Turn Off Ads?

Thread: No Vote for Pedro (Astacio)

No Vote for Pedro (Astacio)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2347785
    VIERA, Fla. -- One day after Brian Lawrence's shoulder surgery, the Washington Nationals addressed their dire starting pitching situation Monday by agreeing to terms with 35-year-old right-hander Pedro Astacio for a one-year contract.

However, the Nationals are taking no chances with Astacio. General manager Jim Bowden said the deal would not be completed -- and that he would not comment on it -- until Astacio undergoes an MRI on his right shoulder and right elbow Wednesday.

Astacio is 124-119 with a 4.61 ERA in 375 games, including 326 starts, over 14 seasons. He went 6-10 with a 4.19 ERA last season for Texas and San Diego.

Lawrence, acquired in an offseason trade with San Diego, complained of soreness after his first spring workout last week. An MRI revealed a labrum tear, and a torn rotator cuff was discovered during surgery Sunday morning. He is expected to miss most -- if not all -- of the season.

Clearly bothered by Lawrence's injury, manager Frank Robinson said Monday that all pitchers acquired by the team henceforth should be given more than a routine physical.

"I think you have to ... take an MRI on every pitcher that you acquire in a trade or free agency -- the elbows, knees and shoulders," Robinson said before the Astacio deal was announced. "That's the only way you're going to be able to look at the elbow and shoulder and knees, and get a pretty good idea of what's in there."

The Nationals have only two spots set in their starting rotation. Livan Hernandez and John Patterson are Nos. 1 and 2, while Tony Armas Jr., Ramon Ortiz, Jon Rauch, Ryan Drese and Billy Traber are among those battling for the final three spots.

While not commenting on the Astacio signing, Bowden released a statement denying reports that the Nationals were discussing a deal to acquire pitching from the Boston Red Sox.

"There is no truth that we are in trade discussions with Boston concerning Alfonso Soriano, Nick Johnson or Ryan Church," Bowden said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No Vote for Pedro (Astacio)

I have to say I wanted pedro, but I suppose that this happened for a reason, we can't build much around a 35 year old who's best season was 17-11, and hasn't really sniffed anything close to that since his first real full season in 1995 when he went 14-9 with the Dodgers. I doubt Bowden beat us out of much.

Sounds like Big Frank is upset with Jimbo not doing his job.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Sounds like Big Frank is upset with Jimbo not doing his job.
    Well, when you're investing millions of dollars into a pitcher, and counting on that pitcher to be an integral part of your rotation, it does make sense to do an MRI on the arm/shoulder to make sure that its up to snuff. JimBo's "it's too expensive" argument doesn't fly for me. If I were Robinson, I'd be PO'ed too.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Well, when you're investing millions of dollars into a pitcher, and counting on that pitcher to be an integral part of your rotation, it does make sense to do an MRI on the arm/shoulder to make sure that its up to snuff. JimBo's "it's too expensive" argument doesn't fly for me. If I were Robinson, I'd be PO'ed too.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...602280375/1071

I found this passage from the Enquirer this morning interesting.

"PHYSICALS: The Washington Nationals are scrambling to fill their rotation after Brian Lawrence, who they obtained in a deal with San Diego, had shoulder surgery.
    It's been speculated that Lawrence was hurt when the Nats got him. The Reds have safeguards against such things.

"When we obtain a pitcher, either as a free agent or through a trade, we automatically get an MRI on his shoulder and elbow, regardless of the injury history," trainer Mark Mann said. "We also get all their medical history. The signing is always contingent on a physical."

The Reds had agreed to a deal with left-hander Scott Sauerbeck before the 2004 season. But he failed the physical and ended up having surgery."

I guess that doesn't apply to veteran right handed pitchers who were already on the team though. :wilson:
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Or pitchers with a known problem with their knee :milton:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Guys..Wilson and Milton were proven winners..it's different
    Go Gators!

The Reds do elbows and shoulders, not knees, RL.

For example, Paul Wilson's shoulder was MRI'd and found to be shredded. Then we gave his a two-year deal. See? The system works.

But with Milton, how could you have possibly expected them to know to MRI his knee? He's a pitcher, after all. And the knee surgery had only been in the press for a year.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I'm wondering if PANTS will sign on with the Nationals for another few months after this?

Isn't his contract about up in DC?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

HAHA!!!

Just how bad is ESPN.com???

They say that Astacio had a 4.19 ERA. He had 4.69. That's probably an honest mistake, but wait!

That 4.19 probably came from the league era... Here-
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/astacpe01.shtml

Even their own writers probably don't use their site, LOL.

As far as Astacio.... he's not too bad I guess if you consider all the hitters parks he's played in (Houston, Colorado and Texas) so I guess he could do alright in Washington, maybe better than Lawrence who benefited from a pitchers park. Both are probably #4's at best... Maybe 5's. I use to consider Astacio a 3-4 for years but then he vanished off the radar screen. Lawrence used to be a #2 like maybe 2002-2003 but since then has become a 4 or so considering he now benefits from the park and is doing worse.
    Last edited by redsandrails; 02-28-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Turn Off Ads?