Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Mailbag: Is O'Neill Hall worthy? (2/27)

Re: Reds Mailbag: Is O'Neill Hall worthy? (2/27)

Quote Originally Posted by pmurray48
    I see Paul at the gym almost everyday and he stays in great shape maybe he could teach a thing or two about strength and conditioning to a "certain few" current Reds.
    Tell Paul to come and announce for the Reds, Paul is very god announcer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    And he'll be doing Yankees games in perpetuity.

I think we sometimes forget that Paul O'Neill is a New York Yankee, one of the most beloved in the history of that franchise, who happened to start his career with the Reds.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    O'Neill will be enshrined in Monument Park and I'm guessing that's the accolade he most cares about.
    Yeah, that's the thing that I still have trouble grasping. He'll probably have a monument out there with the Babe, Gehrig, Dimaggio, etc.

A few years back, when he went to the plate in Yankee Stadium for the final time in a postseason game, the Yankee fans--demanding, difficult and accustomed to excellence--stood and chanted his name.

Not that he didn't deserve it--he was a very good player for the Yanks and got a handful of World Series rings--but it was and is hard to square that with the player he was with the Reds.

I think we sometimes forget that Paul O'Neill is a New York Yankee, one of the most beloved in the history of that franchise, who happened to start his career with the Reds.
    And you're forgetting that Paul O'Neil was born and raised in Columbus and still lives there... that still gives the Reds a chance of getting out of the TV hole they've dug for themselves.

A man can dream can't he?

Plus I don't see Kitty or Murcer leaving soon.

I don't know if I'd proclaim him a deity in the ranks of announcers WOY.

I've met Paul O'Neill a couple of times in the past. A great guy, and you'd never know he was a celebrity to talk to him. He'll get some hall of fame consideration just because he played so well for the Yankees (hello Phil Rizzutto). I expect he'll be in the Yankee HOF some day, and I think that he should be. If only the Reds had just let him play, think about what might have been...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

And you're forgetting that Paul O'Neil was born and raised in Columbus and still lives there... that still gives the Reds a chance of getting out of the TV hole they've dug for themselves.
    Actually, I believe he lives in Cincinnati.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I don't know if I'd proclaim him a deity in the ranks of announcers WOY
    Have you listened to him do Yankee games? Have you listened to the Reds announcers?

I never said he was deity, other than a typo but he's better than what they have now.

Actually, I think he lives in Montgomery. But what do we need Big for when we got Smilin' George Grande and the CrappyLefthanderChrisWelsh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

True enough. Plus Waite Hoyt announced Reds games. Though I can't imagine Steinbrenner would ever allow O'Neill to stray to another organization. The man is like a religious artifact for that franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj017
    Yeah, that's the thing that I still have trouble grasping. He'll probably have a monument out there with the Babe, Gehrig, Dimaggio, etc.

A few years back, when he went to the plate in Yankee Stadium for the final time in a postseason game, the Yankee fans--demanding, difficult and accustomed to excellence--stood and chanted his name.

Not that he didn't deserve it--he was a very good player for the Yanks and got a handful of World Series rings--but it was and is hard to square that with the player he was with the Reds.
    A big part of it was that no matter how much Yankees fans demanded of O'Neill, he always demanded more of himself. That's huge in that town. Yankees fans almost immediately recognized that the pressure of playing in New York was nothing compared to the pressure of being Paul O'Neill and they loved him for it. I've got a friend from New York who despises the Yankees and pretty much everyone who's ever work that team's jersey. Yet even he adored O'Neill because the guy was the quintessential New York ballplayer.

In Cincinnati, it didn't go over well when he kicked a baseball. The reponse in New York would be something like, "Kick it? He should have shot it." And New Yorkers never doubted that, if issued a handgun, Paul O'Neill would have shot a baseball or his bat or a water cooler or whatever other inanimate object on which he chose to vent his righteous anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Actually, I think he lives in Montgomery. But what do we need Big for when we got Smilin' George Grande and the CrappyLefthanderChrisWelsh?
    To me, Montgomery is Cincinnati.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

In Cincinnati, it didn't go over well when he kicked a baseball. The reponse in New York would be something like, "Kick it? He should have shot it." And New Yorkers never doubted that, if issued a handgun, Paul O'Neill would have shot a baseball or his bat or a water cooler or whatever other inanimate object on which he chose to vent his righteous anger.
    For me, the ball kicking incident kinda sums up O'Neill's career with the Reds. It's the main thing I think of when I remember him playing here. Well, that and his other fits of anger. I loved the Roberto Kelly trade the day it was made, and it didn't bother me one bit to see O'Neill go. The trade ended up being a bad one for the Reds and an excellent one for the Yankees, but O'Neill's name and the Hall Of Fame would never come up in the same conversation if he had been traded anywhere but to the Yankees. He was in the right place at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    He was in the right place at the right time.
    I'd expand it to he was the right man in the right place at the right time.

[QUOTE=Chip R]I think Paul O'Neill is HOF worthy. After all he hit those home runs for that kid on Seinfeld.

RRTF,good one Chip

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    To me, Montgomery is Cincinnati.
    Yeah, I know. I didn't see your post before I replied. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

In Cincinnati, it didn't go over well when he kicked a baseball. The reponse in New York would be something like, "Kick it? He should have shot it."
    I doubt that VERY highly. If he hadn't kicked that ball straight to the cutoff man it would have cost them the game. No way that goes over well ANYWHERE.

GL

Turn Off Ads?