Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds bow out of Astacio sweepstakes..

Reds bow out of Astacio sweepstakes..

Hmm..I would think we won the sweepstakes not signing this guy...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...302280002/1071
    Last edited by Simms11; 02-27-2006 at 07:36 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Reds bow out of Astacio sweepstakes..

me sentiments exactly we dont' need anymore old vets who give um up like its' give away day at the stadium

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

The best move Wayne Krivsky can not make.

Thank the Baseball Gods.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

and there was much rejoicing
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

OB would have given him 3 years.

I'm loving Wayne's World!
    The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!

good
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I take it that 3.17 e.r.a. he put up in death valley after he joined the Pads didn't impress y'all?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    I take it that 3.17 e.r.a. he put up in death valley after he joined the Pads didn't impress y'all?
    Nope, that ERA in Texas would be closer to what we got.
    Go Gators!

Rotoworld says Astacio signed a one year deal with the Nationals. Jimbo strikes again!
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

I bet he does well in that park and people will be mad at Krivo, but mark my words..he would have been Miltoniszed at GAB.
    Go Gators!

The deal is $700,000 plus $500,000 if he makes the club out of ST.

According to Marc's blog there was another team in the race which jacked up the price above what the REDS were prepared to go - whatever that was.

02-28-2006
    Krivsky: Astacio price too high
    Pitcher signs with Nationals
    By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

SARASOTA, Fla. - The Reds' search for starting pitching depth is ongoing, but Pedro Astacio will not be part of the equation.

General manager Wayne Krivsky said Monday that the Reds had pulled out of the running for the right-hander after the bidding price rose too high. Later Monday afternoon, the Washington Nationals announced they had signed Astacio to an incentive-laden major league contract.

"We've been talking to his agent for a long time, we've been in negotiations, and there just comes a point where the market went up for him to a point we weren't prepared to go," said Krivsky. "He had a better offer out there that had at least an equal opportunity, so we'll stay where we are right now."

Previous reports had the Nationals offering Astacio only a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. The Washington Post reported Monday that Nationals GM Jim Bowden had declared his team's talks with Astacio "dead" and that Washington was "turning the page."

The Nationals' stance likely was altered when they learned that projected starter Brian Lawrence had torn his labrum and rotator cuff, sidelining him for the season.

Krivsky would not disclose what the Reds offered Astacio. The player's agent, Steve Schneider, has not returned multiple phone messages left in the last week.

In courting Astacio, the Reds were looking to backstop themselves against the possibility that Paul Wilson might not be fully recovered from shoulder surgery when the season begins. Barring a trade that nets another starter, left-hander Michael Gosling and right-hander Justin Germano appear to have the opening track for the fifth spot in the rotation, if needed.

Not that Krivsky will halt his search.

"We're still looking for pitching, that won't stop," he said. "But that's normal - there are 30 teams looking out there looking for pitching, and we just happen to be one of them."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....602280332/1027
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

That deal could work out well for the Nats. Provided Astacio is healthy, he could slip into one of the vacant slots in the Nats rotation and pitch quite effectively in RFK. The Reds signing him would have been a mistake. The Nats signing him makes sense.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?