Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ouch! Ironton Tribune Question for Reds GM (2/25)

Ouch! Ironton Tribune Question for Reds GM (2/25)

Kinda nasty!

Saturday, February 25, 2006 8:36 PM CST
    Reds GM to field fans’ questions
    Jim Walker / sports editor of The Ironton Tribune.

Spring training has begun. Exhibition games are right on its heels. The major league baseball season is right around third base.

With the dawn of a new season comes new hope for each fan. But with that new hope also comes some questions, and at this time of the year there are a lot of questions.

Maybe new Cincinnati Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky can offer some answers.

And Krivsky is going to answer YOUR questions, not some reporter’s. Whether it’s a good move for him or not, Krivsky is going to take a chance and speak directly with the fans.

Sort of.

Krivsky, hired Feb. 8 by new owner Bob Castellini to replace Dan “I accomplished very little” O’Brien, will chat online with fans for a half-hour Monday beginning at 11:30 a.m.

To participate, fans must register in advance by going online at reds.com or MLB.com

The Reds plan to open a chat line each Monday during the spring with a different member of the team participating.

Krivsky can expect questions about Ken Griffey Jr.’s health and his participation in the World Baseball Classic, how good is the Reds pitching and is there any way to improve the staff, are there any trades in the works, why did you trade Sean Casey and how soon do you think it will be before the Reds REALLY expect to contend for a championship.

I have a few questions, as you might expect.

Why was Don Gullett fired as pitching coach? He’s considered one of the best in the business. It’s not like his replacement Vern Ruhle worked any miracles.

Adam Dunn can hit, but can he provide the defense that Casey did?

How long will it be before we get rid of the color of black in the uniforms and become the Reds again instead of Pittsburgh West?

Will Mr. Red and Mr. Met finally meet in a battle to decide who is the most bland mascot?

Has Gapper been replaced, his hours cut back or discovered that the Philly Fanatic is really his long-lost brother and they were separated at the costume factory?

Will Wily Mo Pena be required to wear his batting helmet in the outfield for his own protection?

Will Ryan Freel be allowed to drive the team bus? And if so, will it be only before the game and never after any postgame celebrations?

Is Austin Kearns only allowed to patronize Subway if he has to eat fast food?

Has Eric Milton learned that he should only throw batting practice before the game, not during?

And finally, will the Reds allow me to ask any more questions?

Jim Walker is sports editor of The Ironton Tribune.

http://www.irontontribune.com/articl.../sports289.txt
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Ouch! Ironton Tribune Question for Reds GM (2/25)

There is a reason this guy is the sports editor for a 7,000 circulation paper instead of somewhere else

Someone should tell this guy that Krivsky didn't trade Casey.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

...and, of course, he wasn't the guy who fired Don Gullett either.

As stated, there is a reason he works in a town I've never heard of instead of Cincinnati.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Ironton is tiny. Thus, the newspaper is tiny -- it's not even a blip on the local news media map. Look at this piece as something written by crotchety sports editor with an equally tiny ax to grind.

Casey was an average 1bman at best, and Dunn is athletic. I think he will field above average once he catches on to the position.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

The Reds are full of targets concerning why they are bad, the fact that "sports editor" Jim Walker missed so many of them in his attempt to prove the obvious is a sad statement about the quality of sports coverage at least 7,000 people are getting in between Hanging Rock and Coal Grove Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The Reds are full of targets concerning why they are bad, the fact that "sports editor" Jim Walker missed so many of them in his attempt to prove the obvious is a sad statement about the quality of sports coverage at least 7,000 people are getting in between Hanging Rock and Coal Grove Ohio.

That and the Reds have to compete with Ironton high school football. Who, unlike the Reds of the last few years, win.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I'm sure he got a few toothless grins out of them
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I didn't think this was mean-spirited, as much as it was a failed attempt to be funny.

Still, not very funny and not very substantive.
    Stick to your guns.

Haunted by walks

I'm always surprised by how many RedsZoners are from places I lived when I was growing up that nobody (hardly anybody) else has ever heard of. I think about it whenever there's talk that the ownership has to be from Cincinnati. I'd tell them "Cincinnati? I'm from parts of Reds Country you've never heard of..." Besides, little places like this produced Branch Rickey.

Reds Country IS thousands of these little towns as much as Downtown Cincy. Regardless of the quality of the writing, it does show what the prevailing thought about the Reds is in most of the area.

Hopefully, the new ownership and GM will be able to more accurately show the effort they are putting out to improve the product.
    Let's play two!!!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

A think he was trying to be funny as well...and well, I laughed a little. A little.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    A think he was trying to be funny as well...and well, I laughed a little. A little.
    It's funnier when there's actually a shred of truth in your statements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?