Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can we bottle Tubby's coaching ability?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can we bottle Tubby's coaching ability?

If we could, we'd all be millionaires.

La Dolce Vita

Re: Can we bottle Tubby's coaching ability?

Yessssssss!
    teach tolerance.

Nice that we were able to salvage a win despite Joe Crawford's continued selfishness.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Nice that we were able to salvage a win despite Joe Crawford's continued selfishness.
    What? You mean to imply that you are not down with guys taking contested three pointers from 24 feet away with 17 seconds remaining on the shot clock...with 90 seconds remaining in a one possession, must-have game on the road????

Well, surely then, that behavior might be acceptable if said player could redeem himself by merely stepping up to the line for a 1+1 with 30 seconds left. Perhaps, salting away the game? AAAAAAAArrrrrgghh.

Nope. Well how about a clanker off the front iron instead?

I have never had such an intense love:hate relationship with any athlete like the once I have with (spitting sound) Joe Crawford. Never.

WilyMo: It's nice to see you coming around once again with the Tubster...You are forgiven for all of your recent transgressions. Last night was a coaching clinic. I am a big fan of Bruce Pearl, but he was outmatched after intermission.

After TN allowed Morris to run amok for the first twenty minutes, Tubby had Pearl scheming on how to stop (a well rested) Morris during the second half. Ooops, Tubby brings out the spread offense and Rondo fans across the Commonwealth are salivating. What an absolutely great game to watch last night. Who would have ever thought that Sparks would have ended up being the stopper on Lofton last night? He held him to just nine shots in 33 minutes played.

In my opinion, the smartest thing about the recent starting lineup reshuffle has really gone unmentioned by the media. Stockton and Moss are high energy guys right from the opening tap. The opposing starters are doing well to contain their enthusiam for the first several minutes.

The way the recent substitution patterns have been going, Morris and Rondo are getting in the game right around the time when the opposition's starters are getting a little winded. This fact is not lost on Tubby and will be an advantage in March. Of course, all those extra TV timeouts in March games will offset some of this factor...

When UT (and Lofton) drilled UK in Rupp last month, it was Kentucky that ran out of gas in the second half. Last night, I think BOTH teams were pretty spent by the end of the second half--but I think UK looked a little bit fresher than did UT. If that game goes overtime last night, Pearl is in big trouble (six players with 24+ minutes played versus UK with only 3 players).

I still think that UK can end up taking 2 of these final 3 games and finish with 20 wins going into the SEC Tourney. Morris' pride will be a huge factor on Senior Day as he will be asked to contain Noah (who--in case you hadn't heard--has a famous father ) If that guy can be contained on the offensive glass, UK has a pretty good shot at winning. If Noah has a repeat of last month's performance in the O'Dome (or last night's 37pts/11reb for that matter), then the Cats will be hurting.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 03-02-2006 at 11:05 AM.

La Dolce Vita

I wanted to smack Rodderick Rhodes and Kelena A. a few times I must say, but Joe is in that queue also.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    I wanted to smack Rodderick Rhodes and Kelena A. a few times I must say, but Joe is in that queue also.
    At least Rodrick Rhodes showed remorse at times. Hot nights...cold nights...it simply just doesn't matter to Joe. He is gonna make sure to "get his" regardless of minutes he plays.

On the flipside, when Sparks or Rondo realize that they are "not on" a particular night, at least they make a concerted effort to do other things. Whether it be on defense (Sparks last night), assisting to their teammates, or simply acting as a decoys--Sparks and Rondo know when it is best to get the other guys flowing through the team offense.

Crawford will never acknowledge time, score and possesion over, say, his own personal stat sheet. He single-handedly destroys offensive momentum at times when the plays are actually working against the opponent. At times, he does to team morale what the opposing team could only hope to do.

I cannot count the number of games over the last two seasons where UK needed to milk time off a crucial possesion and work the offense--only to have Joe take an awful shot the second he gets a pass (mostly while being well defended).

There are times when it has honestly appeared to me as though Crawford was fuming that another player ended up hitting the game winning shot (Rondo vs. South Carolina in Rupp?). This is not just your run of the mill stat-*****...Joe Crawford is a complete sociopath.

Now Tubby's a great coach
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I think I called this in that other thread back in January
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Use the search function if you must, but nowhere on this board will you ever find one of my posts that imply anything to the contrary. I have--and will always be--a staunch Tubby supporter. Just sayin'

Now about some of the other UK fans on this board....

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Use the search function if you must, but nowhere on this board will you ever find one of my posts that imply anything to the contrary. I have--and will always be--a staunch Tubby supporter. Just sayin'

Now about some of the other UK fans on this board....
    I was speaking generally and referrring to thread titles I've seen.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

La Dolce Vita

As Blimpie, I have never said a negative word (here or anywhere) about Orlando Smith. He is a very good coach and an even nicer man.
    teach tolerance.

Hey, you can read my posts, I've never called for Tubby to be fired. There are some legitimate gaffes that he has committed this year and I've certainly never been reticent to point those out.

It's painfully obvious when players are deviating totally from the script and team concept, a la Mr. Crawford.

My biggest criticisms of Tubby--which I still stand by, btw--have been of the recruiting variety. I'm just not buying that he didn't know what he was getting with Crawford and Bradley and that he would give them scholarships over the dynamo Chris Lofton. Everyone saw Lofton's potential and every single bucket he scores is a tiny reminder of what SHOULD have been.

Ramel Bradley over Chris Lofton is a move that I will continue to question long after Bradley graduates and Lofton is knocking down threes in the NBA.

If I were Tubby, I would send a message and bench Crawford for the entire Florida game. Worst case scenario, he takes off for Michigan again.

As far as calling out Tubby, I will admit that I have questioned Tubby on more than one occasion. But I am one for giving many chances, and Tubby IMO has come through in benching the starters earlier in the season.

This team still has major issues, and unlike the NBA, you cant just cut your losses. It would take something major for Tubby to yank some of these players scholarships away, and I dont see that happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?