Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kenny Williams rips Frank Thomas a new one

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Kenny Williams rips Frank Thomas a new one

How in the World did this group win a World Series? Even if everything he says about Thomas is true, Williams is just making himself look like a scrub. He's a GM, not a talk radio shock jock.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2345972

I guess pitching talent trumps the shortcomings of leadership.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kenny Williams rips Frank Thomas a new one

Manager Ozzie Guillen, a former teammate of Thomas', didn't want to get involved.

"I won't put my nose in something above me," Guillen said. "He never mentioned my name and if you don't mention my name, I try to stay away from every part of the conversation."
    Hahahahahaha, that's rich coming from Ozzie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Classy.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Kenny Williams, terrible GM that got lucky. my 2 cents.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Kenny Williams, terrible GM that got lucky. my 2 cents.
    2 cents well spent, IMO.

Although, in fairness, if the A's ever win a world series, the anti-Moneyball crowd will probably say that Billy Beane got lucky.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Training received at the Leatherpants Academy
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

"We don't miss his attitude. We don't miss the whining. We don't miss it. Good riddance. See you later," he said.
    This is the Frank Thomas that I have seen and heard over the last few years. Complaining, griping, whining, etc. It never bothers me when a GM tells it like it is. I don't care how great of a player the man was in the past for a team. That does not give him the right to complain like an immature tennager about that team. Esp. when his health has been on the downward swing for a few years (reminds me of Sammy Sosa).

Ken Williams did not start this battle of words, Frank Thomas did. Did Ken Williams handle it in the "proper-GM" fashion? Probably not. But has Frank Thomas handled the situation like a man? Definitely not.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I side with big Frank. Easy to trash the guy now that he's out of his prime. Kenny Williams shows little respect IMO.

I just saw the clip on ESPN. Now, I don't care if Williams is "right" or "wrong", I just enjoyed the spectical of it.

I LOVE watching sports guys bust a nutty.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    2 cents well spent, IMO.

Although, in fairness, if the A's ever win a world series, the anti-Moneyball crowd will probably say that Billy Beane got lucky.
    at least Beane has guided the A's to a boatload of winning records and numerous playoff appearances. In the playoffs the luck of being hot at the right time is a big factor when there isn't a dominant team(which was the Yanks in the late 90s early 00s).

Williams hasn't seen many winning records or playoff appearances(I'm too lazy to go count), he just had a season where the stars aligned for his club(hot team and healthy pitching), a lot like the 90 Reds.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Ya I agree. The 2005 white sox were special in the fact they got hot at the right time and about 5 other teams that were better in my opinion slumped at the right time for them to win, (Including the Indians who I think were better than them last year but just faded in the last week of the season).

They are lucky that the Cardinals and Stros both slumped in October or the Championship would have been one of those teams.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Big Frank has always been a first class weiner so I got a kick out of it. However, I think Williams was probably best served by ignoring it.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I guess pitching talent trumps the shortcomings of leadership.
    Leadership is overrated, just like "team chemistry."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I am glad that Williams ripped Frank, he has done nothing but whine and complain since 2000. First he wasn't getting paid enough then the injury bug took hold. I still recall David Wells calling him out in '01/'02?? about being a wuss then they find out he tore a bunch of ligaments in his arm. He has done nothing but whine since he left and really is burning bridges with the few fans he has left. Maybe he and Sammy can one day sit down together and talk about how Chicago has disrespected him. But I say call a spade a spade and a basket case a basket case.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    I am glad that Williams ripped Frank, he has done nothing but whine and complain since 2000
    I don't think anyone is defending Thomas or his comments. It makes the GM look small to get into a verbal battle with a player after the player is gone. Guess what Ken, you won, Frank is gone and you're still there. It would have been a better move to take the high road and just ignore Thomas.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?