Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you take a flyer on Brandon Phillips?

Would you take a flyer on Brandon Phillips?

It wasn't that long ago that he was the top prospect in baseball, and now he's fallen out of favor in Cleveland. If you were Krivsky, is Phillips the type of player that you would take a chance on, either a minor trade or wait and try to get him on waivers?

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjourna...s/13979723.htm

Brandon Phillips is out of options and can't be sent to the minors without first clearing waivers. How much will that affect his chances of making the team as a utility infielder?

``It's one factor but only one,'' General Manager Mark Shapiro said. ``It's very unlikely that he'll get through waivers but not impossible.''

That does not make Phillips the favorite to stick with Tribe. In fact, Ramon Vazquez, who leads Phillips in experience by miles, is the front-runner.

``At some point, Brandon is going to be a good big-league player,'' Shapiro said. ``The question is when or where.''
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you take a flyer on Brandon Phillips?

When you have Aurilia and Womack on the 40 man roster, there is no room unless you trade one of them.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

In place of Womack and Aurilia?

YES
    Go Gators!

Cut Womack, bring in Phillips. Works for me.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

When you have Aurilia and Womack on the 40 man roster, there is no room unless you trade one of them.
    And Quentin McCracken and Timo Perez got invited to camp. I'd rather have Phillips than any of those 4.

If all it takes is a waiver claim, I'd say do it. Option Allan Simpson or Bergolla to the minors.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

There's plenty of dead weight on the 40 man roster. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone to drop if you wanted to take a chance on Brandon Phillips.

We have Woemack. He knows how to play the game. Who wants a guy you have to teach that to.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Someone will trade something for Phillips. If the Reds want him, they'll have to give up somebody. Somebody that the Indians would actually sort of want.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Someone will trade something for Phillips. If the Reds want him, they'll have to give up somebody. Somebody that the Indians would actually sort of want.
    :aurilia:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    If you view them as commmodities there isn't.

Cut them and move on.

If this team would view them as the future over a player like Phillips then they deserve any whooping they take the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    :aurilia:
    That's what I was thinking.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'd much rather have Aurilia than Phillips, that should tell you how little I think of Phillips at this point. Pass.

Phillips has been at AAA for 3 seasons and his best year was .296/.353/.416 in 2004. Even if he's a gold glove defender, he's no better than Ray Olmedo or Willy Bergolla. Seems like a waste of a 40 man spot to me. That said, I'd rather have him wasting a roster spot than Womack.

Sure, I'd take a chance on Phillips if we didn't have to give up much for him. It's not as if our 40 man roster is overflowing with talent.

Phillips has been at AAA for 3 seasons and his best year was .296/.353/.416 in 2004.
    Get him and teach him to play CF, then his worth to the Reds is twice as much as it was when they obtained him.

Turn Off Ads?