Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Short Encouraging Conversation with Hudson

Short Encouraging Conversation with Hudson

I went to Sarasota today to watch Reds. Not much was happening because of the rain. Fields had standing water. But I did have a short conversation with Luke Hudson.

Luke and I had talked a few times during 2004 when he played for Chattanooga. We had talked about his arm strength and then one time he was in stands charting pitches with Kelley and we talked a bit longer.

I then saw him in Atlanta in Sep when he pitched a great game against Braves, and said Hi. I never saw him in 2005. So it's not like we have a huge history.

So when I saw him today after he threw, I wasn't even sure he would know who I was. But he did recognize me. You ever know someone (maybe yourself) who knew a secret and was just dying to tell someone? That's the way Luke was today.

I said "How you doing" and he said "I'm finally healthy, my arm feels great". He said he was hurt all last year and couldn't put anything on the ball. That's why he would pitch decent and then blow up. He said when he hurt his arm in Spring Training during the first game, it felt just like it was before he had the surgery. But he said his arm is fantastic now.

We talked about the disapointment about being dropped fro 40 man roster. He said he understood, because by the time he got sent to Az Fall League, he had nothing left, and scouts that saw him there knew it.

Luke is a great guy and if he was back in 2004 form that would be tremendous for the Reds. I also know that since he is off the 40 man roster and out of options, he'll start at AAA unless he just absolutely blows everyone away this spring.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Short Encouraging Conversation with Hudson

What is the deal with hiding injuries!!!!! Do pitchers not realize that they are hurting themselves, team, and future! You can't even say they are being selfish. Selfish would be them turning it in early for some reason, but staying out there while they are hurt is no good. Especially if they are pitching terrible. Wags, Wilson, Hudson, Milton probably with his knee and other issues. This is just ridiculous. It is so frustrating to hear this type of stuff.

Jax, I'm not aiming any of that towards you, I appreciate the info.

If it was hurt last year how do we know it's not hurt now?

Hmmm
    Go Gators!

All pitching comments aside, I have to concur about Luke's good-guy quality. I have had several run-ins with him over the last two years while I have been with my young son. Not only has Hudson always taken the time for pictures, autographs, etc..but he also likes to have conversations about baseball with youngsters. Every time, he made my boy feel 10 feet tall.

As a result, he has become one of my son's favorite Reds pitchers. All this makes it a little dicey when your seven year old kid want you to explain to him why Hudson's now not on the rossiter....
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

It sure looked like he hurt last year. He rarely poured it in over 92 mph. Let's see if he can stay healthy. Time's running out

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed
    Luke is a great guy and if he was back in 2004 form that would be tremendous for the Reds. I also know that since he is off the 40 man roster and out of options, he'll start at AAA unless he just absolutely blows everyone away this spring.
    I'm not sure Luke has a "form" he can return to. Seeing as how his 2004 consisted of 9 games and 48 innings, hardly a representative sample. I don't know whether Luke has great stuff or not, because we've hardly seen much of him. He could be a pleasant surprise if he continues down the path he started on in 2004, but with an injury history and no track record of continued success, the odds are stacked against him.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?