Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which school has the best NCAA coaching combo (football/basketball)?

Which school has the best NCAA coaching combo (football/basketball)?

I'll nominate the Buckeyes tandem of Tressel and Matta.

Tressel seems to have his team finish in the top 5 every year, he owns Michigan (4-1) and he's sellar in bowl games (4-1). Oh, and did I mention that he won a 1-A national championship.

Matta...the dude's a wizard. He can flat coach (21-4, 1st place in the Big Ten, #5 in the RPI...with a team that wasn't even ranked at the beginning of the year. Oh, and he can recruit, too! Matta should be the national coach of the year.

I really can't think of another tandem that measures up to this one. Your nominations, please...
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which school has the best NCAA coaching combo (football/basketball)?

I have to agree with you on this one. There are schools with better coaches in each sport, but very few that approach the overall level of Matta and Tressel. Florida is one that pops to mind with Billy Donovan and Urban Meyer.

Florida, Donovan-Meyer
    Oklahoma, Sampson-Stoops
    Texas, Brown-Barnes

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/matt-hayes/blog/

Top NCAA hardwood-gridiron combos
    Thursday, February 9, 2006, 9:01 p.m. ET

Since we're in the heart of the NCAA basketball season, here are my top 5 football/basketball programs:

1. Texas: Throw baseball in the mix, and the gulf between the rest widens. Mack Brown finally got his national title this fall; does Rick Barnes get his this spring?

2. Florida: Urban Meyer nearly underachieved before beating Florida State and Iowa to finish the season. Billy Donovan's group has overachieved all season and should get out of the first weekend of the NCAAs for the first time since 2000.

3. Ohio State: Once Thad Matta gets his players in Columbus (next year's recruiting class), this coaching duo could rocket to the top. Jim Tressel is proving to be a fantastic big-game coach.

4. Oklahoma: Bob Stoops, Kelvin Sampson. Two of the nation's best motivators, two of the best game day coaches. This duo dropped from the top spot over the last two years.

5. UCLA: I've been saying this from Day 1 (while every USC fan says I'm an idiot): Karl Dorrell is going to win the Pac-10 at UCLA -- sooner rather than later. Ben Howland still needs one more big recruiting class before the Bruins are a Final Four team.

Four on the rise

West Virginia: Are there two coaches doing more with less than Rich Rodriguez and John Beilein?

Arizona: Lute Olson can flat out coach and recruit. Mike Stoops is two years from his team competing for the Pac-10 title.

Georgia: Mark Richt has won two SEC titles in five years, and Dennis Felton is on the verge of finding a way to the NCAA tournament with a ragtag bunch.

Louisville: If Bob Petrino ever reaches the success of Rick Pitino, this duo finds a permanent spot in the top five.

Karl Dorrell?!?

He is one of the worst coaches I've seen. He had a lucky 10-2 season in 2005, other than that he has had average teams with decent talent.

I'll nominate Pete Carroll and Tim Floyd. Pete Carroll is the best coach in college football, and Tim Floyd has the Trojan basketball team sitting at 17-10(with wins over Arizona, North Carolina, UCLA, and Stanford) in his first year after inheriting a 12-17 team from last year. Oh, btw, USC returned only four scholarship players this year.

As much as I despise Tressell, I really like Matta. He will win multiple National Championships at OSU...

I think the Carroll-Floyd combination at USC is a good one but not as good as the Tressel-Matta combo.

BTW, why the dislike of Tressel?

Tressel is the man. Anyone that professes things that Tressel does is gonna be a target by others. People don't like someone that open and geniune. They tried to tear him down already, failed.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Though Alvarez just retired from coaching, Bo Ryan and Barry Alvarez were a very solid pair at Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Though Alvarez just retired from coaching, Bo Ryan and Barry Alvarez were a very solid pair at Wisconsin.
    Sorry. I can't stand Alvarez.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    BTW, why the dislike of Tressel?
    I hate his conservative coaching style, the rumor of Youngstown State being in trouble during his tenure there, and a couple other things he did. Remember the football player Sammy the Bull? The story he told on Tressell really turned me against him.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    I hate his conservative coaching style, the rumor of Youngstown State being in trouble during his tenure there, and a couple other things he did. Remember the football player Sammy the Bull? The story he told on Tressell really turned me against him.
    Maldanado?

The prima dona that ran foul of Fridgen at Maryland too and barely played if at all?

He was straight up sour grapes bro.

I'm pretty sure that the YSU stuff was pretty heavily investigated. Not saying you are wrong for having suspicions in that regard. I'm an OSU fan and his conservative style has frustrated me greatly. His record in big games is compelling for me though. As long as he doesn't keep 'conserving' his way into lesser big games he'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Rumors? Rumors? Oh...and a couple of other things...okay makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up. I can see why you wouldn't like the guy.

By the way...for his conservative coaching style, he has the same number of BCS championships as Pete Carroll. Must be working.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Rumors? Rumors? Oh...and a couple of other things...okay makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up. I can see why you wouldn't like the guy.

By the way...for his conservative coaching style, he has the same number of BCS championships as Pete Carroll. Must be working.
    The couple of other things was Sammy the Bull incident and and some of the YSU stuff. I had just read the story on Sammy, and heard the quotes from his family on Tressell. I didn't know that he got ran off from Maryland also. To tell you the truth, I don't how true the stuff about YSU is, but the rumors alone raise a red flag.

And that vest really turns me against the guy too.

Pete has two National Championships and three Heismans in his tenure. Tressel has accomplished some great things (he's a great coach too, as much I hate to admit it) but Pete has did more. IMO, Pete Carroll is the best college football coach in America.

To get back on topic I'll make my own list.

1. Texas
    2. Ohio State
    3. Oklahoma
    4. USC

Florida doesn't reach my top four until Florida wins a NC in either sport under one of the two. I'm still laughing at the guy in the article who included Karl Dorrell.

Carroll's record at USC: 54-10 Tressel's at OSU: 52-13

Carroll did not win the national championship in 2003. The BCS determines the national champs. Carroll has the same number of BCS titles as Tressel.

Carroll's bowl record at USC is 3-2. Tressel's OSU bowl record is 4-1.

And the vest...It's a fashion statement

Turn Off Ads?