Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Erubiel Durazo

Erubiel Durazo

What's his deal???? He had a really good season 2 years ago and has shown potential in the past. Had a bad year last year and then struck FA. Is he hurt still or something? I wouldn't mind the Reds going after him (he would be better than Hatteburg) and I wouldn't mind if he and Hatteburg platooned if we traded an OF for decent pitching. He would be good insurance and easy to flip for good prospects if he performs (and not to mention cheap).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Erubiel Durazo

He's just been signed. Team escapes me at the moment, but it's an AL club.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm 99% sure he signed a minor league deal with Texas. That and you don't want Durazo seeing any time in field...

I thought it was Arizona..
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Even if he hadn't been signed, no chance. He hits lefty, same at Hatteberg, and is beyond brutal with a glove as RedsManRick said. He's strictly DH material.
    Not all who wander are lost

Only if we move to the AL
    Go Gators!

It was a minor league deal with the Rangers.
    He would be good insurance and easy to flip for good prospects if he performs (and not to mention cheap).
    He is 32 years old. There goes the idea of 'flipping him for good prospects if he did well.' This is a guy DanO would have started at 1B had he dropped off a couple years ago. But I could have seen him on the bench here, he had surgery last year so he has a chance to resurge.

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- First baseman Erubiel Durazo agreed Tuesday to a minor league contract with the Texas Rangers.

The 32-year-old, who would get a $500,000 deal if added to the 40-man roster, had ligament replacement surgery in his left elbow last July, after hitting .237 with four home runs and 16 RBIss in 41 games for Oakland. He didn't play after May 25 because of elbow problems and went on the disabled list for the seventh time in his career.

He joined the Rangers for their first full-squad workout Tuesday and took batting practice. He was to meet with manager Buck Showalter to discuss his role.

In 2004, Durazo was fifth in the AL with a .321 batting average while setting career highs with 164 hits, 36 doubles, 22 home runs and 88 RBIss.

Over parts of seven major league seasons with Arizona (1999-2002) and the Athletics (2003-05), Durazo has a .281 average with 94 home runs and 330 RBIss in 624 games. Showalter was in Arizona for Durazo's first two seasons, then the Diamondbacks won the World Series in 2001.

Durazo has a .338 average (27-for-80) with three homers and 13 RBIss in 21 career games in Arlington.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 02-26-2006 at 08:32 PM.

That is true about his fielding. He wouldn't get the AB's he deserves pinch hitting and maybe occasionally DHing in interleague play and occasionally playing 1B. I could see him doing really well in Texas though; great fit for him if he gets some AB's.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

There were a lot of rumors that he did steroids back in the day. If true, that might explain the drop off.

On the other hand I've heard that his father is huge just like him, and he got that big from working on his dad's ranch in Mexico.

Believe who whoever you want.

I think that he and Phil Nevin would make a great platoon in a video game, but in real life (on the Rangers), it might get ugly if they have to share playing time.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Turn Off Ads?