Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 3/1 American Idol...which guy gets the axe?

3/1 American Idol...which guy gets the axe?

Elliott and Chris have clearly separated from the rest. Both of those guys are VERY VERY good in such different styles. I totally agreed with Randy on Chris, he could totally be on the radio RIGHT NOW.

I hated Gedeon last week, but thought he was really good this week. That guy has some pipes and just needs to find the right songs to showcase it. But I find him very annoying.

I like Taylor again, but not as much as the past. He should be safe, though.

The only other one I liked was Fred Savage (Will?). I didn't care for his performance at all last week, but thought his voice actually sounded strong tonight. You can tell he's not fully developed yet vocally because he missed a few notes, but he's got a strong tone.

Ace. OK, I can understand why people like his voice. It's pretty good, but there's just no real depth to it. It's a very shallow voice and his tone has no depth. Yes, he can sing, but I find his voice very pedestrian to listen to. There's just no richness there, no power either.

Geeky dude needs to go, but next week.

When the crooner came out, the first thing I said to my wife was that he has completely lost his confidence based on how he was ripped last week. His body language reaked of self-consciousnesses. I think he's gone.

Jose is just painful to listen to. I thought the same last week. I think he's also gone this week.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: 3/1 American Idol...which guy gets the axe?

Elliott and Chris have clearly separated from the rest. Both of those guys are VERY VERY good in such different styles. I totally agreed with Randy on Chris, he could totally be on the radio RIGHT NOW.
    Agree with you on Chris, he is clearly the strongest right now. I don't get the fascination with Elliott. I don't like the songs he sings, I have to close my eyes when he performs...he just bores me. He has an Amish look to him, except I've seen Amish people with better teeth. I was with three people watching this tonight and while he was singing they couldn't stop talking about his physical appearance. I was staring at a plant thinking about how Taylor should have picked something better during his entire performance. Are we bad people? Shallow, maybe, but how many others are thinking the same thing?

And it's probably me, but I think his song choices are from space.

hated Gedeon last week, but thought he was really good this week. That guy has some pipes and just needs to find the right songs to showcase it. But I find him very annoying.
    Who relates to Sam Cooke tunes? This guy is out very soon and will never be heard from again, despite Paula telling him he will be a star "for decades."

I like Taylor again, but not as much as the past. He should be safe, though.
    Agree completely- and this guy can afford to pick a bad song this early. He's safe. He should do "Walkin' In Memphis" or something similar.

The only other one I liked was Fred Savage (Will?). I didn't care for his performance at all last week, but thought his voice actually sounded strong tonight. You can tell he's not fully developed yet vocally because he missed a few notes, but he's got a strong tone.
    I think this guy has a chance of being gone right now. He picked a song that was recorded before his target audience was born (and by Kenny Rogers no less) and I thought his performance felt like a high school play audition. In no way could I ever imagine this guy selling records. I would love to see a reality show where this guy and the crooner box each other.

Ace. OK, I can understand why people like his voice. It's pretty good, but there's just no real depth to it. It's a very shallow voice and his tone has no depth. Yes, he can sing, but I find his voice very pedestrian to listen to. There's just no richness there, no power either.
    I will disagree with you here, and perhaps I'm totally naive when it comes to voice, so forgive me if I am not backed up by voice theory/mechanics here.

Ace's problem tonight was in the song choice. This song would make 99% of males sound bad singing it. It goes all over the place with regards to range. To hit this song perfectly in one take after just one week of practice- I mean, if he could do that, he would have been signed already. I would call this a studio song, meaning that I'll bet even Daniel Bedingfield (the original artist) couldn't sing this perfectly in one take if he tried. I've never heard him do it live, but I'm guessing it would be disappointing to hear him do so. I've tried to sing this one, and if I start in a lower key I have trouble with the lower parts and if I start high...you get the picture. Or I could be totally wrong, but there's no way I would have tackled this one. Again, it's early, and there are enough dreadful singers left for Ace not to be worried one ounce. He could have done NKOTB and been fine.

