Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about southern Ohio

Let's talk about southern Ohio

I need some advice from you Ohiotuckians.

I am thinking of spending some time in Ohio or maybe Kentucky this fall. I grew up in Cincinnati but I have not lived there in quite some time and have never gotten to know it as an adult and I am actually not that familiar with the city at all.

One thing I am considering doing is spending some time in the country (I guess within a few-hour radius of Cincinnati), and I wondered if any of you have some ideas of where people can do this. I have an idea -- and it may be far-fetched, I don't know -- of renting a little house or a cabin on a lake for awhile while I get some work done. There's so much countryside in southern Ohio, but I don't know where exactly and I wouldn't know how to go about looking for that kind of thing (though I have spend an exorbitant amount of time on www.lakehouse.com which is fabulous if any of you have time to kill). Ok, I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but I have to start somewhere.

I would also like to hear people's takes on the neighborhoods in Cincinnati. There are rundowns of them online, but I can't seem to come across any kind of comprehensive descriptions from people who really live there and can give more of a "real" definition of the neigborhoods. Which ones do you like and why? I'm not really interested in anything too suburban; I'd prefer the city or the country, although I'm aware that makes little to no sense. (country first, but if this is not feasible given the whole renting-house thing, I'd rather be in the city.)

Am I correct in my assumption that you pretty much need to have a car in Cincinnati, even in the city proper?

I know this is pretty general but I don't know many people there and you guys seem to be a good resource on a lot of things and so many of you seem to know the city so well (neighborhoods seem to come up a lot here which got me thinking). I'm just kind of looking for jumping-off points, I guess. I would very much appreciate any help or advice you could give me. For some reason I just had an overwhelming attempt to post the mooning smiley guy here, but I will refrain.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Let's talk about southern Ohio

We've got a farm in Owen County, KY; about 400 acres. Less than an hour from Cincy. Everything is rural around those parts... you could find a house/trailer/cabin to rent in those parts pretty easily I'd imagine.

It's beautiful country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I used to spend summers on Rocky Fork lake in Highland county....it's beautiful out there (near Hillsboro).
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

If you feel like making a little bit longer of a drive, there are several cabin/chalet rentals in the Hocking Hills/Old Man's Cave area.

If someone can steer me toward a rental cabin on a lake within 3 hours of Cincinnati, I'd love it!

I'm not really looking for anything commercial... not cozy enough and usually too many people around. We like our privacy.

Currently, when we return to NY to visit family each summer, we rent a really cozy hunting cabin. There's only two... each is on a large pond. It's wonderful.

I would really like to find something similar in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana.

WilyMo... how would I go about looking for something in your area?

Dom? Any more info you could PM to me?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    If someone can steer me toward a rental cabin on a lake within 3 hours of Cincinnati, I'd love it!

I'm not really looking for anything commercial... not cozy enough and usually too many people around. We like our privacy.

Currently, when we return to NY to visit family each summer, we rent a really cozy hunting cabin. There's only two... each is on a large pond. It's wonderful.

I would really like to find something similar in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana.

WilyMo... how would I go about looking for something in your area?

Dom? Any more info you could PM to me?
    Hueston Woods State Park is close(near Oxford). You can get a cabin there.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Bingo.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I need some advice from you Ohiotuckians.

IThere's so much countryside in southern Ohio, but I don't know where exactly and I wouldn't know how to go about looking for that kind of thing (though I have spend an exorbitant amount of time on www.lakehouse.com which is fabulous if any of you have time to kill). Ok, I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but I have to start somewhere.

Thank you very much just for this site. I'm sure I will use it in the future when planning a family vacation.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys. I remember Hillsboro, very funny great little town, but the rest of this is all new to me...any idea where I can get more information on these places? I had no idea there was state park near Oxford, that's rad.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys. I remember Hillsboro, very funny great little town, but the rest of this is all new to me...any idea where I can get more information on these places? I had no idea there was state park near Oxford, that's rad.

http://www.discoverohio.com/home.asp

http://www.efn.org/~rick/tour/tx380.html

http://www.ohiotraveler.com/

One of those should at least guide you in the right direction...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I spent the 1986 WS in a cabin there.

-Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

How far is Mammoth Cave from Cincinnati?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I spent the 1986 WS in a cabin there.
    That's funny you mention that...While away on a college roadie, I spent the days surrounding both the 1986 ALCS and NLCS in a cabin in Pigeon Forge, TN. Sadly, I had to be back in Gainesville in time for the World Series.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    I used to spend summers on Rocky Fork lake in Highland county....it's beautiful out there (near Hillsboro).
    Funny, I grew up in Hillsboro.

I'd second dman's suggestion as far as looking into Hocking Hills. Definitely a good way to go.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Turn Off Ads?