Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WLW to simulcast on XM

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

WLW to simulcast on XM

From Sunday's Enquirer

WLW lineup joins XM Satellite network

The "Big One" is getting bigger. WLW-AM (700), the 50,000-watt "nation's station," truly will be nationwide on Wednesday.

Mike McConnell, Gary Burbank, Bill Cunningham, Jim Scott and most of Cincinnati's top-rated news-talk-sports station will be added to the XM Satellite Radio lineup as Channel 173.

Only the Reds and Bengals games won't be on the channel. XM has a separate deal for Major League Baseball, while Sirius Satellite owns NFL rights.

WLW-AM called itself the "nation's station" when it was the only U.S. station to broadcast experimentally on 500,000 watts from 1934 to 1939. "Everything has come full circle," says Darryl Parks, WLW operations director.
    Although I do miss being able to hear Willie up here in Toledo, I'm not certain that I'm a fan of this move. Part of what makes WLW so much of a guilty pleasure is the fact that it's just this local media circus -- calling up city hall and putting the mayor on live, all the local-yokel callers, dedicating entire segments to hating on Nancy Zimpher, etc. I think the personalities would lose all of their charm if they were forced to open up to a national audiance.

Further, I don't see what XM gets from all of this -- even though WLW has an almost obscene broadcast radius at night, I was always under the impression that pretty much the only people that listen to the station are people in Cincinnati or people from Cincinnati and living elsewhere. It seems like XM is wasting it's already tight bandwidth on a channel that really brings nothing to the table.

For those with XM, 173 is being listed as "Off Air" as oppsoed to the usual display when a channel is not in use.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: WLW to simulcast on XM

Jim Scott
    Proof positive that people do not need talent to get into radio. Here's a segment of Jim Scott's show:

"My son and I had donuts this weekend and speaking of donuts, have you tried Busken Bakery's new french twists? They're loaded with with vanilla cream and speaking of cream- have you tried Barbasol's new menthol shaving cream? I like shaving, my son, who goes to school in Northern Kentucky just started shaving. And speaking of Northen Kentucky, have you been to Florence Mall since they renovated it? My friend just opened up his new renovation business, and on their breaks they love to chow down on some delicious LaRosa's pizza. Now let's talk with Pete Gimmer who has some breaking news for us..."

It's like a continous infomercial in the mornings.....he is the king of mixing the live spot with reality.

Listening to WLW is like watching David Letterman between 12:20 and 12:35- you sit through a ton of commercials to get little back on your investment.

W - commercial- L- commercial- W commercial. That's what it feels like.

It would hurt me to pay a monthly fee to XM radio and then have to sit there through all the Buddy's Carpet Barn and LaRosa's pizza spots (that's probably not what happens, but what will they fill all that commercial space with?).
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-27-2006 at 10:51 AM.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Proof positive that people do not need talent to get into radio. Here's a segment of Jim Scott's show:

"My son and I had donuts this weekend and speaking of donuts, have you tried Busken Bakery's new french twists? They're loaded with with vanilla cream and speaking of cream- have you tried Barbasol's new menthol shaving cream? I like shaving, my son, who goes to school in Northern kentucky just started shaving. And speaking of Northen Kentucky, have you been to Florence Mall sonce they renovated it? My friend just opened up his new renovation business, and on their breaks they love to chow down on some delicious LaRosa's pizza."

It's like a continous infomercial in the mornings.....he is the king of mixing the live spot with reality.

Listening to WLW is like watching David Letterman between 12:20 and 12:35- you sit through a ton of commercials to get little back on your investment.

It would hurt me to pay a monthly fee to XM radio and then have to sit there through all the Buddy's Carpet Barn and LaRosa's pizza spots.
    Dom, Dom, Dom....you forgot Grippo's Potato Chips.