You do have apoint with his voice strength, the more I think about it. Even though the song he chose was difficult, it does provide some points where even an average voice could sound strong performing it, I think, and he couldn't do it. He sounded nasally.

Geeky dude needs to go, but next week.
    He'll be in the final four men, just watch.

When the crooner came out, the first thing I said to my wife was that he has completely lost his confidence based on how he was ripped last week. His body language reaked of self-consciousnesses. I think he's gone.
    He's in way over his head and he knows it. There are only a handful of pop tunes he can sing in that style, and he already blew one of them with "Crazy Little Thing Called Love." He's toast, and probably tomorrow.

Jose is just painful to listen to. I thought the same last week. I think he's also gone this week.
    Never got this guy. Randy went nuts over a really lame performance last week and the guy was all over the place vocally.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-02-2006 at 02:02 AM.

MSNBC's non-scientific poll on favortie male vocalists:

Taylor Hicks: 38%
    Ace Young: 28%
    Chris Daughty: 18%

Everyone else hovered at 2% and below. I actually thought the geeky kid- Kevin Covais- would rank higher than he did at 2%.

This was out of 26,000 responses, so pretty interesting.

It was also to funny to see the "Copacabana" guy at 0%.

Agree pretty much with everything Mike and Dom have said. I do like Elliott. But he is a goofy looking guy and, like it or not, that plays into this competition.

Elliott reminds me a bit of Katharine over on the women's side. I think they are dicovering their voices and their talent as the weeks of the competition go by. Sometimes they have this look on their face like "is this singing really coming out of *me*" as they are performing.

Yeah, Kevin is turning into a pet of everyone. Which is OK for a week or 2. But I hate to see more talented people go by the wayside because he is cute and cuddly.

It will be interesting to hear Chris sing some other styles. He has the rock thing down pat and could be on the radio now. But don't they have country, blues, soul, etc. weeks? It will be interesting to see if he as an artist can adjust his style and talent to those kinds of songs.

Paula really needs to cut down on the booze and the pills. She hardly makes sense any more and mostly says "I agree with Randy". Randy is great. My opinions usually match up with Simons. And Ryan needs to get over this unresolved gay snarkiness with Simon. It's getting uncomfortable.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I really like Bucky for some reason. I hope he makes it to the final 6 or so. Really like his Southern Rock/Country style. He did a fine job on the Skynyrd song last week and Garth Brooks last night.

Guys, thanks for the updates. I didn't get to watch it--we taped it and hope to watch it before the results show tonight.

Taylor and Chris are my favorites. For some reason, though, my kids CAN'T STAND Taylor. They just think he's too weird.

My top four (without seeing last night's show of course), would be:

Chris
    Taylor
    Ace
    Elliott

I know, Elliott's weird (and Amish)...but he CAN sing.

Can't wait to see Bucky get axed. I know it's wrong, but I just don't like to look at him.

By the way...I live in Amish country--my next door neighbor is Amish (and no, his name isn't Elliott).
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I'm calling Kevin and David to get the boot this week. David is the easy choice, I think we've all had enough crooning for this season. Kevin may have some people on his side because of his youth, but he just flat stunk this week. I thought he had easily the worst performance of the night. Will and Sway are in trouble, but I think they last another week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Agree with you on Chris, he is clearly the strongest right now. I don't get the fascination with Elliott. I don't like the songs he sings, I have to close my eyes when he performs...he just bores me. He has an Amish look to him, except I've seen Amish people with better teeth. I was with three people watching this tonight and while he was singing they couldn't stop talking about his physical appearance. I was staring at a plant thinking about how Taylor should have picked something better during his entire performance. Are we bad people? Shallow, maybe, but how many others are thinking the same thing?

And it's probably me, but I think his song choices are from space.
    I really like his song choice last night, but I also like that style of music. It's different. The guy annoys me as well and I'd never buy an album, but he's got a great voice. His problem is he does nothing original with it. He basically just sings. He's dull.

