steinbrenner has relaxed quite a bit over the last few years and has more implicit trust in Torre (and Cashman for that matter). Plus, Georgie's getting old and doesn't have quite as much vitriol as he used to. He spoke a bit last year of how he'll be slowly starting to turn the team over to his son-in-law.

It's my opinion -- and this would have been unthinkable a few years ago -- that if Torre leaves, it will be of his own accord. It's still a lot of pressure to manage there, job security or not, and he may want to enjoy his life at some point. If Torre leaves, then I do think Piniella is a strong possibility, Steinbrenner adores him, but I don't know that Torre is on his way out within the next year or two.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Retired

We've been hearing for the last 3 years that Torre is going to get fired, and he's still there. I see Joe finishing his contract in NY.

That said, if Torre is out in NY it won't be a bidding war, Lou will sign with the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    We've been hearing for the last 3 years that Torre is going to get fired, and he's still there. I see Joe finishing his contract in NY.

That said, if Torre is out in NY it won't be a bidding war, Lou will sign with the Yankees.
    Yeah. Every year we hear that Torre is on his way out and every year he comes back.

The Yankees have a better chance to win every year than we do. It's only natural that he would want to manage there if everything was equal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I don't if Lou would want to coach in NY. If he has stated he would like to, please correct me but would he really want to take on all the baggage that comes with NY? Big Stein, overpaid player egos, not to mention all the pressure that comes from managing in the city itself? The mystique? I don't know but Lou has had a great deal of success in Cincy, the fans love him here, Hal Mccoy wants to have his baby, and Castellini seems to want to bring back what was once good about the Reds of yesteryear. I for one would love to see a few bases thrown around Great American. I can't remember the last time I saw a Reds manager get fired up for his team.

Lou wants to win above all, the and yanks have a better chance then we do, we are years away from winning a series.
    Go Gators!

Maybe Torre would consider Cincinnati... he does have family ties here.

Or wouldn't the Reds want him?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Lou wants to win above all, the and yanks have a better chance then we do, we are years away from winning a series.
    After too many years in TB, how could one blame him? But I think Sweet Lou would want more control over those winning ways. Seems to me that place would resemble Cincy over NY. I mean wasn't control one of the big problems at TB and when he was with us in the 90's?

OK Lou Pinella was a huge success for the REDS when he was here but shouldn't the REDS be looking forward to new glory years rather than looking back at the past to the old ones.

I'm sure there are more options for the REDS manager's job than Mr. Pinella.

Turn Off Ads?