You really need to get Ch. 173 on the XM radio....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

WLW at 173, MLB at 175. I assume they will be blacking out the games and not the sports talk? It will be nice to have Reds/Bengals sports talk when I need it. It will also be easy to change the channel when Furman says something stupid.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Dom, Dom, Dom....you forgot Grippo's Potato Chips.
    My rendition is pretty dated, I know. Back in the late 80's, my high school friends and I used to talk Jim Scott-speak to each other every day. It got pretty hilarious. You just had to practice relating non-related events to one another. It was so funny we used to cry.

How could I forget Grippo's? I can hear him now....

"Hey, did you catch the Bengals game this weekend? Some Grippo's potato chips would have made it even better, huh? You know my son plays football for Covington Catholic, which is putting on a production of Sleeping Beauty this weekend and how will the weather be for those who want to go see it? Pat Barry, will be here to tell us in a few minutes...."
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-27-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner

"My son and I had donuts this weekend and speaking of donuts, have you tried Busken Bakery's new french twists? They're loaded with with vanilla cream and speaking of cream- have you tried Barbasol's new menthol shaving cream? I like shaving, my son, who goes to school in Northern Kentucky just started shaving. And speaking of Northen Kentucky, have you been to Florence Mall since they renovated it? My friend just opened up his new renovation business, and on their breaks they love to chow down on some delicious LaRosa's pizza. Now let's talk with Pete Gimmer who has some breaking news for us..."

It would hurt me to pay a monthly fee to XM radio and then have to sit there through all the Buddy's Carpet Barn and LaRosa's pizza spots (that's probably not what happens, but what will they fill all that commercial space with?).
    Oh don't worry. They'll be filling all of that extra commercial space with "Technology Minute with Dave Graveline" and we'll get to hear commercials for all of the programming highlights from other XM stations.

If WLW's going to XM they'll just have to change the name of the channel to The Commercial Channel.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

For those of us with XM who don't live in Cincy, this is a great development. Finally I can listen to idiot hosts rant about the Reds instead of the Cubs and Sox.

I, personally, like it. XM is full of channels I never listen to, so why not put up a channel I'll listen to at least once in a while. I also saw this comming, not 700 per se, but Clear channel signing with one of the two major sat. radio companies. Soon you'll be able to get local channels via XM or Sirius etc, it's only evolution. WEBN, 1360, 700 all of them will be on sooner or later and the dial will just get bigger and bigger.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I wonder if they will call themselves "The Nation's Station" again?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It *probably* won't change their programming. WSM-650 in Nashville (the station carrying the Grand Ole Opry) has been on Sirius for awhile now and it hasn't changed their sound much, if at all.
    Not all who wander are lost

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    For those of us with XM who don't live in Cincy, this is a great development. Finally I can listen to idiot hosts rant about the Reds instead of the Cubs and Sox.
    I'm not certain, but I imagine that the programming of WLW will be forced to take on a much more "national" tone in the coming weeks/months and away from the heavy Reds/Bengals/Bearcats/Muskies talk that you get now on shows like "Sports Talk." I expect that the majority of the local sports chatter will shift to 1360, negating any potential benefit this deal might have to displaced Cincinnatians.

I have to believe XM wouldn't waste it's valuable bandwidth on a channel that caters exclusively to the Cincinnati market, so some provision of this deal must include that WLW begin programming for a national audiance. This means, likely, you'll see Cunningham's show take more of a regional/national tone in it's political discussions (which, in my opinion, will really limit how amusing he can be) and probably vast changes in other shows/personalities as well.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    WLW at 173, MLB at 175. I assume they will be blacking out the games and not the sports talk? It will be nice to have Reds/Bengals sports talk when I need it. It will also be easy to change the channel when Furman says something stupid.
    Sports Talk will air on XM...only the Reds and Bengals games won't (except on their resepcted channels).

Our pregame and postgame material should be allowed to air as well

Doesn't the Trucker show have it's own station on XM already?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Doesn't the Trucker show have it's own station on XM already?

Yes...I guess we're competing with ourselves

Will they carry the "Hot Stove League" show in the off season? I sure hope so.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?