Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scouting report: overweight, poor fielder, never walks, peddles Jesus

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Scouting report: overweight, poor fielder, never walks, peddles Jesus

Interesting Tony Batista article and blog report on Tony Batista at aarongleeman.com:

http://www.aarongleeman.com/

"This is a guy you want to have on your team," Orioles All-Star third baseman Melvin Mora said in a telephone interview. "This is a guy who is always talking about Jesus. All of the people are going to love him in Minnesota."
    If anyone thought Batista would shrivel from his Japanese experience, they were mistaken. Like anything in his deeply spiritual life, he speaks of it now as part of God's divine plan.

With Fukuoka, he said, he handed out Bibles inside the clubhouse to his Japanese teammates.

"And they read the Bible," he said, without sounding surprised. "So I think God probably said, 'You're done over there. So go back here to Minnesota and talk about Jesus Christ to those guys.'"
    Gleeman:
    I also question why Batista's propensity to push his religious beliefs upon teammates is being spun as such a positive thing. Let's say, just for an example, that Rondell White is an Atheist. He is joining the team and meeting his new teammates for the first time, just like Batista. If White were constantly bringing up Atheism and pushing those beliefs on his new teammates, would it be treated the same way by Christensen?

I doubt it, and you can sub Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Mormonism or any number of other religions in and ask the same question. Whatever the case, I think the answer will be the same and it'll be a lot different than the way Batista's belief in Christianity is being covered. (Interestingly, on the same day that the Batista article ran, the front page of the Star Tribune featured an article under the headline of "Bringing God to the job." It also focused on Christianity.)
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Scouting report: overweight, poor fielder, never walks, peddles Jesus

Uh-oh, this is religious in nature, not baseball.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Uh, it's from a baseball site and is about a baseball player.

Put your badge away, Pyle...and please stop with the condescending smilies. There's a more sensible way to approach this.

It's about baseball AND religion. They're not mutually exclusive. I have a book called "The Faith of 50 Million: Baseball, Religion, and American Culture." I found the book in the Baseball section of the bookstore, not the Non-Baseball section.

If you continue to overpolice the site, you run the risk of losing a lot of interesting discussion about ALL aspects of baseball.

I don't post a lot on here anymore for a variety of reasons, the most relevant being limited time. However, I think I have a history of interesting and informed discussion. I'll be happy to take that viewpoint elsewhere if this site wants to buttonhole itself into an instrument that has no room for discussion beyond "are strikeouts bad"?

Being overly politically correct isn't a virtue. That movement, much like the sabermetrics movement, was begun as a way to combat conformity and conventional wisdom. When the movement swallows itself and begins to forbid anything but conformity, it has outlived its usefulness. I don't think it behooves this small corner of the baseball community to allow redszone to follow the lead of the P.C. movement.
    Last edited by Crash Davis; 02-28-2006 at 09:50 PM.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Crash, thanks for the post. I enjoyed reading the info. This brings up some very interesting points about clubhouse culture too. We talk about ego's and attitudes all the time (see: any D'Angelo Jimenez post last season). One man's bible is another man's leather chair (Dunn). Take Dunn's chair away, slugger no happy.

I don't like the idea of involving politics or religion in the clubhouse. What if Dunn started passing out pamphlets about the Republican party to everyone in the clubhouse? I guarentee some people might throw it away and someone might take it personally.

This could create a hostile environment for any Jewish players, or anyone of other backgrounds.

This is a sensative area but I think as long as the conversation remains on topic, we should be okay and this thread will stay open.

Crash and Aves, you have both handled it well. Thanks guys.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Man Pills

It's not the Jesus stuff that gets my goat, it's the overweight part. How dare Batista!! Cut him!! Make him an example, I say!! Never mind the fact that he sucks as a performer--that overweight stuff, I can't abide!!

Wearing his religion on his sleeve is probably a really effective (though inadvertent) defense mechanism for Batista. Nobody wants to tell the smiling evangelical guy that he sucks.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Uh, it's from a baseball site and is about a baseball player.

Put your badge away, Pyle...and please stop with the condescending smilies. There's a more sensible way to approach this.

It's about baseball AND religion. They're not mutually exclusive. I have a book called "The Faith of 50 Million: Baseball, Religion, and American Culture." I found the book in the Baseball section of the bookstore, not the Non-Baseball section.

