Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Reds Mound Height

The Reds Mound Height

Remember the issues with the height of the Reds mound.

On BP Radio the other day a Groundskeeper explained what the issue was and why it was perceived as such.

Here's just that bit Moundgate

http://reds.enquirer.com/2003/06/08/wwwred1note8.html

MOUNDGATE: Two things are crystal clear about "Moundgate," the latest controversy at Great American Ball Park:

One: The mound meets Major League Baseball regulations.

Two: The mounds at many National League ballparks do not.

"We've played on almost every field so far, and every mound except this one has been awesome for us - well, except for Puerto Rico, which was pretty bad," Reds closer Scott Williamson said Saturday. "If this mound is the right height, then obviously it's too flat . . . Because it's not the mound we're pitching on everywhere else."

After a poor outing Friday night, Reds pitcher John Riedling lambasted the mound for being too low and not sloped enough. Williamson supported him on that, saying it definitely has a negative impact on sinkerball pitchers and makes it difficult to "get on top of" breaking balls.

While every pitcher who has pitched on the Great American mound agrees with Riedling's and Williamson's criticism of it, it doesn't make any difference.

Nothing's likely to change.

The Reds brass isn't going to go on record that they like the way the ball is flying out of Great American.

Doug Gallant, the Reds' groundskeeper, said he is not going to alter the mound unless somebody in the front office directs it.

"We're right on the rules," Gallant said. "I haven't been told anything (by the Reds brass), but if John Allen and Jim Bowden are thinking, 'We are a power-hitting team, an offensive team, not a defensive team - we just swept Atlanta here, killed the Cardinals here,' then why would you change it?"

The one thing that could be done is to raise home plate an inch or two and then raise the mound the same inch or two, Gallant said.

And it would all be legal. Williamson just hopes the Reds do something. "A taller mound would definitely help our pitchers," Williamson said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds Mound Height

cant beat them...cheat them, thats been my motto

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

a crown? Is this observable? how would that make the mound appear to be "low"? and how do you "crown" a baseball diamond?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I have no problem with any mound, as long as:

(1) It is within the legal limits of the rulebook.
    (2) The same mound is used for both teams in each game.

#1 has been proven to be true with the GABP mound. # 2 always seems to be the case. No problems here!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

The height of the mound is probably more to blame for HR's at GAB than the dimensions of the ballpark.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Nah I think I'd blame the ones throwing the ball more
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Nah I think I'd blame the ones throwing the ball more
    Well, our team seems to do okay against the other teams' guys too.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Well, our team seems to do okay against the other teams' guys too.
    But the mound is the regulation dimensions, it says so after tests and by the groundskeeper in the sound bite above.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    But the mound is the regulation dimensions, it says so after tests and by the groundskeeper in the sound bite above.
    The implication is that other teams' mounds are not--they're higher. Are the Reds the only ones playing by the rules in this dept.? Other teams pitchers complain about the height of the GAB mound. Why is that?

You know, ever since players have been complaining about the height of this mound I've thought that the Reds should use it to their benefit - psychologically speaking. You think pitchers aren't intimidated every time they go into Denver? A lot of the time they have already beaten themselves even before the game starts. What the Reds should do is play it up. Make a big deal in the press and on TV about how that mound is flat or too low. Obviously it isn't going to effect the better pitchers but combine that low mound with the Reds lineup and make sure the opposing pitchers know about it coming in to town and you might just win a few games because the opposing pitcher thinks he can't pitch off that low mound to all those sluggers. At worst you're no worse than you were before and you might get MLB to look into the height of the mounds at other ballparks.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    The implication is that other teams' mounds are not--they're higher. Are the Reds the only ones playing by the rules in this dept.? Other teams pitchers complain about the height of the GAB mound. Why is that?
    Its my understanding from the sound bite that the mounds height in relation to home plate is correct, but it looks low because there is a slight crowning of the infield. So in other ballparks the infield will be level till you get up to the mound and then increase rapidly, with GABP it sounds like there is a slight increase in the level as soon as you leave home plate, which would make the rate of increase at the mound less (its flatter), while making it look less high. So all the ballparks can be following the correct rules, but GABP will look shorter and be flatter. What I wonder is if this crowning is noticeable along the foul lines, I assume its more focused towards the center of the field otherwise a lot of balls would be rolling foul.

Turn Off Ads?