Who relates to Sam Cooke tunes? This guy is out very soon and will never be heard from again, despite Paula telling him he will be a star "for decades."
    I agree that if he continues to sing this type of music, he'll be gone soon. I wasn't commenting on his chances as much as my own perception of his performance. But he also annoys the hell out of me. But I can't deny that vocally he's very very good. I think he's selling himself short with his song choices. But based on judges comments, my guess is he'll keep singing them. He could very well be gone next week, but he can still sing.

Agree completely- and this guy can afford to pick a bad song this early. He's safe. He should do "Walkin' In Memphis" or something similar.
    That's funny because I told my wife that I bet he'll sing that one sometime soon.

I think this guy has a chance of being gone right now. He picked a song that was recorded before his target audience was born (and by Kenny Rogers no less) and I thought his performance felt like a high school play audition. In no way could I ever imagine this guy selling records. I would love to see a reality show where this guy and the crooner box each other.
    I don't like that song and I agree about it turning most of his audience off. But stricly talking about the quality of his vocals, it was strong. He's got a great tone and color to his voice, but like others such as Paul, it's not necessarily suited for modern day Pop/R&B music. His voice is more suited for theatre when it fully matures. He's a guy who's got a good voice but hasn't learned how to sing yet.

I will disagree with you here, and perhaps I'm totally naive when it comes to voice, so forgive me if I am not backed up by voice theory/mechanics here.
    Yeah, we'll probably continue to disagree on Ace. I've never heard the song before so I have no idea how the original guy sounds. As I said before, the guy can sing. But he's very limited to what he can sing, even within the R&B genre he's choosing from. His voice sounds very whiny to me and I don't know else to explain it other than to say his voice quality lacks depth. Thers' no substance there. In other words, you could go to any university in the country and find a couple dozen guys who could duplicate his voice. Not his looks, but his voice. There's nothing distinguishable about it. If I heard it without seeing the whole package, I wouldn't think twice about it. It's boring. Take his looks away and I think strictly better singers were left behind in the elimination rounds. But he'll be in the top 6 because young girls are in love with the guy.

My problem with American Idol has been that they always have talented people, but rarely have anyone with truly rare talent. I first watched the show the last 5 weeks of season 1. And while I think the overall talent has gotten much better, I still think Kelly Clarkson is the best talent they've had. That girl can flat out sing, even though I don't like what they've done with her voice in the music she's recorded (even if it is selling like crazy). I think Tamyra Gray might be the second best talent they've had. I then watched the second season religiously and enjoyed it. I had aharder time getting into the third season, but continued to watch until Latoya London got booted. She might have even been second behind Kelly in talent. Last they lost me in the first week of the top 12. This year they seemed to have found some different types of singers as oppoesed to the boiler plates they'e had in the past. But the more they sing, I start to realize I might have been wrong. Chris is the only one unique, IMO. I knew a guy in high school who sang at my wedding who can sing about as well as most of the guys they've had on the show. I've known plenty of people throughout my life, both guys and girls, who are every bit as good as 90% of Idol contestants. Ocassionally someone with unique talent comes along, but my perception is that you could go to any city in the county and find a few dozen people who have no interest in a show like American Idol, or maybe they're a little too old, who can match the ability of the contestants. It's still fun to watch, but with a few exceptions, I don't think they really get people with rare talent.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    I'm calling Kevin and David to get the boot this week. David is the easy choice, I think we've all had enough crooning for this season. Kevin may have some people on his side because of his youth, but he just flat stunk this week. I thought he had easily the worst performance of the night. Will and Sway are in trouble, but I think they last another week.
    My guess is that Kevin will stick around for a while because he gets the geek votes. All those Napolean Dynamite types are wearing "Vote for Kevin" shirts now. It just seems to be the trend. Remember Jon Stevens? Geek. Every week we kept thinking, no way this dude makes it another week. And he kept hanging on. Remember Anthony Federov? Geek. Dude was bad but he kept getting the votes. It's a massive "get out the vote" effort by Geekdom.

I think the crooner goes and then it is between Jose, the Sam Cooke dude, and Bobby Brady.

My problem with American Idol has been that they always have talented people, but rarely have anyone with truly rare talent.
    I would agree here and also add that you've described today's music business as well. Most people are studio voices, which brings me to another point.

