Turn Off Ads?

Thread: And This One Belongs to The Reds?

And This One Belongs to The Reds?

Just curious, this might be a stupid question but it's bothering me a lot. As we all know, Marty uses "And this one belongs to the Reds!" to end every Reds game. I have heard the story from him at various times on air about how he first used the phrase his first or second season to describe an exciting Reds win. I have always assumed this was his orginal tagline and he created it himself.

This afternoon I bought MLB Audio from mlb.com for the season. I've been listening to various games this afternoon as I do work and I have to admit I love hearing some of the announcers live that I have never heard before. I was listening to the Giants/Brewers game which the Giants won. At the end of the game, there was a double play and John Miller ended the game with "And this one belongs to the Giants." Like I said, this was one of the few times I've listened to games other the Reds on the radio. Does John always use this phrase and, for that matter, do other announcers? I've always enjoyed Marty using it and thought it was his own tagline and his signature call.

Any thoughts or help on this one?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: And This One Belongs to The Reds?

Correct me if I'm wrong (GIK, Boss), but didn't you guys consider putting that phrase in the header of Redszone's home page? And didn't you find out that it was trademarked and that you'd have to get Marty's permission? Or am I all wet on this one (along with lots of others that I'm all wet on)?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I don't know either. A few days ago, I heard someone on XM MLB Home Plate attribute "Roundin' third and headin' for home" to Curt Gowdy.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

This is a couple of years old, but I came across this breakdown on MLB.com about each team's announcers and some of their signature phrases:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ne..._mlb&fext=.jsp

Also, I've got a Baseball Reader with stories and poetry and non-fiction pieces about baseball. Great book, but they have the transcript of Vin Scully calling the ninth inning of Sandy Koufax's perfect game (65 or 66?). It is an amazing piece of literature, the simplicity of the descriptions, the shortness of the phrasing, and hard to believe it was right off the cuff announcing. For those interested, I think the book is actually called The Baseball Reader and it may be available from the Hamilton County library. I double check the title and editor's name.

That is the name of the book I mentioned, The Baseball Reader, edited by Charles Epstein. I believe a second volume may have been issued too. A great read, especially if you can just read short bits at a time.

Turn Off Ads?