Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bret Boone Retires

Bret Boone Retires

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

By Bryan Hoch / Special to MLB.com

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Tears welled in Bret Boone's eyes, his lower lip quivering ever so slightly. Something inside had told him to go home.

Boone's 14-year Major League career came to an end Wednesday in the dugout at Tradition Field. The three-time All-Star pointed to his chest, said his inner fire was missing and announced his retirement.

"Something I've loved my whole life has become a major, major job for me," Boone said. "I don't think it would be fair for me -- or fair to the Mets -- to continue something I've loved my whole life and had so much passion for, and all of a sudden that passion isn't there anymore."

Boone, 37, was in camp with the Mets on a Minor League contract, accepting a non-roster invitation to Spring Training. After batting .221 in 88 games for the Seattle Mariners and Minnesota Twins last season, Boone said he wanted to leave the game on his terms.

"At the end of the day, physically I think I could still do it," Boone said. "It wasn't as easy as three or four years ago to get out there every day, but to me, I just lost it. I lost the edge."

Mets GM Omar Minaya said that he supported the decision. Boone was absent from camp on Tuesday, when the Mets went through their first intra-squad game, and decided to retire now rather than go through the team's exhibition schedule.

"He did not disappoint us," Minaya said. "It takes a man to make a decision. One of the reasons we brought Bret on board this spring was because of the way he plays the game -- the way he gave in the clubhouse, the passion he brought to the game. That passion was something that was contagious. I fully support his decision."

Boone said a pivotal moment came when he watched 22-year-old shortstop Jose Reyes last week, gleefully coasting through drills even after four hours in the Florida sun.

"He just kind of stared at me with that smile on his face," Boone said. "I said, 'That's what I remember.' Being a kid. He's got so much love right now for this game, and it's right on his sleeve. I know what he's feeling.

"He can't wait to get to the ballpark and go to work, and that's awesome. That's what you need to be successful in this game, and if you don't have that, you're wasting everybody's time."

Boone finishes his career as a lifetime .266 hitter with the Mariners, Cincinnati Reds, Atlanta Braves, San Diego Padres and Twins. A four-time Gold Glove award winner and a two-time Silver Slugger recipient, Boone compiled 1,775 hits, 252 home runs and 1,021 RBI in 1,780 career games.

Boone's retirement leaves three candidates -- Kaz Matsui, Anderson Hernandez and Jeff Keppinger -- in the race to be the Mets' Opening Day second baseman. Minaya said he is confident the team will fill the position.

"We'll find ways," Minaya said. "We'll find guys to be able to get the job done."
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bret Boone Retires

Well, the game is cleaning up its steroid problem
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

"We'll find ways," Minaya said. "We'll find guys to be able to get the job done."

May we interest you in..Tony Womack?
    Go Gators!

I'll always wish him well... I'm disappointed, but I bet this is probably the best decision. I'm sure his kids will be happy to have him around at home more!!

I absolutely LOVED him when he was with the Reds. I still have his poster on my wall at home!! He was a model for me defensively, especially as I got into college and made the permanent switch from shortstop to 2nd base.

Aww, this is pretty sad...
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Quote Originally Posted by Super Barry11
    I absolutely LOVED him when he was with the Reds. I still have his poster on my wall at home!! He was a model for me defensively, especially as I got into college and made the permanent switch from shortstop to 2nd base.

Aww, this is pretty sad...

Are you going to retire that article of clothing you have with Bret Boone on it, SB?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 03-01-2006 at 01:26 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I love the accusation that he did steroids.

He could have just started working out more too... no one says anything about that, it must not be sexy enough.

Just looking at the mans numbers I see one huge constant in his three biggest seasons, 1994, 2001, 2003.

An un-Boone like high BA.

But y'all keep tooting that steroid horn if you like the tune so much, I'll just note that surges like that have occured on and off in the game for as long as its been played and if Boone was doing steroids to get power his 1994 season should be tainted with that as well, just kinda makes ya wonder what happened to 96 and 97.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Are you going to retire that article of clothing you have with Bret Boone on it, SB?
    Nah, I think I'll still get some use out of it... It's quality, let me tell ya!! :
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Spirit of 1976

I've had this hunch about Boonie. What gives you this idea? He just too suddenly went from an average hitter to a home run hitter who can hit for average.

I don't know whether or not Bret Boone used steroids, but he has been accused of it by a lot of people. Look at the others who have faced these accusations and see where they are right now.

Palmeiro-likely done
    Sosa-likely done
    Boone-done
    Bonds-MLB loves him and needs him...he's the #1 villain
    Giambi-the feel good story of last year

For the most part, it seems like those players implicated in the steroid scandal have been blackballed by the sport.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Boone was my favorite player when he was with the Reds. I wanted to play second base because that's where he played. I remember even wanting to get my hair cut like him. Of all the trades the Reds have made in my lifetime, trading him to Atlanta was the one I was most disappointed about.

Any proof? Perhaps he just worked hard.

Good luck to you, Bret. I loved when you were a Red.

I loved this:
    Boone said a pivotal moment came when he watched 22-year-old shortstop Jose Reyes last week, gleefully coasting through drills even after four hours in the Florida sun.

"He just kind of stared at me with that smile on his face," Boone said. "I said, 'That's what I remember.' Being a kid. He's got so much love right now for this game, and it's right on his sleeve. I know what he's feeling.

"He can't wait to get to the ballpark and go to work, and that's awesome. That's what you need to be successful in this game, and if you don't have that, you're wasting everybody's time."
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I blame Bob Boone.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I blame Bob Boone.
    Yeah, he definitely was there in the beginning...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Spirit of 1976

I don't know whether or not Bret Boone used steroids, but he has been accused of it by a lot of people. Look at the others who have faced these accusations and see where they are right now.

Palmeiro-likely done
    Sosa-likely done
    Boone-done
    Bonds-MLB loves him and needs him...he's the #1 villain
    Giambi-the feel good story of last year

For the most part, it seems like those players implicated in the steroid scandal have been blackballed by the sport.
    I remember back in the early 2000's thinking that suddenly Bret Boone had some tremendous forearms, like Popeye's. Jose Canseco said the same thing in his book. Canseco is a liar and a cheat, but he's turned out to be right in his book about Palmeiro.

I think the major reason Boone has been lumped into the steroids mess is the same reason Sosa, and even Danny Graves were. They were players whose productivity dropped dramatically in the same year, the year of testing. That may be coincidence, but it's hurt Boone.

Turn Off Ads?