It seems a bit unfair to compare these newbies' live voices to professionals' studio voices as the judges often do.

Yeah, Mariah Carey sounds great on her records, but she doesn't sound nearly as good in person. It would be impossible to, IMHO. Most studio recordings take the best pieces form several takes and string them together to make an awesome sounding record. How many studio recordings are one take? "Man on the Moon" was the only one I ever knew to be.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I dont get the Taylor Hicks fascination. The guy looks like he suffers from turrets and throws too many "whoooo"s in his songs for me to like.

Gedeon annoys me. Just the expressions he makes and his HUGE smile that irritates me. Just some people come off as unlikable and he is one of them.

The crooner sucks...

Bucky is pretty unique, his voice its pretty raw but its way better than his talking voice which sounds like he stuffed manure in it... I like him for not being a phoney though.

Chris is pretty rocking. American Idol shouldnt be about a performer's ability to sing any genre. It should be about a performer's ability to entertain people and Chris' abilities in the rock genre should win him the title this year. He has everything down. Randy is right, this guy could be on the radio right now and excel. Its almost like he is a ringer or something.

Kevin...Chicken Little. This guy is getting strung along and is obviously naive in thinking that he REALLY is a sex symbol. The reason he gets his cheeks pinched by the ladies? They feel sorry for him. Why dont they do that to Chris or Ace? Because Chris and Ace dont need help in that department... though Ace might like the boys pinching his cheeks...Just a vibe Im getting from him.

Which leads me to Ace. That guy is really setting off my gaydar. It shouldn't matter in this competition but it does. Thats why Clay Aikens agent tries so hard to deny the fact but recent reports show that he is (took webcam pics of himself on manhunt.com)...which damages sales to the young teeny bopper girls who would buy Clay's album or Ace's.

Plus, the guy has an ok voice, but nowhere near rivaling Elliots.

Elliots has a face for radio. The dude's just ugly. His redeeming quality is that his voice is pretty great. He has range, control, versatility...has it all. His stage presence is bad though. He gets into it but the ugly factor might turn the little girl vote away (does any of us really vote?).

The ladies? I like Pickler because she is just so darn cute but she isnt that great of a singer. No one really impresses me much.

Brenna the beotch MUST go. She is hideous both talentwise and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I dont get the Taylor Hicks fascination. The guy looks like he suffers from turrets and throws too many "whoooo"s in his songs for me to like.
    I like Taylor Hicks because he's just unique and fun. He is an entertainer. He doesn't care what people think and those types always make the best entertainers.

If you take any one of his traits - the gray hair, the contortions, the bluegrassy feel he has - and only gave him one, he'd have gotten bounced in a hurry. But for some reason when you add all of that together it works. Can't really explain it.

Chris is pretty rocking. American Idol shouldnt be about a performer's ability to sing any genre. It should be about a performer's ability to entertain people and Chris' abilities in the rock genre should win him the title this year. He has everything down. Randy is right, this guy could be on the radio right now and excel. Its almost like he is a ringer or something.
    Totally agree on this. It always annoys me when the judges tell a singer he should try different styles and show other things that he just isn't as good at. Why should someone sing a song that doesn't fit them and lose votes, instead of doing what they do best? Especially when the judges will just tell them they need to get back in their element when they do try something different and it doesn't work well. The best strategy is to just sing what the viewers like to hear, and don't worry about trying to impress anyone with a batch of different styles that you don't do all that well anyway.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I like Taylor Hicks because he's just unique and fun. He is an entertainer. He doesn't care what people think and those types always make the best entertainers.
    He is unique yes, but his act is starting to grate on me. He reminds me of robert deniro for some reason...his facial expressions when he is "feeling" the music. Just annoying now.

He is unique yes, but his act is starting to grate on me. He reminds me of robert deniro for some reason...his facial expressions when he is "feeling" the music. Just annoying now.
    Yeah, I can see the Deniro thing.
    Last edited by max venable; 03-02-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Turn Off Ads?