Thread: Coffey: Future closer?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coffey: Future closer?

only if he acquires an "out pitch".
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Soto teaches Coffey his change
    By Hal McCoy - Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, FLA . | The Mario Soto and Tom Browning dividends continue to accrue. Bringing in the former Reds pitchers is paying dividends.

Just two days ago, former Reds pitcher Mario Soto stood in front of Todd Coffey's locker displaying the grip on his circle change-up.

When Soto pitched, he used only a fastball and a changeup and said fellow former pitcher Tom Browning, "They couldn't hit Mario if they knew what was coming."

Coffey, one of several closer candidates, began trying Soto's change-up that day.

"It is working good," said Coffey. "I threw it (Sunday) as hard as I can and it floated up there and dripped right day. I've only thrown it a couple off days and it feels good already."

Soto has coached only the last two years in the Dominican since his retirement from the Reds, "But I've been very impressed and Mario has a chance to be a very good major-league pitching coach," said Reds manager Jerry Narron.

If the Reds let Coffey throw some heat again, combine that with the changeup and he could be some special.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I think so.. he's working on a splitter as well as working with Soto on a Circle Change. He stills has quite a future.. I think next season he will have the closer spot to himself.

Turn Off Ads?