Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about Williamson

How about Williamson

Scott Williamson: Could be Traded
    RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
    Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Update: Other teams are interested in Williamson and have been in trade talks with general manager Jim Hendry all winter, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Recommendation: Some scouts (not surprisingly given his stuff and his history when healthy) view Williamson as a possible eighth- or ninth-inning reliever. With the Cubs signing Bob Howry and Scott Eyre to handle setup roles for closer Ryan Dempster, Williamson's role in Chicago is undetermined, so he could be moved. Why the Cubs gave all that money to two lesser pitchers when they had Williamson in the fold is another issue, but at this point, Williamson could be traded to a team that needs a setup guy and could see some saves eventually if that team's closer were to falter. At this point, it's just speculation, but he's a nice end-game gamble in NL leagues.
    Wonder if they'd take Rick White. In all seriousness, IMO he'd be a good gamble given the Reds situation. I see basically no way of this happening though. Anyone know what he makes this season?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about Williamson

Not certain, but I'm pretty sure he's making around 2 million
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

You are right Cubs paid him 500K last season and picked up the 2 million option this season. Second year off TJ surgery, I see him having a really good season if he can stay healthy.

No thanks, he's going to blow his arm out again soon.
    Go Gators!

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Scotty is unsure of his role with the team. He would, of course, like to be the closer, but knows that won't happen in Chicago.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub01.html

Due to his injury history, he's not a guy I'd like to invest a lot in. But if he can be acquired on the cheap side, he'd be a huge addition to the bullpen. I'd certainly welcome him back to the Reds.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    I see him having a really good season if he can stay healthy.
    that is a very big IF
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    You are right Cubs paid him 500K last season and picked up the 2 million option this season. Second year off TJ surgery, I see him having a really good season if he can stay healthy.
    You can take the entire Cubs pitching staff and use those words somewhere in a sentence.

Why do I have thoughts of the Cubs finishing sixth?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

that is a very big IF
    ...which is why you don't invest very much in him. But his talent outweighs his injury risk to a degree, especially when you look at the rest of the Reds bullpen.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I would love to have him on the team, of course IF he is healthy. I saw after a week of ST, take a look at how he is doing. I would definitely trade for him. Obviously I wouldn't give up much because it would be a risk and I think the Cubs would have to send some cash our way, but I wouldn't mind him coming in to the game in the 9th.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

nope. arm go boom soon.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

nope. arm go boom soon.
    So what if it does?

If you can get Williamson for roster fodder and $2 million, you take that chance. That's not much to risk.

Has he changed his mechanics? When he was with the Reds they were concerned with his mechanics and knew it was only a matter of time he would blow out his arm.

Two Tommy John surgeries. I wouldn't invest alot in acquiring him. But I would give Todd Coffey every chance in spring training to show he can be the closer for this club.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Watching Williamson is like watching a train that's going too fast for the track. You know it's not going to end well, but it sure is exciting to watch it.

Did you realize he struck out 23 guys and walked 6 in 14.1 IP last year? He's still a little on edge control wise, but his stuff is still electric.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    So what if it does?

If you can get Williamson for roster fodder and $2 million, you take that chance. That's not much to risk.
    $2M is too much for the amount of risk associated with his arm.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

$2M is too much for the amount of risk associated with his arm.
    I'd say $2M is the perfect amount to risk for the potential gain. So I guess we'll just have to disagree.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 03-01-2006 at 12:05 PM.

Turn Off Ads?