If you continue to overpolice the site, you run the risk of losing a lot of interesting discussion about ALL aspects of baseball.

I don't post a lot on here anymore for a variety of reasons, the most relevant being limited time. However, I think I have a history of interesting and informed discussion. I'll be happy to take that viewpoint elsewhere if this site wants to buttonhole itself into an instrument that has no room for discussion beyond "are strikeouts bad"?

Being overly politically correct isn't a virtue. That movement, much like the sabermetrics movement, was begun as a way to combat conformity and conventional wisdom. When the movement swallows itself and begins to forbid anything but conformity, it has outlived its usefulness. I don't think it behooves this small corner of the baseball community to allow redszone to follow the lead of the P.C. movement.
    I happen to disagree that Crash handled this well based on this post, especially since I was being sarcastic. I guess it depends on who starts a thread about religion, so whatever.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Most players are very religious, Gary Gaetti prime example, no one is pushing religion, no one complains when a football player or a baseball player points to God, heaver, or the sky at their long lost relative. Baseball and religion go hand in hand, what did the great Davey Concepcion do before he stepped in the box?

Give God his due. in whatever belief you follow.
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

Gary Gaetti prime example, no one is pushing religion,
    Gary is an interesting example, he was a hell raiser with Hrbeck and then changed his ways, according to Hrbeck it changed everything about the team, their relationship etc... it was covered in this article 12 years ago.

Religion in the Clubhouse: Divine Or Divisive? by Wendel, Tim
    Article in USA Today Baseball Weekly
    June 8, 1994 (Vol. 4, Issue 11) -- p. 36, 4 page(s)
    » Notes: Contributing: Scott Kauffman, Pete Williams, Lisa Winston

Named people: Gary Gaetti; Brian Harper; Paul Molitor; Joe Carter; Howard Johnson; Gary Lavelle; Ron Andrews; Bill Madlock; Darrell Evans; Kent Hrbek
    Topics: Religion; Christianity; Chemistry; Player Dissension; Minnesota Twins; San Francisco Giants; Toronto Blue Jays

Interesting, WOY. Usually, Christians (religious) athelets are labled as being apathetic or not playing as hard as the next guy. That's not an opinion I subscribe to as a general rule, but I also won't discredit it.

I remember an interview with Brett Butler (a Christian) one time, and the interviewer asked him what kind of player he thought Jesus Christ would be. Without hesitating he said he thought Jesus Christ would be the type of player who would go in hard at second base to break up a double play, and then pick up the opposing player and dust him off.

He went on to make the point that Christians should give their best and play harder than the next guy, as everything they do "should be done for the Lord."

I could see it going either way, depending on the personalities of those involved.

In the case of Gary and Kent, it would be interesting to know their ages, etc. No doubt, if Gary was a hellraiser before he converted drastically changed after, it's possible the change was just perceived by Mr. Hrbeck as the problem when there could have been other factors contributing to that as well - like the normal decline of an athlete.

I'm not saying that's the case, either - just would be interesting to look at.

Is there a link to that article, WOY?

Is there a link to that article, WOY?
    Nope, I tried to dig it up but no luck, the author has a web site and perhaps he could lead us to it?

Butler and Gladden were both teammates on the Giants IIRC and from my recollection as a resident of the area that caused some strife on the team.

I don't think bringing religion into the work place is appropriate, whether you are a baseball player or a garbage man. If guys want to hold bible study meetings on their own time fine, but approaching others and asking to "give testimony" is, IMO, offensive, as it would be if a jewish or buddist player approached others and tried to convert them to their religion.

I had a former employee who would approach people at work and ask to give his "testimony". Even though he was a very nice man I know it made some folks very uncomfortable. Later he left to become a minister.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I happen to disagree that Crash handled this well based on this post, especially since I was being sarcastic. I guess it depends on who starts a thread about religion, so whatever.
    Sarcasm practice this afternoon on the back field.

Have any players besides Hrbek in the above article ever come out and complained that religion is too pervasive?

I remember hearing about some player with the Nationals last season telling one of his teammates that his Jewish girlfriend was condemned to hell, which seems like something you don't say in polite conversation at the workplace, even if it is your particular sect's belief.

As for me, if I was constantly being hit over the head with religion in my workplace I think it would drive me nuts. Thank God I'm in government work.
    Last edited by dsmith421; 03-01-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Turn Off Ads?