Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Commonly misused words and phrases

Commonly misused words and phrases

Maldonado and a couple others on the cliche thread brought up some phrases that are commonly misused. For example: "I could care less," should be, "I couldn't care less.

I thought that these were worthy of their own thread. Here are some of the ones that "get under my skin" (cliche)

Should of ---- It's should have

People always misspell the word collectibles. I see signs in front of stores all the time that read: collectables.

I have a friend who says "That's power for the course." Drives me crazy. It should be par for the course (as in golf).

I had a boss who used to say, "It doesn't take a brain scientist." Yeah boss, and obviously you're not one.

One of my favorites from 'Friends'...Joey: Supposably.

I'd just assume. People say that all the time. It's I'd just as soon.

Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Wet my appetite. Should be whet.

How 'bout one from the department of redundency department...
    at this point in time ... at this point or at this time is sufficient

literally: does not mean very; means according to the literal meaning of words, not the figurative; if someone is literally a jackass then he has actually taken the form of donkey

I know I've opened myself up for scrutiny with this post. I expect one or more of you to point out all my grammatical errors and misspellings. But, oh well, that's power for the course.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Commonly misused words and phrases

Nonplussed.

The above word does not mean "unfazed" or "unmoved by." The word means "confused" or "confounded."

Here it is used properly:

I was nonplussed by the jury's decision to acquit him, particularly when three eyewitnesses testified to seeing him with a gun in his hand at the scene of the crime.

Incorrect usage:

He was nonplussed by the low score on his test; he seldom cares about academic failure.

Incidences

NO SUCH THING as INCIDENCES (at least not in the way this word is misused).

The plural form of "incident" is "incidents." Incident is a count noun.

The word "incidence" means "frequency"

Correct usage:

The incidence of cancer in the U.S. rose sharply with the advent of mass production of cigarettes.

The two incidents of theft occurred years apart.

These two words are so brutally and commonly misused that I'm sure they'll be "accepted" usage in five years.

cite, site, sight--A reference is cited. A site is a place. Sight is vision

My dad says irregardless all the time. Drives me nuts.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

It hurts my brain when I have to read "there" when someone meant "their" or "they're"

Man Pills

"Enthuse" and "enthused" aren't words.

They're back-formations of the word "enthusiastic." "Enthusiastic" is an adjective only.

"Past history" (as opposed to what other kind of history?)

"I could care less" when you mean I could NOT care less

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    How 'bout one from the department of redundency department...
    at this point in time ... at this point or at this time is sufficient
    Or how about simply "now"

People who use "that" instead of "who".
    Or, to use it the way they do...People THAT use "that" instead of "who".

This one makes me crazy, too: "That peaked my interest".

And I once had an office manager who referred to the "physical year". I just felt too sorry for her to make the correction.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    People who use "that" instead of "who".
    Or, to use it the way they do...People THAT use "that" instead of "who".
    And a similar one that I probably use too often (or offen ) is using "who" or "whose" for non-people.

I think it came to may attention on a college football game when they had a stupid trivia question that began like "Who are the schools that..." and Keith Jackson pointed out that it should be something like "Which schools are the ones that..."

Or "The team whose manager...." though, admittedly saying something like "the team, the manager of which..." is rather awkward.

I guess that really doesn't bother me much, as it is pretty awkard to try to correct, but it does seem to be a misuse to me.

Drives me nuts when someone says "I could care less" That being the case I guess it is atleast somewhat important to you if you could care less.

I think you mean "I couldn't care less"

I had a law professor who used "irregardless" all the time....I wanted to shake him!
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

Also, people who use the word "basically" every other sentence. Sports figures are bad about this....I just want to say " It is OK, you can give me the complex version of the story I think I can comprehend it."
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    Also, people who use the word "basically" every other sentence. Sports figures are bad about this....I just want to say " It is OK, you can give me the complex version of the story I think I can comprehend it."
    That's like, a great point, and, uh, likesometing worth repeating. I hate it when people like use filler words like that, when they can't like think of anything to say.

i have lots of trouble with these:

to vs too
    who vs whom
    suppose to or supposed to??
    ask vs ax...just kidding

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder
    And a similar one that I probably use too often (or offen ) is using "who" or "whose" for non-people.

I think it came to may attention on a college football game when they had a stupid trivia question that began like "Who are the schools that..." and Keith Jackson pointed out that it should be something like "Which schools are the ones that..."

Or "The team whose manager...." though, admittedly saying something like "the team, the manager of which..." is rather awkward.

I guess that really doesn't bother me much, as it is pretty awkard to try to correct, but it does seem to be a misuse to me.
    It's usually acceptable usage to say "The team whose manager...."

Turn Off Ads?