Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Four Tiny Tidbits On: The Reds (3/2)

Four Tiny Tidbits On: The Reds (3/2)

Kinda snotty, but I guess that's how it's supposed to be. Tomorrow they're doing the Dodgers.

03/02/06
    Four Tiny Tidbits On: The Reds

We’re just more than a month from Opening Day, so it’s time to start previewing the season. Inspired by an old feature on The Black Table, we’re going team-by-team and distributing Four Things You Don’t Know about them. We’re not sure how this is gonna work, but if you have suggested oddities on your team, send them to us at tips@deadspin.com. Today: The Cincinnati Reds.

• 1. Their Owner Was, Um, Different. Marge Schott (maiden name Margaret Unnewehr) was suspended three times by MLB, in 1992, ‘93, and ‘94, for praising Hitler. (OK, not just praising Hitler. But that didn’t help.) She had a lot of money and wanted to keep it that way. In 1990, she made outfielder Eric Davis pay for his own plane ticket home from Oakland after Davis got out of the hospital following the Reds’ sweep of the A’s in the 1990 World Series. All he did was lacerate a kidney while diving for a ball in Game Four. Schott’s collection of baseball memorabilia (she passed away in 2004) will be auctioned off on March 31. No word on whether the Nazi armband she reportedly owned is among the collectibles.

• 2. “Now Batting For Ken Griffey Jr. …” Since becoming a Red in 2000, Ken Griffey Jr. has had two hamstring injuries, two knee injuries, one shoulder injury and has played ONE full season for the team. But he is nowhere near the most brittle Reds player ever; Kal Daniels once missed a game because he strained his eyelash.

• 3. Third On The Depth Chart, First In Our Hearts. Adam Dunn was the University of Texas’ QB behind Major Applewhite and Chris Simms. That’s why he’s playing baseball and striking out an average of 147 times per season.

• 4. Facts About Pete Rose That Don’t Involve Point Spreads. It’s a scientific fact that Pete Rose’s quote, “I’d walk through Hell wearing a gasoline suit” is the coolest quote about baseball ever. Rose, by the way, got the name “Charlie Hustle” from Whitey Ford … who was making fun of him.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/baseb...eds-157880.php
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Four Tiny Tidbits On: The Reds (3/2)

It’s a scientific fact that Pete Rose’s quote, “I’d walk through Hell wearing a gasoline suit” is the coolest quote about baseball ever.
    IIRC he said he's do that for Sparky, not baseball.

BTW all that info is the stuff the color guy from Pittsburg tells you in May.

But he is nowhere near the most brittle Reds player ever; Kal Daniels once missed a game because he strained his eyelash.
    That was actually Chris Brown. And I know he was with the Reds for a short time but I think that occured when he was playing for SF or SD.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    IIRC he said he's do that for Sparky, not baseball.
    No, I think the exact quote was "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit just to play baseball." Too lazy to look this up to confirm, but I'm pretty sure about that.

Of course, it's very possible he said it once, saw that it became legendary, and said it again in different form : (my first smiley ever)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Too bad his accomplishments mean nothing. Say the name Pete Rose and people mock. Pete tore himself down, but I've never seen someone so villified because of an action. Hell, you could kill someone and get more empathy than Pete does.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Too bad his accomplishments mean nothing. Say the name Pete Rose and people mock. Pete tore himself down, but I've never seen someone so villified because of an action. Hell, you could kill someone and get more empathy than Pete does.
    True. But most murderers I would think are expected by the public to deny, deny, deny what they done. If they tell the truth it's a difference between a life of encarceration, possible freedom and the chair. If Pete would have just said "alright you caught me" and then actually felt bad about it, things could have been different. But then again I doubt it as Selig was lying through his teeth when he agreed to re-instate Rose if he 'fessed up, and I think most everyone knows this. Pete should have checked out the :fineprint!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Too bad his accomplishments mean nothing.
    Really?

I beg to differ, the man is the hits leader, had an incredible run of healthy seasons with multi positional skills and the ability to hit 40 2b's in his sleep.

Pete the player gets his due, it's the guy that popped up later that takes the heat. Anybody who watched him play in the 70's knows that.

Pete the player gets his due, it's the guy that popped up later that takes the heat. Anybody who watched him play in the 70's knows that.
    60s and 70s, I'd say.

Most exciting player I ever saw -- loved him as a player. Then, once he started player-managing and putting himself at 1B over Esasky, I turned. It only got uglier, obviously.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Really?

I beg to differ, the man is the hits leader, had an incredible run of healthy seasons with multi positional skills and the ability to hit 40 2b's in his sleep.

I don't know if he does though. You say Pete Rose to someone now and I bet they talk about his off the field stuff only.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    I don't know if he does though. You say Pete Rose to someone now and I bet they talk about his off the field stuff only.
    And whose fault is that?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Maybe the man on the street, real baseball fans know that he was a bulldog as a player.

As for the man on the street, I stopped worrying about them years ago.

In my opinion the genius and the tragedy go hand in hand. It was his all-out, extremist nature that made him such a great ballplayer and also so subject to seedy things. His fall was so tragic precisely because he was so great. That's just the way these things go sometimes, they're linked and we probably never would have had Pete the player without Pete the jerk and vice versa.

Pete has made quite a comeback on the boards these last couple of days. For better or for worse his name will be linked with baseball forever and ever, because of BOTH the ballplayer and the guy he was. There's no separating the two which is in my opinion why it's so hard to label him all good or all bad. He's just a complicated, frustrating, heartbreaking, fascinating figure.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    In my opinion the genius and the tragedy go hand in hand. It was his all-out, extremist nature that made him such a great ballplayer and also so subject to seedy things. His fall was so tragic precisely because he was so great. That's just the way these things go sometimes, they're linked and we probably never would have had Pete the player without Pete the jerk and vice versa.

Pete has made quite a comeback on the boards these last couple of days. For better or for worse his name will be linked with baseball forever and ever, because of BOTH the ballplayer and the guy he was. There's no separating the two which is in my opinion why it's so hard to label him all good or all bad. He's just a complicated, frustrating, heartbreaking, fascinating figure.
    Pete is not that complicated. In fact, he is more like an autistic savant except instead of being able to look at a jar of marbles and count them all, he can recall every at bat he ever had with perfect clarity. Pete never demonstrated anything like a "life skill" outside the ballpark. He was built by his father to play baseball, to charge through brick walls and to never admit defeat. The third quality seems to be alive and well.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?