Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Son Clemens takes dad Clemens deep

Son Clemens takes dad Clemens deep

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2346877

Per Espn.com

Roger Clemens' first pitch of his simulated game against Houston Astros minor-leaguers went over the left-field fence. Next time that batter was up, he got buzzed high and tight. Who was in the box against Rocket? His son Koby.

Roger Clemens threw 66 pitches Monday afternoon, followed by 18 more batting practice pitches.

The 43-year-old Clemens wants to pitch in the World Baseball Classic and then decide if he'll retire or play a 23rd season, said Koby Clemens, a third baseman in the Astros' farm system.

I don't think it means anything in the long run, but it is pretty funny. Wonder what kind of career the Koby will have. Those are some big shoes to fill. Luckily he's not a pitcher.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 02-27-2006 at 03:53 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Son Clements takes dad Clements deep

Wonder if it was grooved intentionally.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Just what I was thinking, make the kid look good.
    Go Gators!

I thought only Chan Ho Park did that when pitching to Cal Ripken in his last All-Star Game.

That's what I wonder. Heck I used to throw my son lollipops playing wiffle ball in the front yard. He jacked one over our 3 story house and our neighbor's house - I'm thinking he was seven or eight. You always groove them for your kid.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Son Clemens takes dad Clemens deep

Well you also have to think, Koby probably knows all of his dads pitches, I mean Roger has been throwing to him since he was 4. Granted he probably didnt bust out anything serious until he was at the high school level probably, but he probably knnows his dads stuff pretty well.

There's more to this story. Bizarre guy, this Rocket...

<b>Clemens brushes back son after giving up HR
    43-year-old pitches to Astros minor-leaguers, still hasn't said if he'll return</b>

The Associated Press
    Updated: 5:23 p.m. ET Feb. 27, 2006

KISSIMMEE, Fla. - Roger Clemens’ son took dad deep on the Rocket’s first pitch of spring training, crushing a trademark fastball over the left-field fence Monday.

“That was probably one of the harder fastballs I cut loose,” Roger Clemens said after throwing to Koby and other Houston Astros minor-leaguers. “He got my attention.”

Then the Rocket got Koby’s. The next time his oldest son came to the plate, Roger buzzed him high and tight with another fastball. The younger Clemens dodged the pitch, then smiled at his father.

“He was like, ‘Sorry about that pitch inside. I was trying to change the view of the ball for you a little bit,’” said Koby, a third baseman who was drafted by Houston last summer. “I said, ‘I knew what you were doing.’ ”

Clemens, 43, got applause from about 100 fans as he walked to the mound behind the Astros’ minor-league complex. He threw 18 pitches from behind a screen before his 19-year-old son’s homer on his first pitch after the screen was moved away.

“I’m getting old,” Clemens said. “It happens.”

Clemens threw a total of 66 pitches to Astros’ minor-leaguers in preparation for the World Baseball Classic, then said he’s no closer to deciding his future beyond the event. Baseball officials approved the appearance.

Clemens led the major leagues with a 1.87 ERA last season and became a free agent when the NL champions didn’t offer him salary arbitration. He has said he’ll decide after the tournament whether he’ll play a 23rd season.

“If you asked me today, I’m doing the world baseball deal and (then) I’m going to go watch baseball,” Clemens said.

But asked if he was retiring, Clemens shied away.

“I’m not even going to mention that word,” Clemens said. “I’ve been trying to do that for a couple of years now and it’s not working.”

Clemens can’t re-sign with the Astros until May 1. But he could sign with another team before that and Boston, the New York Yankees and Texas have told Clemens they’re interested.

Clemens said he might put off a decision until midsummer.

“I don’t know what will happen down the road,” he said. “I might be sitting around in May, June, July and all of a sudden, I’m looking at three or four teams that came down to talk to me already and gave me their pitch.”

Koby Clemens said his dad was ready to retire in December, but his family talked him out of it.

“We were all like, ‘You should wait and allow yourself to rest your body,’ ” Koby said. “He was still kind of hurting, kind of tired. He was like, ‘I don’t want to do this again.’ ”

Many of the Astros expect Clemens to play for them again this season. Manager Phil Garner said Sunday he hasn’t asked Clemens about what he’ll do, but thought the Astros offered the best situation — a shortened season close to his family and his home.

“He knows how much we would like to have him back,” Garner said. “I think this is the perfect spot for him.”

&#169; 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

&#169; 2006 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11579036/from/RS.4/

"Now the student is the master."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Got to love the fact that he buzzed his own kid. That's pure Rocket.

Turn Off Ads?