Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds Mailbag: Is O'Neill Hall worthy? (2/27)

Re: Reds Mailbag: Is O'Neill Hall worthy? (2/27)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    To me, Montgomery is Cincinnati.
    To some everything in the 275 loop is Cincy.

Even those Indian Hill people
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I doubt that VERY highly. If he hadn't kicked that ball straight to the cutoff man it would have cost them the game. No way that goes over well ANYWHERE.

GL
    But Paul knew he was going to kick the ball to the cut off man. That was his strategy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Kill the Hill

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I think for the census bureau, Cincy extends even beyond the loop.

How many famous Cincninnatians actually live within the city limits?

Spirit of 1976

If there is anyone who deserves to be in the Hall for the intangibles it's O'Neil. Statistically he was a very good player, but rarely great. And unfortunately for O'Neil the Hall is about the numbers. In this case I wish it were different.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed

Only Indian Hill would want to be known so badly as a village that they are technically called "The City of the Village of Indian Hill". I spent the vast majority of my educational youth in that school system (K through 10) and I'm never amazed by a story that comes outta "The Hill". If you're ever in an arson mood, Carl Lindner's house is on Shawnee Run Road, 3 houses down on the right as you're heading down Shawnee Run Road towards Milford from the ballfields at the corner of Drake and Shawnee Run. It's a big white joint that sits back from the road a little bit with a nice white gate in front, usually with a dark colored car sitting as security. His driveway is the one right before the entrance to Camargo Country Club. Enjoy, and happy burning.

His driveway is the one right before the entrance to Camargo Country Club.
    Yep, he screwed their land rights when he moved in there, I always heard it was because they wouldn't let him in.

Oh... I went to Mariemont, we were a Village.

I don't think Paul's success in New York/relative lack thereof in Cincinnati had anything to do with the cities' reactions to his playing or anything like that. It was simply a matter of timing and of finding the right match. He was a better player in New York, period. And he was lucky to come along at a time when the Yankees were one of the greatest teams in baseball history, and he was a factor in that. He is the kind of player who lives up to high standards so that team happened to be good for him then; I doubt he would have had the same career personally with the Reds of the 1990s had Piniella held onto him. It doesn't mean he was bad in Cincinnati and it doesn't negate the ring he won there, but the Yankees were just the right team for him.

And he is a very good announcer.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Newb

If thrown helmets were home runs, this wouldn't even be a debate.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Yep, he screwed their land rights when he moved in there, I always heard it was because they wouldn't let him in.

At least Mariemont isn't the City of the Village of.... IMO, Mariemont, much better area, thanks to the Dilly Deli!

Anyway.... Lindner did screw Camargo royally when Camargo was going to buy land from "The City of the Village of Indian Hill" to expand their facilities. Lindner stepped in, still pissed that he was "new money" and Camargo being an "old money" club wouldn't let him join, and bought a yard width of land all the way around Camargo so they couldn't expand, b/c they'd cross his newly bought property. I'm not sure on the time period involved, but Lindner held the property for quite some time until Camargo offered to let him join in exchange for the land. He joined, but only after selling them the property, for a profit. That was the last I heard of the story. Just goes to show you what kind of man Carl Lindner really is and why he left a less than favorable mark in Reds history.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I love Mariemont; pretty little town that has quite a bit to offer.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I love Mariemont; pretty little town that has quite a bit to offer.
    It was a nice place to be a kid.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?