Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five starters appear set

Five starters appear set

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...603010371/1071

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. - Reds manager Jerry Narron is ready to set the rotation.

If Paul Wilson is healthy, Narron said the rotation will be Aaron Harang, Brandon Claussen, Wilson, Eric Milton and Dave Williams (in no particular order).

"Barring trades or injuries, yeah," Narron said.

What about performance?

"Barring trades and injuries."

Narron made those comments before Dave Williams, making his Reds debut, allowed five runs (two earned) in the first inning against the Kia Tigers of Korea.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky isn't quite ready to commit to the rotation."If you're talking in a vacuum, yeah," Krivsky said. "We haven't played a game yet."

Krivsky said he understands Narron's reasoning on the starting rotation.

"If you go on past history, it makes sense to make that kind of statement," he said.

But Krivsky added that he doesn't want to ignore spring training results.

"We're here to compete," Krivsky said.

"We play a month's worth of games. You don't want to take anything for granted. I think competition is good," Krivsky added.

The chances that the Reds would add outside help greatly diminished Monday, when the team broke off talks with Pedro Astacio. Astacio subsequently signed with Washington.

A trade is still possible, but don't look for anything to happen soon.

"I'm always trying to improve the team any way I can," Krivsky said. "But let's get into (exhibition) games. Let's see these guys compete. There's enough competition here that I hope they make it tough on Jerry to pick the 11 or 10 (pitchers) at the end."

Still, based on track records, it's hard to imagine the Reds going with any combination other than Harang, Claussen, Wilson, Milton and Williams - if Wilson is healthy.

Those five combined to go 40-55 last year with a 4.54 ERA. Only one of the five pitched more than 200 innings (Harang, 2112/3).

That doesn't exactly fill the fans' hearts with optimism.

But the Reds think things could improve based on two things:

Milton and Wilson had track records as effective big-league pitchers before last year. In 2005, Milton was 8-15 with a 6.47 ERA, while Wilson was 1-5 with a 7.77 ERA. The Reds are hoping those numbers were an aberration.

Harang, Claussen and Williams, who are all 27 years old or younger, should improve with another year's experience.

"Claussen and Harang were our most consistent pitchers last year," Narron said. "With experience, they have a chance to be better. Dave Williams has a good breaking ball. He changes speeds and he's an outstanding competitor."

It appears Wilson will be ready - or at least very close to ready - when the season starts.

Wilson had shoulder surgery in July, suffered a slight setback at the beginning of camp, but is on track again.

He threw 70 pitches in a bullpen session Tuesday.

"It went well," he said. "The last 20 were better than the first 20."

The Reds have no firm date when Wilson will pitch in an exhibition game.

"I'm champing at the bit to get out there," Wilson said. "But we don't want to get in that roller coaster chase."

Krivsky agrees.

"We don't want to rush Paul," Krivsky said. "He's had a great rehab so far. We don't want to see him do anything to take him off the roll he seems to be on."

If Wilson isn't ready, righty Justin Germano or lefty Michael Gosling likely will take his place.

"We'll see how it shakes out at the end," Krivsky said.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Five starters appear set

I am really perplexed as to why Belisle isn't at least being given a shot at winning a rotation spot. I mean, we're giving Michael Gosling and Justin Germano chances, why not Belisle? Does Narron know something i don't?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I am really perplexed as to why Belisle isn't at least being given a shot at winning a rotation spot. I mean, we're giving Michael Gosling and Justin Germano chances, why not Belisle? Does Narron know something i don't?
    He's to valuable as a swing guy.

Freel's to valuable as a super-sub.

etc, etc
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I dunno, I really liked MattyB out of the pen. He did great in long releif, and it suits him a little better. He has nerve problems or something. Every time he pitched on short notice, he excelled, and every time he knew he had the start ahead of time, he got flustered. Much better mentality for a reliever than a starter.

I'm surprised Dunn isn't more valuable as a pinch hitter

Is there anyone else who can handle the swing role with a certain degree of competency? For the most part the relievers are a bunch of one inning guys, two at most. Someone's got to fill the role, and Belisle seems like the best fit.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I'm surprised Dunn isn't more valuable as a pinch hitter

Dunn's going to return to UT, use the rest of his eligibility in football and be the starting QB now that Vince Young is gone.

And while we're at it, Milton's going to win 20 games this year...

"Barring trades and injuries"

So Milton could go out and get bombed non stop in ST and he's got a spot locked up

YAY
    Go Gators!

The club may know what it wants to start the with for a rotation, but I'll guarantee you we see some turnover by June 1.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The club may know what it wants to start the with for a rotation, but I'll guarantee you we see some turnover by June 1.
    Of course you will. It happens every season. But what kind of turnover?

Glad to know Krivsky's picked up his talking points from John Allen: "We're here to compete." Oh boy. Krivsky can't be serious when he says that he wants to see how they look in Spring Training. Please tell me that's just double-speak for no trades being on the horizon because of limited trade partners. If K really wants to see how they look in Spring Training, I'll be glad to draw him a picture.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Glad to know Krivsky's picked up his talking points from John Allen: "We're here to compete." Oh boy. Krivsky can't be serious when he says that he wants to see how they look in Spring Training.
    Allen is looking for the Reds to "compete" agains other teams DURING the season.

I take Krivsky to be saying he wants competition for roster spots and starting jobs BEFORE the season, and amongst themselves.

HUGE difference IMO. I get the distinct vibe that RCast and Krivsky don't want 86 W seasons or marginal improvement ... they want to get to the playoffs.

They likely have a realistic idea in house that they are not getting there this season. Most of what they accomplish this year will be to set the stage for 2007 and 2008. Under past regimes that always appeared very hollow to me, however, I get a different feeling from these guys.

It seems to me that he is trying to foster the attitude that you had better show up in shape and ready to roll on day one of ST, and you had better have worked on your game in the offseason or somebody that has will be around to try and unseat you.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong

They likely have a realistic idea in house that they are not getting there this season. Most of what they accomplish this year will be to set the stage for 2007 and 2008.

GL
    Yeah. That's a copout, IMO. Stage-setting's for nimrods: it's a built-in excuse for not succeeding.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 03-01-2006 at 03:35 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Yeah. That's a copout
    No it's a reality, this team has neither the pitching nor the resources to obtain it for this season.

Sit back and let the suckitude envelope you.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

Sit back and let the suckitude envelope you.
    Believe me, my bites of the s sandwich are humongous.

I don't want my FO to let the suckitude envelop them, however. The Reds absolutely have the resources to compete this season. If they're smart and industrious.

The Reds absolutely have the resources to compete this season. If they're smart and industrious.
    Really?

Please explain how the starters and the BP will improve by a run and a half while the defense and the team health stays steady. If anyone is needed to get over the hump who do you trade for a shot of losing in the playoffs?

Turn Off Ads?