Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DUMB CONTRACTS - Randy Winn and Jack Wilson

Re: DUMB CONTRACTS - Randy Winn and Jack Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Yep. Moneyball.
    the smaller market teams can't afford to pay big $$ for mediocre performance(or worse).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    he rest of his career is pedestrian.
    I'd give him a little better than pedestrian. His OPS+ the past four seasons has been 117, 105, 107 and 126. The real problem with the deal, IMO, is that he turns 32 this season. He might be able to help a club in 2006, but in 2008 probably not so much.
    Last edited by M2; 03-01-2006 at 12:47 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'd give him a little better than pedestrian. His OPS+ the past four seasons has been 117, 105, 107 and 126. The real problem with the deal, IMO, is that he turns 32 this season. He might be able to a club in 2006, but in 2008 probably not so much.
    You have to convert that in to "Giant" years M2. On the Giant's scale, it's a mircale he's in the majors already -- way ahead of schedule.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_428642.html

By Rob Rossi
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, March 1, 2006

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Well it's alright, now. In fact, it's a gas.

Cash, that is... cash, cash, cash.

Jack Wilson -- the popular Pirates' shortstop whose spectacular defensive play has led fans to call him "Jumpin' Jack Flash" after the Rolling Stones' mega-hit -- agreed to a three-year extension worth $20.2 million Tuesday that will keep him in Pittsburgh through at least the 2009 season.

Wilson signed his contract following an afternoon news conference to announce the deal.

At that news conference, Wilson could barely contain his excitement for securing a future with the Pirates.

"A lot of people talk about getting to free agency and going to a contender, but I think I'm playing for a contender right now," Wilson said. "I'm going to be very proud to wear this uniform when we do turn it around."

Wilson, 28, will earn $4.6 million this season under the terms of a two-year contract he signed following his All-Star season in 2004. He will earn $5.25 million in 2007; $6.5 million in 2008; and $7.25 million in 2009. The extension includes a $600,000 signing bonus. The Pirates hold a club-option for 2010, a season in which Wilson could earn $8.4 million; he can be bought out of that option year at a cost of $500,000.

Wilson would have become a free agent following the 2007 season.

His signing means that over the past four months the Pirates have locked up their past two All-Star representatives -- Wilson (2004) and outfielder Jason Bay (2005) -- for the next four seasons.

Wilson said yesterday that the club's signing of Bay convinced him that Pittsburgh was the right fit.

"He's the type of guy you can build a team around; when he signed, I was, like, 'I need to lock myself up, too,' " said Wilson, whose agent, Page Odle, first approached the Pirates about an extension in late-December.

"I was just hoping that they wanted to keep me."

Turned out that the Pirates had no misgivings about offering a rare long-term deal to a player they consider one of the premiere defensive infielders in baseball.

Wilson's lifetime field percentage is .977, including a career-best .982 in 2005.

"That is the most important thing: Jack is one of the five best defensive players in all of baseball," said general manager Dave Littlefield of Wilson, who has finished second in the voting for the National League Gold Glove award four consecutive times.

"He's an excellent shortstop. Everything you want to look at defensively, he scores very well."

Wilson's critics will no doubt argue that the Pirates are paying too much for a career .263 hitter, but the Pirates believe that he is about to breakout offensively.

They might be right.

After all, he is only two seasons removed from batting .308 and recording 201 hits -- a total that was the most by a Pirates player since Dave Parker's 215 in 1977.

Prior to the start of last season, Wilson underwent an emergency appendectomy, which prevented him from properly training for the 2005 season. The end result was Wilson batting just .257 -- but it should be noted that he hit .292 after the All-Star break.

Wilson showed up to spring training this year at 205 pounds, having added bulk to better prepare for the rigors of a 162-game season.

"I think, as he's starting to mature and come into his prime years, he'll do even better offensively," Littlefield said. "Offensively, I'm confident that he's closer to the player you saw at the end of last season than the one you saw at the beginning."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

It does make me feel better when teams in our division continue to do idiotic things, makes me thing we have a chance
    Go Gators!

"Wilson's critics will no doubt argue that the Pirates are paying too much for a career .263 hitter, but the Pirates believe that he is about to breakout offensively.

They might be right.

After all, he is only two seasons removed from batting .308 and recording 201 hits -- a total that was the most by a Pirates player since Dave Parker's 215 in 1977."

beg pardon, but if Wilson is ABOUT to breakout offensively, he wouldn't ne two years removed from his break-out season, would he?

Maybe I'm just confused as to what the Pirates expect Wilson to "break out" to.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Even when Wilson hit .300, his OBA and Sl% were well below that type of contract.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Maybe I'm just confused as to what the Pirates expect Wilson to "break out" to.
    Like a lot of other players that one BIG season is going to carry them a long way because foolish GM's and manager think they will repeat it.
    Go Gators!

they'll give Jack $20,000,000 but they will do their best to not have to play Craig.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?