Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk about southern Ohio

Re: Let's talk about southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    How far is Mammoth Cave from Cincinnati?
    About three hours. Take I-71 to Lousville and then I-65 south to Mammoth Cave.

As for cabins on the lake, how about Lake Cumberland in South Central Kentucky. The parking lots are full of Ohio and Michigan license plates there all summer, and Marty Brennaman goes there during the All Star Break.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Probably depends on how much time "some time" is. We've stayed at the Ohio State Parks cabins in Hueston Woods and Hocking Hills. They are pretty functional but also get a little pricey for more than a few nights stay. Actually, most places that advertise are rented on a per-night basis (or maybe per-week if you're lucky) and start running into some serious bucks for extended stays.

If you're staying for a month or more, you may want to target an area and then look for monthly house rentals.

Adams County has some nice places to stay.

My wife and I spent a weekend here... http://www.murphinridgeinn.com/ . It was a very nice place and we just had a great time. Digging though my links, I found it via http://www.adamscountytravel.org/lodging.htm

And 1986 must have been the year. We were in a cabin in Tennessee on Norris Lake with the in-laws during the WS. I remember watching a snowy TV picture and seeing Buckner's error. Everyone else had gone to bed and I was going crazy thinking "I gotta share this with someone".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    How far is Mammoth Cave from Cincinnati?
    A bit of a hike... the caves are about 75 miles south of downtown Louisville. (Edited: macro beat me to it.)
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I remember watching a snowy TV picture and seeing Buckner's error. Everyone else had gone to bed and I was going crazy thinking "I gotta share this with someone".
    My GF brought her dorm TV, a little ratty black and white and yes I too was watching that snowy picture and had no one to share it with.

So I ended up marrying the GF and she still doesn't care about 1st baseman errors, but understands that Dave Stapleton should have been there instead.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    My GF brought her dorm TV, a little ratty black and white and yes I too was watching that snowy picture and had no one to share it with.

So I ended up marrying the GF and she still doesn't care about 1st baseman errors, but understands that Dave Stapleton should have been there instead.
    When the 2004 WS was on last year and many replays of the twists and turns of the '86 WS were being replayed, I'd exclaim about remembering the place, the time, the sequence of events, etc. and how unforgettable they were.

And my wife said "I just don't get it, you don't remember what we need at the grocery store, you don't remember when the kids' doctors appointments are, but you precisely remember the events of some stupid baseball game from 20 years ago".

She just doesn't get it. I told her you either have the baseball bug or you don't. If you don't, you just won't understand what kind of events transpired that night.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Thanks again for the suggestions guys, I shall embark on research now...
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Thanks again for the suggestions guys, I shall embark on research now...
    PM me if you find something really private that's reasonably priced. Thanks so much and good luck!!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I love Hocking Hills. We used to spend a lot of time hiking there in college.( I went to Ohio U. in Athens)

School's out. What did you expect?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I love Hocking Hills. We used to spend a lot of time hiking there in college.( I went to Ohio U. in Athens)
    Spent many a day there myself. I'm not sure if it is the one pictured, but my cousin and I used to swim around one of the waterfalls up there. I will say this: those things hurt like he** when they come down on you. You always see these people in shampoo commercials under waterfalls having a good old time but honestly, it's painful.

Anyhow- Old Man's Cave and Hocking Valley in general are great places to go.

TB- We owned our cabin, so I'm not sure of any specific places like that in Hillsboro. I can't imagine it would be too expensive, though, and I'm sure they have them. Also, Pike Lake is a good time, as well as the Fall Festival of Leaves in Bainbridge, Ohio. I believe they are both just east of Hillsboro. A very long time ago there used to be a country music jamboree in Bainbridge and every Saturday night the local talent would put on a show. It was a hoot. There used to be a guy who did a spot-on Freddy Fender impersonation that was hilarious. Not sure if they still have it, but it was fun. If you follow U.S. 50, you run into all sorts of things to do in that area like 7 Caves and Serpent Mound. Really fun.

Redsfaithful- to show you how long ago it was that I spent time in Hillsboro- I saw both Grease and Rocky II at the Colony theater in the middle of town. We also saw a bunch of country acts at the Highland County Fair one year- Stonewall Jackson and a few other no-names.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-03-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    About three hours. Take I-71 to Lousville and then I-65 south to Mammoth Cave.

As for cabins on the lake, how about Lake Cumberland in South Central Kentucky. The parking lots are full of Ohio and Michigan license plates there all summer, and Marty Brennaman goes there during the All Star Break.
    if it's good enough for a poofy-haired fancy boy , then it's good enoug for ___________.

I guess you'll have to fill in the blank.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    if it's good enough for a poofy-haired fancy boy , then it's good enoug for ___________.

I guess you'll have to fill in the blank.
    Cumberland is gorgeous, but my problem is that's it's too commercial and the cabins are the size of postage stamps. More like a bunch of small bunk buildings.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Redsfaithful- to show you how long ago it was that I spent time in Hillsboro- I saw both Grease and Rocky II at the Colony theater in the middle of town. We also saw a bunch of country acts at the Highland County Fair one year- Stonewall Jackson and a few other no-names.
    My parents took me to see Rocky 4 at the Colony when I was really little. I loved the place, they have bands there on Friday's now. Mostly high school kids.

Hillsboro's changed a ton in the past ten years, there are new things every time I go back it seems like. County fairs still a very big deal though - kids get a week off from school.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

My parents took me to see Rocky 4 at the Colony when I was really little. I loved the place, they have bands there on Friday's now. Mostly high school kids.
    One of my friends from Amelia used to play there.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    If someone can steer me toward a rental cabin on a lake within 3 hours of Cincinnati, I'd love it!

I'm not really looking for anything commercial... not cozy enough and usually too many people around. We like our privacy.

Currently, when we return to NY to visit family each summer, we rent a really cozy hunting cabin. There's only two... each is on a large pond. It's wonderful.

I would really like to find something similar in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana.

WilyMo... how would I go about looking for something in your area?

Dom? Any more info you could PM to me?
    TB, I would guess any realtor in Cincinnati would know about anything for sale or lease. Considering the proximity to Cincy, I'd bet they do lots of business in that area. Plus it's extremely close to Sparta and the race track.

Turn Off Ads?